LegacyGT.com

What "stuff" did 4th gen Legacys come with?

I'm deep into looking for a 4th gen wagon, and as you can imagine by this time they are in all kinds of conditions. I'm new to Subaru, and I'm trying to understand what original "stuff" the car came with, to know what might be missing when I evaluate a candidate. I did try searching the forum, but I didn't come up with a thread even close to this information. Apologies in advance if my search skills inhale.

How many keys would it have been delivered with, for a full set? Floor mats? Privacy cover for the cargo area? Were the engine compartment covers the same for the whole 4th gen run? Other stuff? I know that some of the stuff I've seen might be extra/upgrades, not standard equipment, or even aftermarket, but I'd like to understand the baseline if I can.

Here you go, best comprehensive info on the 4th gens as they came from the factory.

http://www.cars101.com/legacy.html

Thank you, neighbor!

I'm looking at Legacy GT and Outback XT. I see that both come with immobilizer key with separate remote fob until 2008, but I don't see how many come with the car; a pic of an STi set shows what looks like two immobilizer keys and a valet key, different looking anyway.

The cargo tray looks like standard on both. Cargo nets are options.

Carpet mats are standard. Rubber floor mats are options.

Underbody cover is standard on the Legacy GT; seems to be absent on Outback XT.

Does this assessment vary from actual practice?

after 15 years, finding a car with sll of its original equipment will be nearly impossible. The options usually sell cheap because every one has at least one set they don't use. In the case of luggage racks, the yakima low mount was far superior to the oem setup.

many cars get upgraded to the specb or edm/jdm interiors too

Thanks, I'm well aware. It's helpful when you're looking at a car to know if it's, for instance, a one-owner car with all of the stuff it came with originally, versus a four-owner car with a single aftermarket key. The first case makes you feel a little better about how much care the owner might have taken of the car; the second case, while common, isn't confidence-inspiring. I would just like to know how they started out.

Thank you, neighbor!

I'm looking at Legacy GT and Outback XT. I see that both come with immobilizer key with separate remote fob until 2008, but I don't see how many come with the car; a pic of an STi set shows what looks like two immobilizer keys and a valet key, different looking anyway.

The cargo tray looks like standard on both. Cargo nets are options.

Carpet mats are standard. Rubber floor mats are options.

Underbody cover is standard on the Legacy GT; seems to be absent on Outback XT.

Does this assessment vary from actual practice?

Sounds about right.

They would typically come with two primary keys/fobs and a valet key.

Not sure how many are still that way after 15yrs, but that was typical.

I would say there is a solid bell curve for these cars at this point.

Single Owner near original -> modified to varying degrees -> modified to be more reliable than stock.

Exceedingly rare -> Fairly Common -> Quite rare

There are a number of stickies for red flags to look out for like "new turbo" and stuff like that. Highly recommend reading through them before purchasing.

These cars can be completely amazing vehicles (you can pry mine out of my cold, dead fingers... maybe), but if not properly cared for, they can be nice money pits.

Best of luck, always looking for more people that can help us peer pressure each other into the continuous cycle of better stuff. :-D

Thanks, I'm hoovering up all the info I can find to try to put myself in position to make the best decision I can, knowing that you can never know everything.

My Audi was a similar exercise. I determined what the major problem areas were, eventually found a pretty well-maintained model only a couple of hours away, had a pre-purchase inspection done that came up pretty clean and still had to pull the engine for timing system repairs. But they're a pretty strong platform if properly maintained, and not abused.

I've been gathering info on blown turbos, catted up-pipes, head gasket failures, ring-land failures, radiator failures and rusty rear wheel wells, but I always want to learn more. Knowing how they started out, generally, is helpful in assessing where they are now. The more I know now, the better decisions I can potentially make.

Mine never had a roof rack or the optional under-seat subwoofer, but it has one of the original keys plus a newer style of Subaru key that you could find on something like a base-model Forester today, so that's neat. One less object to carry around. No valet key here. My car also has 212K and I'm the third or fourth owner.

As boxkita said, come to the west for one of these. They're abundant (especially in Oregon and Washington) and the majority will have no rust. If you find one you don't like, go on FB Marketplace or Craigslist and find 15 more.

As for engine covers, the 2.5 turbo engine uses an engine cover that has a cutout for the top-mount intercooler. The regular NAs may not have actually had one, I'm not certain. My mother's NA 2006 Forester does not have one, and it's a two-owner car including her. Google isn't turning up much there, so I'm guessing they didn't have one.

All wagons come with a privacy cover. It's a two-part system with a tonneau cover that breaks all the time and a privacy cover that attaches to that whole system and covers the space between the trunk and the tonneau cover end. They also come with a full-sized spare tire and a jack. My car is missing the part of the jack that spins the little handle to jack the car up, so you gotta use the lug wrench to turn that thing. Tedious, but luckily I haven't gotten a flat. My car came with two cargo nets in the trunk, but I don't know if those are optional or not.

Floor mats are carpeted from the factory but nearly all Subaru dealers here include rubber mats with their cars because people take them camping, up mountains, and it rains here.

The net on the back of the front seat (only one seatback has a map pocket net) is prone to looking like an old teabag after awhile. Sometimes they're missing if the rear was used to haul kids and they kicked the shit out of it. The plastic coverings for the seatbelt exit slots in the back of the backseats comes out too. Hard to explain it, but it's a little guide where your shoulder sits on the backseat where the seatbelt comes out of the seat (they don't come out of the C pillar on the wagons, can't speak for sedans). Mine are both missing.

Wagons came with a couple styles of mudguards from what I've seen. Mine have almost all fallen off at some point, front and rear. There's the basic mudguard style that's mundane and then there's a slightly more aggressive style, like on this car.

67945841_407832666757384_8934014924776318938_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=B-2hr6GwOX8AX9gSJ6o&oh=1ec3b10f9e5968557d11f9e408bcce8c&oe=5EEBB2A7

I hope that helped in some way. In reality, these cars are old now. Don't fret if they're missing a key or owner's manual.

Edited by Pleides

If it's missing the owners manual have one of mine :lol: I'm the 3rd owner. Mine came with 2 immobilizers w/ fobs & 1 valet key, a tonneau cover (had to replace it), original carpet floor mats (picked up another set off here), and the rubber rear cargo mat.

I will say there were two styles of fobs Subaru used. My original fob for my 3.0R looked to have been made for the car specifically. The two fobs I have for the 2.5i look to be generic and not as special. I'll be going to get a new one soon enough, so I'll post a pic if I think about it.

3.0Rs and LGT/XTs come with engine covers. Nothing else does.

All Outbacks come with factory crossbars, some ppl like to remove these from the rails. Some ppl like to swap the rails out entirely for Legacy or Liberty rails.

Nothing else comes to mind.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Big thanks to each of you! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to see.

I'm in the south, and I get a little apprehensive about seeing cars from Ohio, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and those kinds of places due to the rust factor. Shopping out west is a possibility, but either doing the deal remotely with the title and money exchange and shipping, or flying out and driving back in a 15 year old car just bought from a stranger, each comes with challenges.

But this thread is about what the original stuff on the Legacy GT wagons or Outback XTs was, and it is fulfilling its purpose. Thanks again, and if anyone thinks of something to add, please do.

May be if I get time, I'll upload the show room brochure that I still have from June 2004 when I bought mine.

I ordered the STS, Subwoofer, mid-range kit, auto-dimming mirror. Mine has a MOMO wheel but I thought I ordered that too. I can check my window sticker and sales paperwork.

When you get one, there's a member hear that give you the build date info. mine was 194th 5mt GT wagon built on May 28 2004, they made 22 of them that day. It's 1 of 108 Black un-Limited's.

Edit, yes the cars came with the MOMO wheel.

The STI STS was P/N C1010AG000

The Subwoofer H630SAG000

Auto Dimming mirror H5010LS003

rear cargo tray J501SAG050JD

Just saw on the window sticker, where the car came with six speakers.

I also see the Cabin Air filter wasn't available until Aug 2004.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i bought a one-way ticket and met the seller at the airport with a certified check, drove it home 1500 miles. ymmv.

Oh, I don't doubt that it has happened and worked out, and could again. But also how many posts do you see about someone who is sick of his problem car and just needs to get it running so he can sell it? Maybe not here, but that happens, too.

Oh, I don't doubt that it has happened and worked out, and could again. But also how many posts do you see about someone who is sick of his problem car and just needs to get it running so he can sell it? Maybe not here, but that happens, too.

That only happens when you buy a legacy gt with a “New turbo” in the ad. Plenty of threads here about that.

I have bought 2 cars and 2 boats remotely and I am very picky. My recommendation is to pay someone to do through inspection, if you have any reservations and it isn't right walk away.

I bought my '12 GT from southern CA, I bought a round trip airline ticket and paid to have it shipped home. I would do that again. I bought another vehicle in VA, I did the one way plane ticket and drove it home.

after 15 years, finding a car with sll of its original equipment will be nearly impossible. The options usually sell cheap because every one has at least one set they don't use.

This. Even if the car came factory with some sort of floor mats or an extra key or cargo bay stuff, don't expect that stuff to still be there 15 years later.

For mats specifically, I would 100% recommend Weathertech floor trays as opposed to your standard mat.

-Justin

I got lucky with my buy. It was from someone that buys auction cars and flips them. I have never done a carfax to see the PO history but I am willing to bet that I am the second owner when I bought it at 205k. It came with the window sticker, dealership checklist, 3 keys, plus the stamped metal code for the immobilizer. Untouched no mods. Still had an OE turbo with catted up-pipe (how it lasted to 205k is beyond me). It still had the engine cover. Only thing missing is the engine under tray (the rest of the under body plastic was still there.

Max who is the person able that is able to decode the build number and date info? I am curious. I know of the page that tells graphically the number of each color/interior combo were built each year. here

Boxkita what is the yakima rack you speak of? I am assuming it is discontinued now. I just bought the OE cross bars and also use modified Forester cross bars.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I seem to recall it was member Alphius from this thread. See post #77

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2007-2009-spec-b-production-numbers-259183p2.html

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't think a full size spare was standard, although it does fit.

Most owners put a full size spare under the floor and take out the cargo tray.