LegacyGT.com

BRZ STi - So it begins...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, no turbo.

"STI is working on finalizing creation of the special version of BRZ, which would be unveiled in "some time" (secret). Turbocharger is NOT in the concept of this greatly balanced FR sports car, so we would concentrate our developments on suspension, handling, performance improvements and sports styling. The turbocharged version of BRZ will remain only in GT300 Championship."

-Hiroyuki Karamatsu, President of Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI)

Who here has actually driven it and thinks it needs a turbo? I havent driven it but seems like a smart choice to keep this platform na.

I spoke with a young 20 something at the gas pumps the other day about his BRZ. He said much over 4000rpm the thing has no power.

He said a good thing because he would get to many tickets.

I'm glad aftermarket company's make turbo kits for these things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As I see it - the BRZ is trying to get into the Miata segment, and instead of selling a top model expensive you sell a decent model and then leave the tuning to the aftermarket.

That also makes room for some decent factory kits.

Another factor is the CAFE rules (or similar depending on where in the world you live). These are probably the main reason for selling a NA car.

453747.png

I think na is perfect for sales. Turbo would prob move the car from "woweeee this is fun" to "oh crap... Tree!!!!" For 99% of the people. And also make the car $35k

I heard that they have plenty of power being n/a and the brz is a beautiful car but I only have a few problem with it. First of all, I understand why they did rear wheel drive, that's all fine and dandy but it makes it kind of worthless for me living in Colorado, and it's a subaru, That's part of their reputation is to be awd. But I van look past that. The thing that really bothers me is not haVing a turbo. That's fine they can make a fast n/a car but the power band differences between a fast n/a car and a fast turbo are incredible and make it so much more fun to drive! Plus its a lot easier to upgrade a turbo than to Add one to a system that never had one. That being said I have heard the new ff engine is supposed to be able to make a ton of power real easy. I love the brz but in the end I just think they could have done alot more with it. That new wrx concept on the other hand is just ridiculously gorgeous.

I've driven cars with lots of power, but I still found the BRZ plenty fast. That said, my daily driver (and my ONLY car) is a slow, 15 year old Outback, so obviously anything will feel fast to me. I can understand people saying it could use more power. My issue is with people who say it is SLOW. The word slow annoys me, because it isn't REALLY. It's just not FAST.

All I know is we drove the **** out of a test car down a twisty back road and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so what more could you ask for? I won't say NO to more power, but to me the handling and ride more than makes up for the slower acceleration.

Ive driven the BRZ a couple times and coming from a stage 2 spec b, one of my first reactions was "Why arent I moving fast?". I loved the handling and being able to just throw yourself into a tight corner going a decent speed. It takes some balls to be honest, you have to be comfortable and confident that the car can actually do it. Going around the twisties and through back roads I found the power to be pretty tolerable. But once I started to get on the on-ramp for the highway, thats when it hit me. The feeling you get when your at 3-3200k rpm and the car feels like a dog being held back on a leash waiting to be unleashed..... it wasnt there.

Now you have to think to yourself, would you have more fun scaring passengers with back breaking boost or with heart stopping corning?

Living in New England, its way more practical to have AWD. So i just have to settle for boost, but just add aftermarket suspension components to make up for the handling. Obviously its not going to be just as good, and ill never be able to shave the weight, but its good enough for me.

^ I agree... for most people, in a good chunk of the country, the BRZ would make for a shitty daily driver, with no second car.

No passenger/cargo space... Not good in the elements... etc etc.

Also, just like with the Miata, I think there's a certain tool-bag factor that is inherent to owning one of these. Even if you aren't a tool bag; people will think you are! :lol:

What kind of cargo space does one need? Several grocery bags fit, a set of tires/wheels fits with rear 'seats' folded. It's fine 'in the elements', not worse than 95% of cars out there. It's more fun than AWD car in snow up to 3-4in deep with decent winter rubber. If you have kids - yeah, I can see how that's not good enough to be the only car, otherwise it's okay. I've had it as my only car for about a year.

The lack of power will annoy you if you concentrate on power. I just flip a mental switch when I get into the BRZ and enjoy the handling/the feeling of connection to the road.

They should have put the H6 in there.

Yeah, in the back, lol.

I've taken one out for two test drives and really like it for what it is.

No need for a turbo in my opinion. At least on an OEM/stock car.

Would it be fun with a 1.6DIT or 2.0DIT? Sure.

Could it benefit from say an extra 20-50 HP? You bet.

But does it need it (especially in RWD flavor)? Nope.

To me, its a car in a class similar to the Mazda MX5/Miata or a Porsche Boxster, Peugeot RCZ. As much fun @ 30mph taking a suburb intersection corner with groceries in the passenger footwell as it is @ 100 mph coming to an end of a track straight, revving happily as you reduce gears and start to brake.

It becomes a go-kart with some balanced suspension mods, racing wheels and improved throttle response. And it doesn't need anything else to be a true weekend/racetrack warrior. The fun factor is light years beyond most cars double its price tag.

What kind of cargo space does one need? Several grocery bags fit, a set of tires/wheels fits with rear 'seats' folded. It's fine 'in the elements', not worse than 95% of cars out there. It's more fun than AWD car in snow up to 3-4in deep with decent winter rubber. If you have kids - yeah, I can see how that's not good enough to be the only car, otherwise it's okay. I've had it as my only car for about a year.

The lack of power will annoy you if you concentrate on power. I just flip a mental switch when I get into the BRZ and enjoy the handling/the feeling of connection to the road.

Yeah, in the back, lol.

If you own a house or have kids... It's gonna be tight.

No it won't. Toyota already gave up officially. Subaru - keep hoping. Those who really want it can go with aftermarket.

If the car had 250hp all the same people would be pointing to Mustang GT or something and would still be saying "it needs XX more hp". That's just human nature. Whatever you can have is okay but just a litttttle bit more would be just right.

^ I agree. For a specifically designed RWD 'sports car,' you would think that power would have been on the forefront of concern. Perhaps they were trying to appeal to savvy, more economical shoppers experiencing a midlife crisis (think pre turbo solstice) of some sort... But anywyas, this car would be the buzz of the industry if it came with a more productive motor; especially given the fact that most family sedans from kia and Hyundai these days, are putting down the same numbers. lol

Agreed. They should however have a more 'sporty' version of it for the true enthusiast out there... It would be nice to not have to mod something to death to get it to where you want it, and still be semi-affordable.

when the next gen WRX turbo 2.0 comes out i wont be surprised if people are swapping the motors. Even at that people are missing the point on what the BRZ/FRS was designed and built for. If they turbo'd the car they would cannibalize their own market segment (WRX owners). This allowed them to attract a new fan base (IE the miata lovers). I am sure everyone said the same thing about the miata when it came out and now everyone wants one cause they are fun to drive and compact.

Archived