LegacyGT.com

Key replacement for 2011

I just got my car a couple weeks ago but it only came with one key. The Subaru dealership is telling me it's going to be $200 to replace the key.

Do any of you know if I can just buy the key blank and program the car to recognize the key myself or does it really need to be done through the dealership?

• 3 weeks later...
I believe you need the subaru select monitor to register the immobilizer key with the body integrated unit.

Okay, so I'm pretty geeky (computer-wise), but I have no clue what this means. I have the same question as the original poster: 2011 Legacy with only one key (the wife lost the other). I'd like to get a spare, just in case.

Hopefully, I don't have to go to a dealer to get one. :)

Okay, so I'm pretty geeky (computer-wise), but I have no clue what this means. I have the same question as the original poster: 2011 Legacy with only one key (the wife lost the other). I'd like to get a spare, just in case.

You can buy a blank key off ebay and take it to a automotive locksmith who can cut and program it for you. Just remember to take all your keys and remotes. Or if you are really into diy I believe you can program them yourself with a procedure in the fsm, it is a fairly complicated task that requires a lot of patience.

If you find an online subaru retailer they can cut the key for you by the vin and then you just need to take it and get it programmed. I paid about 130 for a new key and programming on my 07 tribeca, only difference is the laser/side cutting with the newer key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The Subaru select monitor is the dealers special tool used to program the body integrated unit, among other things. For registering all of the components associated with the immobilizer system, you need to use that - so it's either a dealer or a shop that purchased one of their own (it is not inexpensive...) - you can register the remote lock/unlock things on your own, but the immobilizer system does not work that way. There are no procedures defined in the FSM (at least nothing in the 2012 FSM)

You can have the key cut anywhere that does that sort of thing, but registering the associated immobilizer tag with the car is not a DIY sort of activity.

I was able to find a security/locksmith company that does newer model cars with the immobilizers and stuff and they quoted me $145. $65 better than the dealers $210.

A-Max Securities in the Portland Oregon area.

http://www.amaxsecurity.com/

This would be a good place to share the name of the locksmith you used so others in your area with the same issue can have it.

Afaik, the security/immobilizer unit is an aftermarket system integrated into the car, but it is still aftermarket and should be able to be programmed the same way and does probably require some specialized device to do so. While the ssm can do the key programing I doubt it is the only means of programming them. Link to the diy method which I don't endorse doing but there it is.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless2010.html

As I mentioned, you can program the remote keyless entry yourself (that's what the procedure you linked to is for) but for registering the immobilizer (which is a separate chip - if you search for the folks that have made the flip keys, they show you how to remove it) you have to use the SSM.

As I mentioned, you can program the remote keyless entry yourself (that's what the procedure you linked to is for) but for registering the immobilizer (which is a separate chip - if you search for the folks that have made the flip keys, they show you how to remove it) you have to use the SSM.

You are correct, for some reason I was thinking programming the 8 digit number did that, there is also ssmiii which I thought a member on here was messing around with, maybe percitus?

https://subaru.locksmithsdrm.com/sr-sdrm/subaru_replacement_key_info.pdf

I had a company who said they can program it, and it didn't work. So I had dealership do just the programming part, and had another company cut the keys. It added up to almost the same price as just having the dealership do the whole thing lol. Btw, if you are getting a new key, do the flip-key mod.

All,

I'd like to make a duplicate key / keyless remote for my 2013 Legacy. I'd rather not pay a dealer through the nose, but at the same time, I'm struggling to synthesize this thread and understand what it means for me.

I've been advised by FLLegacy that my best bet would be a "flip key kit and used fob/key". But when I go to Ben Johnson's website ( http://bit.ly/1P1NzOy ), he doesn't appear to have any remotes for the 2013 Legacy. So that seems a dead-end.

Is there still a practical non-dealer solution, and can anyone advise me as to the specific steps I should take? Thanks,

Jay

Archived