LegacyGT.com

*Hypothetical* EG33 Swap and Emissions Testing

Hi all. This is a bit of a strange question, but I came up with this question as a thinking exercise - *I don't condone FEDERALLY ILLEGAL emissions equipment modifications.*

So, hypothetically, if someone wanted to swap an EG33 into a '06 LGT, how would they pass OBDII inspection? Is it possible to program the SVX ECU to have the same VIN as the LGT? Would there be a way to have the LGT ECM/ECU run by itself with spoofed sensors so that it can be hooked to the OBD port so nothing seems out of the ordinary? I don't know what kind of info these OBD scanners require.

Would twin TDO4 turbos fit the displacement of the engine banks well? Looking for 325-375WHP.

Also, hypothetically, the person who would want to do this would know that this is a stupid, stupid idea and that it would be an expensive, tedious project. Would this even be a remotely possible idea?

Edit: upon further consideration and research, I've decided that the EZ36 might actually be a better option. Thanks for your input, everybody.

As I understand it in CA (although maybe federal as well?), you can only swap newer engine (plus all applicable smog equipment) into older body, NOT the other way around. So you could, in theory, put an EJ257 into an SVX body, including the air pump / cats, EGR, etc.. The theory being that, you can go to MORE ADVANCED pollution controls, not the other way around.

Does PA have a visual inspection? Seeing two turbos in a single-turbo OEM car would be an easy fail here..

As I understand it in CA (although maybe federal as well?), you can only swap newer engine (plus all applicable smog equipment) into older body, NOT the other way around. So you could, in theory, put an EJ257 into an SVX body, including the air pump / cats, EGR, etc.. The theory being that, you can go to MORE ADVANCED pollution controls, not the other way around.

Does PA have a visual inspection? Seeing two turbos in a single-turbo OEM car would be an easy fail here..

Supposedly it's just a gas cap check and an OBD scan for the region I'm in.

Sent from an Internet-connected device using an application.

Anything is possible. But imho it is not worth it. No way to make that Cali legal.
Newbie here-

I know that Cali has strict emissions regulations but will that affect me in PA? I don't plan on ever driving or moving to CA. I feel like an idiot asking this.

Thanks.

What do you like about the EG33 that an ez30/36 can't do for you?

Something like the MCM supergramps build.

I think the EG33 would be cheaper than the EZ30. The EZ36 is overkill plus the fuel economy seems atrocious. The EG also has more documentation, like the SVX dedicated websites, and there's a YouTube channel named EazyOnCars where someone put an EG into his hawkeye Impreza, which would provide a useful starting point for my own swap.

Archived