LegacyGT.com

Help... Check engine light flashing. Rough idle..

I have a 2015 3.6R.. While driving today I felt what I thought to be a blip or slight misfire... Then it happened again... And then was happening every 30 seconds.. I turned off the ac and it stopped for a few mins... Then it got worse.. Was chugging as I tried accelerating and the check engine light started flashing. Oddly the eyesight and traction turned themselves off as well? At a stop light I turned it off and back on.. Same thing.. I had no choice but to drive it about a mile home. Along the way it would act up. Then it would be fine.. no lights flashing? Could it be bad gas? Nothing like this has ever happened before.. I'm kinda freaking out. Any insight? I don't have a code puller.. Gonna get one tomorrow and or have it towed to Subaru. I'm just thankful it happened near home.

When was the last time you changed your filter? Cleaned the maf sensor?

Start cheap.

I had issues on hot/humid days with rough starts. Cleaned maf sensor and that seemed to have fixed the problem. No more issues. Just passed 70k recently. Need to change my plugs soon.

When replacing plugs also clean the ignition coils using brake cleaner. Don't use WD40 since it leaves an oil residue that attracts dirt and can lead to misfires again soon. And check/adjust the plug gaps before installing them - sometimes the stock plugs can be "off" from what they should be. And use the NGK plugs designated for the vehicle - they are known to work. Other brands aren't as reliable in my experience.

Whenever there's a detected fault it's automatically turning off all non-essential functions like eyesight and traction control so that's normal.

After filter change and MAF cleaning also check for loose hoses and the PCV valve as well.

Also get a code reader - it's going to help a lot since as soon as the problem manifests itself then read the code. You can of course go to some places like Autozone to get the code but that would not always be an option and some codes are elusive.

When you know the codes it's time to step it up and check ignition coils and injectors.

453747.png

I'm guessing the things possibly needed aren't covered under warranty... I have the gold plus warranty...

You don't know until you have had that checked - check with dealer and if the dealer denies it then SOA.

453747.png

Translated it means Cylinder 5 is misfiring.. And parts recommended to replace are ignition coil and spark plugs. Spark plugs aren't covered, maybe the coil is?

Is this something I should attempt or just have it towed, yet again to the dealership. .?

Translated it means Cylinder 5 is misfiring.. And parts recommended to replace are ignition coil and spark plugs. Spark plugs aren't covered, maybe the coil is?

Is this something I should attempt or just have it towed, yet again to the dealership. .?

Did you try the Fuel Cap make sure it was on tight and yes possibly bad gas if its Hot you could be vapor locking. Maybe try some Seafoam In the tank before taking it to the dealer..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dealership... again....??? Has someone recently worked on your car? If so I would just check to make sure all your wiring and connections are secure. Wiggle some wires while its running to see if anything changes.

If they aren't covered by warranty..... i doubt they are, swap the coil with another one and see if the problem follows or stays, if it stays I would remove and inspect spark plug, if it looks fouled then replace. If the code moves to a different cylinder I would replace the coil. If the spark plug is fine, and the problem is the same with a swapped coil, I would then swap injectors..... if you get what i'm saying!

You can pretty much diagnose without buying anything!! I learned the hard way. It pays to just do some simple troubleshooting first before running to the dealer etc.

Unless you don't know how to work on a car, then yea go to the stealership!

How did you know it is cylinder 5?

Spark plugs don't usually randomly dies unless they are exposed to something like an oil leak. Of course it may still happen but then they aren't that expensive to be a headache from a cost perspective.

It's more likely that the coil or injector is the cause in your case. But a compression test is of course worth to perform when you are messing around in that area anyway - it takes some work but won't hurt anything.

453747.png

Ok. I'm gonna attempt it on my own. Anyone know where I could get some type of repair guide? Online? I don't even know which cylinder is 5 or 4.. and there are six of them lol. Another clue is.. I drove thru a horrible rain storm last week... that's when I felt the first subtle hiccup... and it's been crazy humid here for awhile

Lift the rear of the cover then slide it forward. Everything else I sent in a PM. Good luck!

Blow the water out... hmmmm. Like with

duster? Or brake clean? My first obstacle is getting the engine cover off, clueless as to how..... and the cylinder numbers...

Did you try the Fuel Cap make sure it was on tight and yes possibly bad gas if its Hot you could be vapor locking. Maybe try some Seafoam In the tank before taking it to the dealer..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sea foam really? I dunno about that...

Archived