LegacyGT.com

Auto window roll up issue

I have a 2016 legacy and randomly, when auto closing the passenger side window from driver side control, the passenger window reaches the top then rolls down half way. To get the window to close all the way, you have to slowly roll it up until it closes. If you use the auto feature, it rolls right back down halfway after reaching the top. Why did this happen and what to do to fix it? Thanks everyone.

try resetting the window.Follow the steps shown below to complete the initialization procedure.

IMPORTANT: It will be necessary to repeat the same initialization procedure on the passenger door

power window switch (if equipped with the Auto Up / Down feature).

NOTE: There have also been isolated cases reported where the passenger front window was

inoperable from the driver’s door power window master switch. Performing the initialization procedure

on the passenger side window remedied the condition.

STEP 1 - Close the driver’s door.

STEP 2 - Switch the ignition to the “ON” position.

STEP 3 - LIGHTLY press down on the driver’s window switch to lower the driver’s

window halfway.

STEP 4 - Pull UP on the driver’s window switch to raise the window and close it

completely. Continue pulling the switch up for 1 second after the window

is completely closed.

STEP 5 - Verify proper function. If the feature does not resume normal operation,

it is likely the switch was held up for longer than the 1 second as

described in Step 4. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 again. If normal operation is

still not restored, proceed with the diagnostic steps outlined in the

applicable Service Manual.

Probably a bit of a long shot, but you may want to verify that nothing is jammed inside of the door frame. The front windows will automatically roll back down if it detects resistance when closing (e.g. if there was a hand in the opening). I can't recall how far exactly it rolls back down, but it could be worth checking.

This should be up front and central in the manual, not hidden away in the middle of the book.

So it's the manual's fault you didn't read as far as Chapter 2?

(In all fairness, back in 2015 Subaru had to remind all of their dealer service facilities about this same issue. Apparently, some technicians were replacing perfectly good window switches and controllers, when all that was needed was to re-initialize the window controllers.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So it's the manual's fault you didn't read as far as Chapter 2?

(In all fairness, back in 2015 Subaru had to remind all of their dealer service facilities about this same issue. Apparently, some technicians were replacing perfectly good window switches and controllers, when all that was needed was to re-initialize the window controllers.)

I did read the manual but I admit it's my fault that I didn't memorize it. :rolleyes:

Archived