LegacyGT.com

Wtf is with all the new members..

I love the community growing but you new members buying into our tried and true legacy scene is killing me. Don't ask what's been answered a million times over. Google search it. It will bring you back to the forum thread with everything you what to learn.

Be prepared to spend money, tight budgets and wallet easy are not for the legacy. These cars require care and maintenance. We are not boy racer wrx sti crowd. We will tell you how it is, if it's to much for your ears then sell your car and do us all a favor.

But again. Welcome all new members, please read all stickies before making any posts!!! What we have built in stickies in the last 5+ and 10+ years for some members is invaluable, don't spit in our faces by failing to read what's perfectly documented for you!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The car's are getting to be an awesome price for a super reliable fast car that was built well. Not many cars would I consider buying with almost 100k on the clock. I'm loving my 05 Legacy wagon. Nice interior tons of space and power with a great modding community.

Oh boy, here we go again with another OP getting all uptight with the noobies. OP, here's some advice, get over it and move one. Yes we all get a little tired of reading the same questions over and over again, but this is a car forum and there will always be someone new looking for advice. When I feel like it, I will answer a few questions and point them in the right direction, when I don't feel like it I just don't reply. Easy as that.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Oh boy, here we go again with another OP getting all uptight with the noobies. OP, here's some advice, get over it and move one. Yes we all get a little tired of reading the same questions over and over again, but this is a car forum and there will always be someone new looking for advice. When I feel like it, I will answer a few questions and point them in the right direction, when I don't feel like it I just don't reply. Easy as that.

Great minds think a like.

FWIW for the new guy's, check your oil level often until you learn how much oil it uses. Always top off the oil when you check it.

Save your money these things will get expensive fast. I bought my wagon new, I'm well into paying for it for the 3rd time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The car's are getting to be an awesome price for a super reliable fast car that was built well....

:lol: I'll add that based on some of the newer member threads, reliability reputation may be taking another hit soon.

Subaru knowledge isn't common sense in that you don't develop it over time unless you own one. I cut slack for people coming from a different genre of vehicle, it's the lack of research skills that makes me exit threads. I joined a little under three years ago, but I've only just started posting more frequently as I've been researching this entire time. Still don't know half the stuff I should.

We've got some good stickies here with great info, but I think the layout and locations is a little all over the place. Between the 4th gen forum, the technical turbo forum, and the walk-through forums, there is a lot of overlay in the stickies.

I like what Nasioc has with the unabomber manifesto. 90% of the basic info in one place. I think something like that could be implemented here. Another great idea I've seen is to mandate 10 posts before starting a thread. I'm on an Infiniti forum that displays the reminder at the top of the page until you get to 10 posts. What makes the idea great is the reminder banner gives you existing thread suggestions for your first ten posts. We could essentially direct all new members to the manifesto type stickies before they have the chance to ask a question that's already covered in a sticky.

Almost like a technical terms and conditions. You can't post a thread about what your first mods should be until you've seen the sticky on what your first mods should be.

Great minds think a like.

FWIW for the new guy's, check your oil level often until you learn how much oil it uses. Always top off the oil when you check it.

Save your money these things will get expensive fast. I bought my wagon new, I'm well into paying for it for the 3rd time.

I still remember you were one of the first to welcome me, point me to a manual pdf, build thread, and set me on my way :)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I still remember you were one of the first to welcome me, point me to a manual pdf, build thread, and set me on my way :)

And look where that got you now...;)

Unlike some other car forums we're here to help not harass the newbies.

I noticed "Uncle Scotty" :spin: hasn't been on NASIOC the past couple weeks. He was not very pleasant sometimes. I think he got tired of answering the same questions.

:bbq:

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I run into this a lot on another forum I'm pretty active on called helifreak. It's about building and flying model rc helicopters. New guys will ask questions that they may have found the answer to if they searched in the right place. Personally, I enjoy helping people out and making things easier for them rather then telling them to just go search. Sometimes a noob doesn't really know what to look for or how to search for it. If you don't want to answer a question that has been answered before, then dont. No one is forcing you to and I'm sure there are plenty of other guys that will be happy to.

I'm also new to this forum and want to learn everything I can about my car but sometimes I would just rather not ask because I'm afraid I'm gonna get barked at if the info already exists somewhere in the millions of pages. Obviously we should be encouraged to search before we ask, but if something is hard to find, I don't feel like its a big deal to just ask. Some guys, like myself actually enjoy helping others. Now if a new guy comes on and has an attitude, that's a whole different story.

Im not anti- new member, Im all for it. Im just saying if these new owners are taking enough time to come to a specialty forum, then the need to take the time to research and read, as well as, get use to criticism,

These cars are a great market which is why we are all here...

I hear what is being said here. I am a new member and learning all I can about Subaru's. I came from a 95 Eagle Talon TSI and on that particular forum I was once a newbie as well. Years later I was doing the helping instead of the asking.

I couldn't agree more it would be nice for someone to take a little time and search, but sometimes the search, if not worded correctly, returns less than desirable results.

My personal opinion? If someone doesn't look long enough for the answer, and they end up asking, oh well. Hopefully that person will pave the favor forward for the next newbie that ask's a already answered question....We are all here for the love of it, not because we have to be...If someone doesn't want to help, than whats the point of being here?

Im not anti- new member, Im all for it. Im just saying if these new owners are taking enough time to come to a specialty forum, then the need to take the time to research and read, as well as, get use to criticism,

These cars are a great market which is why we are all here...

In an ideal situation that's great advice but most people find this site as a reaction to something that happened to their car. Enjoy the new members while you can. No one's modding new legacy's and the 4th gens are getting older by the day.

In an ideal situation that's great advice but most people find this site as a reaction to something that happened to their car. Enjoy the new members while you can. No one's modding new legacy's and the 4th gens are getting older by the day.

Very true. I found this site after I blew my first block. But you can see it slowing down, just look at the for sale thread. Dosnt update too much lately.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Personally, I believe the problem isn't new member vs. old member. It is more a problem of personality and a lack of desire to learn. Many people are lazy and just want the answers spoon fed to them rather than having to work for it.

As far as I'm concerned, these cars aren't rocket science. A bit of common sense, mechanical aptitude, critical thinking, and willingness to actually look at the car will take you a long way in diagnosing problems and figuring out how to modify them. They respond to the same types of mods as every other engine and car I've worked on.

I'm a new owner but I've been a member for 4 years longer than you! :p

I search for the majority of things, but as with owning any car (my last car I had since 02 until June of this year) things change, new parts come out, new methods are learned, etc. Even if I search, sometimes the "best parts" in 2010 are completely different then now. Say if I was looking for a good intake, it would be nice to know Grimmspeed is a better option now over K&N, even though the older posts may say "K&N is the best!". When I first started modding my old car, the only header out for it was $600. When I replaced mine before I sold it it cost me $80. Crazy how things change.

Personally, I believe the problem isn't new member vs. old member. It is more a problem of personality and a lack of desire to learn. Many people are lazy and just want the answers spoon fed to them rather than having to work for it.

As far as I'm concerned, these cars aren't rocket science. A bit of common sense, mechanical aptitude, critical thinking, and willingness to actually look at the car will take you a long way in diagnosing problems and figuring out how to modify them. They respond to the same types of mods as every other engine and car I've worked on.

I would have to disagree, these motors are not the typical inline 4's, they are more complicated. Any one being new to boxer turbo engines is a whole different world. I have worked on a ton of NA motors before coming to a turbo Subaru, these cars are a different breed. It took me several years to finally understand how these motors work.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I would have to disagree, these motors are not the typical inline 4's, they are more complicated. Any one being new to boxer turbo engines is a whole different world. I have worked on a ton of NA motors before coming to a turbo Subaru, these cars are a different breed. It took me several years to finally understand how these motors work.

I'm curious, what do you feel is so different about them? Regardless of whether an engine is flat, inline, or even round they operate on the same four stroke, spark ignition principle. Turbo vs. non-turbo really makes no difference either. I dunno, maybe I've been around engines too long. They're all the same in my book.

I will say this though. Coming from an engineering background the Subaru engines were designed stupidly. But that doesn't make them function any different than any other engine. :)

Searching using the forum search function is where things go wrong. You are better off using google to lead you back here and dodge the time between searches block same time.

Mondtster, blowing up a turbo on any other car is less of an issue. If the turbo on my DD blew up, just swap it out and change the oil with a flush for good measures. Same logic here will have you posting a build thread shortly after asking should I cancel my engagement and if I were to hypothetically sell my kids, what paperwork and value should I asses them at?

Everyone at one time or another was the newbie. I've found this site to be the best site for our cars and that's why I joined. I spent hours on Google looking up everything I could- I figured in today's technology driven world there's bound to be someone else who's experienced my same issues or questions. My wife's first Subaru was a 2000 lgt wagon, she loved that car! I found the best info here on exactly how to change the timing belt and all the other fun goodies that accompanies that task. With no air tools I had the entire job finished in less than a day. We had ideas and plans to customize it as my wife thinks she's Ken Block while driving our roads where we live. Unfortunately some deer decided to not use the pathway built for them to pass under our major highway and found themselves in the same lane as my wife at 70mph. Deer died, car totaled, wife and young daughter safe....airbags did not deploy! 6 months later I found her new car- 06 Legacy 2.5i wagon with over 200k on the odometer. Again with the help of this site I've gained more knowledge and insight of these cars. My beloved 97 Toy 4Runner with over 300k and 2 engines finally died. And brought me to my new car...05 LGT wagon with 173k on it. Again I find myself here because Google hasn't given me resolution after hours of research into a problem I am experiencing. I appreciate the time and advice that is shared as we all have our own unique ideas and opinions and are brought together by an experience. Owning one of these bad ass cars!

So... Ill edit and say, perhaps not all new members are bad guys, but some new purchasers or new drivers to the LGT platfrom who want their mommy to hand them everything, those members i cant stand. We have some of the most usefull stickies of any forum Ive ever been on, I go back to them for reference on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that no new members means forum will die very quickly, it's actually interesting how this happens. Senior members don't post new threads much at all, since they either know the information or just know how to search. Because there are less new threads, there is less foot traffic in general and less interesting threads, which leads to less foot traffic from all members.

You will always loose some senior members that get tired of the same questions, let them go and move on. This is no where near as dangerous as the scenario mentioned above.

And look where that got you now...;)

Unlike some other car forums we're here to help not harass the newbies.

I noticed "Uncle Scotty" :spin: hasn't been on NASIOC the past couple weeks. He was not very pleasant sometimes. I think he got tired of answering the same questions.

:bbq:

Good, the forum is a better place without him, he got to the point where he thinks he's smarter everyone else (especially newer members).

When I was looking for a way to bypass the fuel filter, I had an altercation with him about fuel filters. He thought that 05+ LGT and 08+ WRX could easily bypass the fuel filter as easily as 06's, he became very childish when I proved him wrong.

I like dealing with senior members on here a lot more, they are willing to accept that they might have been wrong. :)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

the cheaper a car like the LGT gets, the more it will attract folk who the OP is referring to. its just the way it is. Been happening for w while with the wrx crowd. you gonna get some spillage for the turbozomg kids who dont know what they are getting in to.

Well, this issue isn't just with the LGT crowd. I'm in a group on facebook and I've had some issues of kind of being a dick with stupid people. They buy these new STi and have no clue what's going on which is fine. However they become fan boys but without the fan and are just boys with a fast car. One guy, honestly, video'd his dash cluster with the check engine and flashing cruise and asked, "what's wrong, help". I was the 3rd to respond and the 1st to offer honest advice. I told him to go to any autoparts store, run the code, go to NASIOC and register and look the code up.

The dude says, if the code doesn't go away he'll just put the exhaust on. He also failed to mention that he installed an intake. By this time I was fed up and asked if he was trolling.

I was a noobie, I was a ricer, but I always used the forum and after the first, "did you search it?' That was it, I realized I am not the first person to have this issue and I can probably find the answer.

Archived