LegacyGT.com

Passenger window won't roll down?

At least not from the drivers side controls. All the other windows are able to be controlled from the drivers side. Just not the front passenger.

Cycled window lock several times.. no change.

I guess I'll bring it up when I get my first "free" oil change. Anyone else run across this issue?

it could be that the window lost its auto function. ive seen this happen on other cars when the battery dies or the window freezes and is stuck. usually the window switch on that door would be blinking. just go and hold it down on the passenger side for 10 seconds and then hold it up for 10 seconds. it only happens on windows with the auto feature. if that doesnt work see what the dealer says.

At least not from the drivers side controls. All the other windows are able to be controlled from the drivers side. Just not the front passenger.

Cycled window lock several times.. no change.

I guess I'll bring it up when I get my first "free" oil change. Anyone else run across this issue?

Try turning the window lock on and off. That did it for me.

If the new people would just do a forum search it amazing what information is out there.

Just needs to be reset.

I did a search----- " passenger window"

Result:See the 2015 Legacy/Outback Owner's Manual, page 2-35.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

This happened to me today actually. It's not the auto function, the window does not operate at all. Ironically this happened at the dealership when it was in for service and noticed it on my way home. Works from passenger side.

If you read what he wrote, he mentioned nothing about the auto feature. It's amazing what information is out there when you read what is typed.

My battery was disconnected as they were fixing something w my seat but I'm bringing it back next week so I don't have a solution

We continue to receive warranty claims and Quality Monitoring Reports for failed front door power

window switches which operate normally when tested after part collection. Whenever receiving a

customer concern regarding either front door power window switch operation and / or operation of

the Auto Up / Down feature, always perform the initialization (or “reset”) procedure outlined below

BEFORE replacing either of the switches.

REMINDER: the Auto Up / Down feature is disabled and must be reset after battery disconnect

(although the window switches will still operate normally, the “auto up/down” feature will not function)

Follow the steps shown below to complete the initialization procedure.

IMPORTANT: It will be necessary to repeat the same initialization procedure on the passenger door

power window switch (if equipped with the Auto Up / Down feature).

NOTE: There have also been isolated cases reported where the passenger front window was

inoperable from the driver’s door power window master switch. Performing the initialization procedure

on the passenger side window remedied the condition.

STEP 1 - Close the driver’s door.

STEP 2 - Switch the ignition to the “ON” position.

STEP 3 - LIGHTLY press down on the driver’s window switch to lower the driver’s

window halfway.

STEP 4 - Pull UP on the driver’s window switch to raise the window and close it

completely. Continue pulling the switch up for 1 second after the window

is completely closed.

STEP 5 - Verify proper function. If the feature does not resume normal operation,

it is likely the switch was held up for longer than the 1 second as

described in Step 4. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 again. If normal operation is

still not restored, proceed with the diagnostic steps outlined in the

applicable Service Manual.

From http://m.vitalysmobileautodiagnostics.com/Subaru/2014.12DecTechTIPS.pdf

• 3 years later...

From passenger door held window down for 10 seconds, then window up for 10 seconds and the driver door switch is working now. Thanks for the help! Like many others my issues started after battery was unhooked.

[2016 Legacy Premium]

it could be that the window lost its auto function. ive seen this happen on other cars when the battery dies or the window freezes and is stuck. usually the window switch on that door would be blinking. just go and hold it down on the passenger side for 10 seconds and then hold it up for 10 seconds. it only happens on windows with the auto feature. if that doesnt work see what the dealer says.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about "STEP 4 - Pull UP on the driver’s window switch to raise the window and close it

completely. Continue pulling the switch up for 1 second after the window

is completely closed."

When our 2016 Legacy has this problem, we can't "close it completely;" before the window gets all the way into the top track it starts going back down again. I got the impression other people were having the same experience. Given this situation, how do you do the reinitialize process?

Are you holding the switch up as the window goes up?

Are you using the proper switch?

• Driver's side window = driver's side switch
  • Passenger's side window = passenger's side switch

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Well, of course it's operating just fine now.

But I was not aware (before reading all this) that there were different ways of using the switches. In our older Hondas, it's pure simplicity: Pull the switch up and the glass goes up; push the switch down and the glass goes down. Nothing to it. I'll be more aware now and we'll see if the problem comes back.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually, I posted in the wrong thread; it was supposed to be the one about the passenger window bouncing when you try to close it. And, in fact, it's still doing it.

Regarding Step 4 in the reset procedure, it doesn't specify whether to hold the switch in the "first stage" or the second. But I've tried it both ways and it bounces regardless. In order to get it to close all the way, we have to randomly try moving the window up and down until it closes all the way.

This is an extremely sensitive procedure: Hold it for one second, and no more??? I'm afraid it's time for a service call.

This is an extremely sensitive procedure ...

You're overthinking this.

I'm afraid it's time for a service call.

Probably a good idea.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

When our 2016 Legacy has this problem, we can't "close it completely;" before the window gets all the way into the top track it starts going back down again. I got the impression other people were having the same experience. Given this situation, how do you do the reinitialize process?

What you see is the anti-pinch function that shall prevent fingers from being cut and small kids and pets getting decapitated.

Check that the guide rails for the window are free of foreign objects and that nothing is bent or out of shape.

453747.png

You're overthinking this.

Welllll, the instructions say to continue to pull up on the switch for one second after the window completely closes, but if you hold it for longer than one second after the window completely closes, then it might not work.

To have to hold it for one second, no more, no less... No, I don't think I'm overthinking; that's a sensitive procedure.

Or is it not as time-sensitive as the instructions indicate?

What you see is the anti-pinch function that shall prevent fingers from being cut and small kids and pets getting decapitated.

Check that the guide rails for the window are free of foreign objects and that nothing is bent or out of shape.

They seem to be clear. It actually doesn't happen very often but when it does getting it to stop seems to be a result of just random playing with it.

• 1 month later...

Related experiences: when I took my 2015 (bought 2014) in for its three-year check, one of my issues was the passenger-side window "bounce." The problem was that the upper channel was blocked or crimped or bent, causing the finger-safety to be activated. The Subie store replaced the channel (took a second visit because none in stock) and it's been fine ever since.

More recently I had the check engine light warning. Wisdom on the internet said to disconnect the battery. I did so. From there on, I could not activate the pax-side window from the driver seat. My local mechanic said it was a standard fix, something to do with turning the key to Aux, leaning over, and activating the switch on the pax side. In any event, he fixed it, no charge.

From there on, I could not activate the pax-side window from the driver seat. My local mechanic said it was a standard fix ...

2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 2-36.

spacer.png

Archived