LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made a believer out of me. The 2.4 was outstanding.

I’m making financial moves now to place an order in a few months.

That's why I'm afraid of going to test drive one, I would wanna leave with it right of way.

Now why is memory position seats/mirrors not standard on this thing by now? I really don't want leather seats just to have memory positions.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Why doesn't the whole cabin experience change tailored to the fob/person driving would be a better question. Automatic seating/mirror/infotainment system changes when the key is detected.

That would be cool.

Woah woah woah, we are talking about Subaru here :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

Why doesn't the whole cabin experience change tailored to the fob/person driving would be a better question. Automatic seating/mirror/infotainment system changes when the key is detected.

That would be cool.

Because it is a Subaru and not an Audi! :spin:

---

That would be cool.

That's how my Flex works, the Key fobs are synced with the memories.

So when I open it with my Fob, everything is already adjusted by the time I get in.

That's how my Flex works, the Key fobs are synced with the memories.

So when I open it with my Fob, everything is already adjusted by the time I get in.

That's really nice actually. Luckily my wife is not that much shorter then me, but a couple of my friends have about a foot difference which means lots of scrunching to get in. They tend to like manual seats for that reason (faster to move it back).

22 Ascent STOCK

That's really nice actually. Luckily my wife is not that much shorter then me, but a couple of my friends have about a foot difference which means lots of scrunching to get in. They tend to like manual seats for that reason (faster to move it back).

The adjustable pedals are another nice thing Ford has. I wish more manufacturers would. Having a short wife I see a major difference in how close she is to the airbag in the Legacy vs. the Flex.

That's why I'm afraid of going to test drive one, I would wanna leave with it right of way.

Now why is memory position seats/mirrors not standard on this thing by now? I really don't want leather seats just to have memory positions.

Don’t know. I am interested in a Touring. The PB Start models can remote start through Starlink without the second Fob!!! :)

Also wanted Touring for the Ventilated seats and front camera.

I’d suggest waiting for next years models, they will work out all the quirks and they will make the car even better.

When it’s time to upgrade to the next Legacy I’d want the next version of eyesight, currently being tested only in Japan on the newer levorg and foresters I believe.

I believe the new eyesight will have semi-autonomous driving capability.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to go for one of the Ascents by the end of the year. I’m leaning towards a Touring right now. I really like what they’ve done here.

While I agree there could be some kinks along the way I will plan to get an extended warranty. Peace of mind.

Finished the Ascent puzzle. I am planning to give it to my Dealership to show.

b795c95d384179da01898e0c05ddb75e.jpga91480c5ebdceb96b1917c66121aef1b.jpge78801831f8bd215a5b2e26515fe6041.jpgb55d9d046f5fa2cc47417944ff731862.jpgd95db60a8c480b1330eb247c46025ed2.jpgb2b50e76d669db11d8ec26e63381f8c0.jpg

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

My local dealer had an Ascent on the lot long enough for me to actually see one in person! It was sold already, but they let me sit in it still. It was a $40k premium with moon roof and ugly tan seats.

Here are some of my observations:

Suspension:

- Front Suspension is a typical Subaru strut setup but the control arms are not the crappy BL/BM tennis ball style though! They are using 2015+ Outback style control arms.

- Rear suspension looked very similar to BM's, probably nothing new

Engine Bay:

- Very cramped, looks worse then my 2005 LGT and worse then 2015 WRX, which is a real shame because I've grown to love the amount of space the 2012 2.5i has.

- Spark plug removal on driver side requires motor mount removal and jacking of the engine to reach them (according to the sales person)

- CVT looks huge, not much room between the trans and the firewall

- Plastic valve covers, not sure I'm a fan.

Interior:

- This one had tan cloth seats, I didn't like the look or feel of them in tan to be honest. To the point where I think I personally would go with the limited leather seats now.

- 3rd row was pretty roomy for a 3rd row, but there is no way it could fit 3 guys or 3 car seats.

- Trunk space is pretty low with 3rd row up, looked about the same as a typical 5 seater SUV (like CX5), but much shallower then even my old 04 FXT.

I've had my eyes on the Premium model, but after seeing the seats, I think I would go for the limited, especially since memory adjustable seats are only available in limited+. But I don't like limited due to bigger wheels, and more complicated doodads that will break later like headlights (turning/auto-leveling)

22 Ascent STOCK

Drove a Limited with 8-passenger configuration. Liked it a lot over the Premium 8-pgr that we had previously driven. Wife really liked the limited. It was Tungsten Metallic with the Warm Ivory leather interior. Very nicely executed.

Pushing on the throttle while braking, de-powers the engine CR. Not sure if I mentioned that already, but there may be an override. Just didn't dig that deep into it.

We then went and started and sat in a Touring that was ready for delivery to the customer. Wife really liked the JB leather. Couldn't drive it, obviously, but the cooled seats were really nice and though it's one of those things that CR sees as breaking later (which I personally agree with), here in the South, or in hot drive climates, would be a bonus and worth the step-up with everything else you get. It was Crystal Black Silica, and while it looked good, I could not imagine that color here in the South. Will likely be the Crystal White Pearl, or the Abyss Blue Pearl if we go the Touring route.

The sales rep kept talking about the "two" AC compressors, one for the front and one for the rear. I can believe a separate HVAC blower unit, with a separate heater core and a separate AC evaporator unit at the rear, but an electric AC compressor at the rear would be noisy and a high-ampere draw on the electrical system. Has anyone confirmed whether there's two compressors? Also, didn't discover the air filter for the rear HVAC, but I do hope there is one and it's easily serviceable.

One difference between the 8-pgr and the Touring 7-pgr seating is noticeable. The second row seat back in the 8-pgr lies down flat, while the 7-pgr captain's seat backs seating remain slightly angled 3/4"-1" upward. The difference is that the bolsters on the captains seats provide a higher relief to the seat bottom than the bench seat does. Under load, it would likely compress-down, but sliding something in "flat" means you're going to encounter resistance with the captain seat backs.

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

..but the cooled seats were really nice and though it's one of those things that CR sees as breaking later (which I personally agree with), here in the South, or in hot drive climates, would be a bonus and worth the step-up with everything else you get....

Actually I would really like cooled seats, while I'm not in the deep south I am a cold blooded soviet in Virginia, so give me all the AC you got. As for complexity, depends on how they implement it. If it's coolant lines in the seat, then yes that would be very complicated, but if it's just taking existing vent air and routing it through the seat,then that's pretty simple.

The sales rep kept talking about the "two" AC compressors, one for the front and one for the rear. I can believe a separate HVAC blower unit, with a separate heater core and a separate AC evaporator unit at the rear, but an electric AC compressor at the rear would be noisy and a high-ampere draw on the electrical system. Has anyone confirmed whether there's two compressors? Also, didn't discover the air filter for the rear HVAC, but I do hope there is one and it's easily serviceable.

Now your asking the right questions, I'm curious about this too now.

One difference between the 8-pgr and the Touring 7-pgr seating is noticeable. The second row seat back in the 8-pgr lies down flat, while the 7-pgr captain's seat backs seating remain slightly angled 3/4"-1" upward. The difference is that the bolsters on the captains seats provide a higher relief to the seat bottom than the bench seat does. Under load, it would likely compress-down, but sliding something in "flat" means you're going to encounter resistance with the captain seat backs.

I really like the comfort of captains chairs and easier rear accessibility, But I since the 3rd row middle seat is so tiny (felt smaller then the 2004 FXT rear seat). I think we would go with the 8 seat version. Plus seats laying flat is pretty important since I do carry a lot of stuff and sleep in the car sometimes when camping.

22 Ascent STOCK

Tested a Mazda 6 Signature with AC cooled seats. The manual states if using the seat cooling system for a prolonged time never to leave it in the high setting.

Likely (possibly? )because they don't want any liability for frozen boys.

We have memory seats on our B9 Tribeca and honestly I recall using that feature may be twice in 11 years of ownership. I found that I still had to adjust the seat/back somewhat from previous setting, so the point of having it just went out of window.

As for seats, having perforated leather is a must. We had Toyota Sienna Limited XLT (or whatever the top trim is called), and while the AC was strong enough to create icicles on my nose, the leather seats were not perforated, hence your bottom and back would still be getting wet.

Same story with older son's 05 Outback - while it is Limited and is essentially same interior as my Limited LGT, LGT has perforated leather seats while his Limited Outback has plain leather. Similar feeling about back and bottom, for some reason less so than Sienna but still not same worry free as LGT's perforated leather seats.

Edited by SubOperator

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Oh forgot to mention that the hood didn't have hood struts! Come on Subaru, I thought you graduated from the annoying sticks (since my 2012 has hood struts!)

As for leather, I agree perforated is a must for sweat prevention, but you loose all the benefits of leather from cleaning perspective. That's probably why the Outback and Sienna have solid leather; they are more kid/outdoor proof since they are more spill proof.

22 Ascent STOCK

At the car show, the rep said that the reason they didn't use struts is the combination of the steel hood and the extra weight of the IC piping made adding reasonably-sized struts untenable.