LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

It was a rental. I didn't pay too much attention until I noticed it did it at all, then I figured out how to turn it off for comparison sake. Overall, the system was pretty slick, and I liked it. The only thing that wasn't good was if you pulled up somewhere and parked for a while, the heat would eventually get cold. I don't remember if I ever had the same thing at a time of year when I was using the AC.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmh. That's a good point. If you are stuck in traffic for like 5mn straight with the engine off, the compressor is no longer running. Consequently, you'll get hot air...

Now I need to check how they take care of this issue in electric cars..

Also, just read this. Pretty interesting.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Park in reverse. Problem solved.
You might want to suggest it to the OP. Thank goodness no Stop-n-go or cylinder deactivation or variable compression on the latest Subarus. All these techs are just overcomplicating and asking for trouble 5, 10, 15 years down the line.

mmh. That's a good point. If you are stuck in traffic for like 5mn straight with the engine off, the compressor is no longer running. Consequently, you'll get hot air...

Electric cars used an electric compressor powered off the high voltage battery. Full ac full time!

You might want to suggest it to the OP. Thank goodness no Stop-n-go or cylinder deactivation or variable compression on the latest Subarus. All these techs are just overcomplicating and asking for trouble 5, 10, 15 years down the line.

Can’t agree enough about this. Honda has had their hands full for a few years now because of this

Also, just read this. Pretty interesting.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

In a rental Pacifica I had a few months ago the car would not auto start stop unless the cabin was at a set temperature, let’s say 70 degrees. If it went to around 72 while auto stop, it would turn back over and cool.

You used BtSsm to do that? Would love to see some screenshots of your findings. How often was it detecting knock, and in what kind of load range was it happening? Does this engine have intake/exhaust vvts? Did you pay attention to target boost too? Sorry lots of questions :spin:

Let me bump this. Come on man! :hide::spin:

Let me bump this. Come on man! :hide::spin:
Hahaha, had that and similar posts on selective ignore. Nothing personal xt2005bonbon.

Yes, BtSsm + Tactrix OPv2. Basic profile doesnt expose Targest Boost or FFB

so no luck with AF Error or Boost error... and I have a feeling no one will ever define or find SSM params for those on these newer Subarus... all in E-OBDII Mode 0x22 and 0x23 la la land. COBB has the low down on that and isnt talking (likely paid a hefty amount to get the Manufacturer specific E-OBDII PID defs or same amount in man-hours by now COBB staff, ex-Engenuity/RR gurus).

Can confirm both intake and exhaust L/R VVTs, AF Learn/Correct 1 and 3, Boost, MAFv and g/sec as well as Load and EGR Steps, IAM, FKC, TPS, ECU PIDs work fine. Same with CVTF from TCU.

FKC noise around the usual 0.8-1.2 g/rev and out of/at low boost, but continued to build and stuck around even in lower 'gears' at >1.5g/rev and >5psi.

Just a fairly typical stock FAxxDIT t00n. Overly aggressive timing in the cruise range of the timing surfaces doesnt like E10 AKI87/89 one bit.

And by the look of things, AKI91 or 93 will not be of much help without sone t00n TLC.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone on here gotten their Ascent yet? I'm curious about the rear world MPG at more realistic 75MPH that most travel at?

I had to spend about 40 hours driving my Outback this past week. With two car seats, passenger seat no longer has room to recline or move back enough to be comfortable, middle seat in the back is unusable too. With the pains from the trip still fresh, I've started REALLY wanting a 7 seater. I've been doing some heavy research on the Japanese 3 row SUV's and it looks like the Ascent is just about the biggest of the bunch, making me want one more.

I can't afford to buy it brand new, but waiting a year or leasing might work.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

You should check out the Ascent forum. Some people have even put their car on a dyno already!

Found this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ4crGgrVsI]2019 Subaru Ascent Debut baseline on Mustang Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

213.6 WHP @ 5232 rpm

258.8 WTQ @ 2670 rpm

Adding 25% drivetrain loss:

267 BHP

323.5 BTQ

In another video it did 218.9 WHP and 260 WTQ: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CecZONnFaKs]2019 Subaru Ascent baseline debut on mustang dyno - YouTube[/ame]

Not bad at all, I bet that much torque feels awesome.

Edited by covertrussian

22 Ascent STOCK

What I have seen for gas mileage hasn't been too impressive, and honestly the rear seat room is good for an SUV but if you have a rear facing car seat don't expect much improvement over the Outback if any. The first and second rows are smaller than our Odyssey for sure and maybe right on par with my Legacy, so also your Outback, but with a higher seating position, the way back was way smaller than the Odyssey and slightly larger than the Tribeca but with a much better seating position. Otherwise, the cabin is nice steering is light at low speed and pleasant, power is really good, from a roll I think it would take a 3.6 Legacy/Outback easily. We were really pleased with everything but the passenger room given our son is still rear facing. We are also holding out for the next year or later until we get our son turned around to maximize the space. Everything else though was great, we are sold on it.

Right now, my two kids are no longer rear facing. So the (3rd gen) outback is still meeting our needs just fine. But yeah, when you have a kid or two rear facing, it is no fun. However, if we have a 3rd kid, then we'd have to change vehicle. Hopefully, by that time, we'll find a descent price used Ascent. But for now, I'll continue enjoying my good ol' OBXT until she dies :spin:

Found this:

213.6 WHP @ 5232 rpm

258.8 WTQ @ 2670 rpm

Adding 25% drivetrain loss:

267 BHP

323.5 BTQ

In another video it did 218.9 WHP and 260 WTQ:

Not bad at all, I bet that much torque feels awesome.

^Just a matter of time until she gets a tune!

Also already found lift kits for it!

IMG_2628_1024x1024.jpg?v=1530921170

Edited by xt2005bonbon

What I have seen for gas mileage hasn't been too impressive, and honestly the rear seat room is good for an SUV but if you have a rear facing car seat don't expect much improvement over the Outback if any. The first and second rows are smaller than our Odyssey for sure and maybe right on par with my Legacy, so also your Outback, but with a higher seating position, the way back was way smaller than the Odyssey and slightly larger than the Tribeca but with a much better seating position. Otherwise, the cabin is nice steering is light at low speed and pleasant, power is really good, from a roll I think it would take a 3.6 Legacy/Outback easily. We were really pleased with everything but the passenger room given our son is still rear facing. We are also holding out for the next year or later until we get our son turned around to maximize the space. Everything else though was great, we are sold on it.

I have one rear facing one and a convertible, we had to put the convertible behind the passenger seat because it allowed it to recline a little more. Seeing that Ascent's second row can move back and forth, I would think it would allow for more space then the OB with the bench/captains chair moved all the way back.

Alternatively, could always place one car seat on the 3rd row, allowing the passenger seat to recline much more.

Drivetrain loss for HTCVT is actually closer to ~29-31%.

260ftlbf at the wheels is barely ok with this curb weight, try 320-340ftlbf on a Stage 2 CVT WRX/Levorg on pump E10 AKI93.

I thought CVT was more efficient drivetrain loss wise then typical slushboxes

Using 30% loss then: 213whp = 277 BHP and 336 BTQ, which makes it be a good bit higher then 260bhp/277btq that it's rated at.

Edited by covertrussian

22 Ascent STOCK

I have one rear racing and one convertible, we had to put the convertible behind the passenger seat because it allowed it to recline a little more. Seeing that Ascent's second row can move back and forth, I would think it would allow for more space then the OB with the bench/captains chair moved all the way back.

Alternatively, could always place one car seat on the 3rd row, allowing the passenger seat to recline much more.

This is why I bought a minivan. I test drove all the 7 passenger suvs and they felt huge outside and small inside. Haven't been inside the Ascent yet, but so far no regrets.

I thought CVT was more efficient drivetrain loss wise then typical slushboxes. Using 30% loss then: 213whp = 277 BHP and 336 BTQ, which makes it be a good bit higher then 260bhp/277btq that it's rated at.
Sadly no, both vanilla Subaru CVTs and HTCVTs suffer from slightly higher ~ drivetrain loss vs 4EAT/5EAT slushboxes. CVTs are also mated to a TC (smaller than regular AT) so they are cog-slushboxes if you will lol.

A lot depends on how that Mystang dyno was configured, what software its running, what 'gear' was used in S mode for the run, etc. I guess the only somewhat reliable benchmark would be to learn what a bone stock STI or EVO puts down on the same rollers with the same settings in a similar gear ratio gear.

Otherwise, without any context and especially with the CVT, these Ascent #s are rather meaningless. The torque alone is likely skewed... dyno software across the spectrum still can't properly calc wtq for CVT, AT cars.

Sadly no, both vanilla Subaru CVTs and HTCVTs suffer from slightly higher ~ drivetrain loss vs 4EAT/5EAT slushboxes. CVTs are also mated to a TC (smaller than regular AT) so they are cog-slushboxes if you will lol.

Gotcha, I guess all the fuel economy savings are coming strictly from lower RPM reving then. This really shows on the 2018 impreza, the CVT sedan is rated at 38mpg and 5 speed is at 31mpg (WTF Subaru for still using 5MT!)

A lot depends on how that Mystang dyno was configured, what software its running, what 'gear' was used in S mode for the run, etc. I guess the only somewhat reliable benchmark would be to learn what a bone stock STI or EVO puts down on the same rollers with the same settings in a similar gear ratio gear.

Otherwise, without any context and especially with the CVT, these Ascent #s are rather meaningless. The torque alone is likely skewed... dyno software across the spectrum still can't properly calc wtq for CVT, AT cars.

In the thread the guy said in "auto" mode numbers were all over the place. They did these pulls in manual mode, I believe they said 4th gear.

Also on a real dyno the numbers are still meaningful, on the other hand with virtual dyno they would be useless since gear ratios need to be perfect.

22 Ascent STOCK

Yup, in 2018/2020 (and even back in 2014/15) MTs made no sense on a modern fairly heavy Subaru equipped with S-AWD and multiple nanny systems.

The HTCVTs (TR580s, TR690s) do a great job and even the vanilla CVTs are a far better paring for these boxer S-AWD combos.

This is why most of the fleet sold on the domestic market is CVT. USDM Subarus are slowly heading that way as well.

This should be the way AT/CVT torque is derived (VD and real dynos):

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/experiment-and-thoughts-alternate-5eat-dyno-test-method-251156.html?t=251156

And whoever operated that Mustang dyno should've used 5th 'gear' for an Ascent.

4th is fine but will inflate the number a bit (I bet they didn't account for below)

Ascent HT-CVT 8 manual model setting.

Manual mode 1st 3.227, 2nd 2.100, 3rd 1.535, 4th 1.191, 5th 0.933, 6th 0.759, 7th 0.602, 8th 0.467. final drive 4.444

WRX/Levorg HT-CVT modes/ratios:

I, S modes 1st 3.505, 2nd 2.238, 3rd 1,641, 4th 1.194, 5th 0.880, 6th 0.611. Final drive 3.90

S# mode 1st 3.505, 2nd 2.405, 3rd 1.855, 4th 1.544, 5th 1.258, 6th 1.032, 7th 0.856, 8th 0.716. Final drive 3.90

Edited by Perscitus

Here's the post.

The suv was put in manual cvt gear mode on 4th gear pull if you were wondering.Then starting the dynamometer after rolling into 4th at the start of the rpm to get into 4th gear.He tried first without any manual mode and it wasn't a consistent pull..

Also JMLegacy has VD smoothing set to 4, which covers up a lot of things. I personally use 1-2 tops now days. Also with my turbo setup, my power curve is very linear (NA like too)

22 Ascent STOCK