LegacyGT.com

Will Koni Sport Yellows fit the 6th Gen?

Hey Joe,

It's been awhile! Thank you for testing out the 6th gen struts. Definitely interested in this. Do you know if this would work with the 17 outback struts? If I remember correctly they're the same as the legacy, except for the perch is welded a bit higher.

Also the Subaru part site shows the rear shocks are different part numbers between the OB and Legacy.

I'm looking into purchasing the new Rs-r springs that came out for the OB and the Konis would be perfect for them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hey Bud!

Sorry to say but Konis will not work with Outback struts. They are about 2" longer than the Legacy struts. The spring perch is in the entirely wrong place.

Only way you could use Konis on the Outback is to lower it 2 - 3" using Legacy struts and springs and top hat spacers.

• 4 weeks later...

GTEASER is finishing up the build. Should have an update next week.

Setup will be:

Car: 2016 Legacy Limited 2.5i

Note: Limited trim comes with stablex suspension. We opted for testing this project using regular premium struts w/o stablex to up the probability of success. We cannot attest to fitment with stablex at this time.

Front suspension: Premium OEM struts paired with Koni 8610-1447S shocks (legacy spec).

https://www.amazon.com/Koni-8610-1447Sport-Subaru-Legacy/dp/B00361V446

Rear suspension: Limited OEM struts with Koni 8010-1055S shocks (wrx spec). Fitment is a bolt-in with a minor modification - making the shock rod hole in the rear tophats 1mm larger with a 31/64" drill bit. That only takes 2 minutes, tops

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00930TH84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RSPnAbXRPE7SQ

Springs: Eibach Pro Kit springs for 5th gen. 1 inch drop all around. 7722.140 is the p/n. https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Eibach&model=Pro-Kit+Spring+Set&group=Pro-Kit+Spring+Set&partNum=7722.140&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=2.5GT+Limited

My cost so far:

Struts: $127 x 2

Shocks: $149 x 2 (rear) $155 x 2 (front)

Springs: $247

Edited by Da Roo
Concise

• 2 months later...
So is this project dead or was it confirmed to work? Also an amateur question- would it be bad or useful to swap just the rears with those konis or something similar since they just bolt on? I would like to maximize my cars handling but don’t know much about suspension mods.

This project is very much alive and waiting to be installed. I have a living room full of mods waiting to go on. Unfortunately my work schedule makes it impossible at the moment. Hopefully soon.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we have it. The first 6th gen with fully adjustable koni yellows. I paired these with eibach springs and measurements are pretty on point with a 1" drop.

I set the konis at one full turn above the softest setting and will run it that way for this week until I consider adjusting again. Based on the feel so far I will likely adjust another full turn next week to be at 2 full turns. I believe the konis can handle 3 full turns to the stiffest setting.

Install comments: Hit a hurdle with compressing the front springs (see comments on pics) but other than that the install was a walk in the park. Shoutout to GTEASER for making this a possibility.

Initial reactions: Wow!! I feel totally in control of the car and it reacts how I want. Are you lusting for that giddy feeling you had each morning walking out to your car? Then look no further friends, this is your next mod. I have only driven 50 miles since installing. I will add an update after this week.

Note - The car has not yet had an alignment. I will get one soon but the car feels solid right now. No hard pulling in any direction.

4f5c64cefd40dfb3575ac742193a567c.jpg7dc378d7197250e7c53606caab1f262d.jpgd8dd54796022dda8211bb75158a782dd.jpg4db881e2894eef4e721026bddde19f9b.jpg8f84d9c1cb7305336408a7f35f404a71.jpg

I love this fitment.

285c74c58366981db6abd23116b8b9a4.jpg

Rear shot

385758b99111fdf4350c5eff75555ea0.jpg

Backside undershot. I spy something

yellow

8e63b423322ff9ae43d3c0a8bf32656f.jpg

Edited by Da Roo

More picsd4b553125b4cb76a8be84364e7a0fc84.jpgb23268c8a10e8b4c49c16f22e9e9ff5c.jpg13a3ccc025df2637aeaf03e8498ff807.jpgfd750a5e2687f3e2d7a19f05e565c4f1.jpg422efcc8712ca3198ea73a2d7b8b0765.jpg

Fronts fully assembled and ready to bolt in. These eibach springs were impossible for us to compress enough to get the tophat bolted in. We were using a rental macpherson from auotzone. Took it to a buddy and they assembled it for us. He said they had to max out their machine. Damn progressive springs [emoji43]

2bd7b99ece15167a8c1d11149b4e69fa.jpg

Rear

abf18c357592118fe514b1047f262cd8.jpg

Made ya look.

a7ba6b91a2ced2b08ec7bf07c319e6c0.jpg

Edited by Da Roo

Just noticed you're in Illinois too, what part? I have Koni's and Eibachs on my 5th gen, we should do a side-by-side if you're close.
Im in the NW burbs - Arlington Heights. Near Palatine.

I would not recommend 2 full turns on the Konis with Eibach springs. Konis are 2 full turns from full soft to full hard. I run the 1 turn front and half turn rear with H&R's for street, and add a half turn front and rear for track duty. Be careful not to over dampen.

Someone should start offering these pre-assembled. Either with new struts and spring of choice, and if you send your stock ones back get a core fee back. Or you could send your stock ones to have the inserts done without the expense of new ones.

I would not recommend 2 full turns on the Konis with Eibach springs. Konis are 2 full turns from full soft to full hard. I run the 1 turn front and half turn rear with H&R's for street, and add a half turn front and rear for track duty. Be careful not to over dampen.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind when I adjust again

Da Roo your car looks great! I think if you added STi lips, it would look incredible

What made you choose Eibach vs H&R?

Thank you! I have wanted the front lip from the beginning but my wallet needs a break.

RCE blacks were my first spring choice but their customer service via facebook messenger was awful so I decided to take my business elsewhere.

The Eibachs are great for my daily needs. H&R is too low for me and IL roads are horrible.

Someone should start offering these pre-assembled. Either with new struts and spring of choice, and if you send your stock ones back get a core fee back. Or you could send your stock ones to have the inserts done without the expense of new ones.

Cool idea but I don't know if it would be feasible with all the work from the supplier and shipping/logistics. Also, would not recommend using your stock struts for this if you do not have another car available. GTEASER did all the work for the front struts, so try reaching out to him if you are interested in a build.

I was interested in RCEs also but was told they dont fit our gen
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure all 5th gen spring options are compatible with ours.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure all 5th gen spring options are compatible with ours.

They seem to be. Eibachs and H&R have been confirmed to fit properly with the advertised drop.