LegacyGT.com

2018 Legacy 3.6R - Would you do it again?

My daughter is looking to purchase a 2018 Leagcy 3.6R tomorrow (6/2).

Any concerns or things to look out for when purchasing? The Legacy has around 38K miles, and is a certificate pre-owned, which was traded in on a WRX... :-)

We currently have a 2002 Outback Sedan 3.0, a 2009 LGT, and a 2006 WRX -- this would be the first one that is less than 12 years old...

Edited by journey

Check to make sure the tire tread matches all around. Get the past service records and see if the typical 30k stuff was done, brake fluid, diff oil, air Filters (engine, cabin), fresh oil...then try to get them to perform those as part of the sale.

We had some battery terminal corrosion on both our 3.6Rs around then so check both. Other than that it should be an awesome car with no other issues at that mileage.

I would definitely get it.. I've been involved with Subaru for 20 years and I really believe the 3.6r Engine is the Best Engine available I just hit 155k on my 15' and have had No Major Issues..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Any concerns or things to look out for when purchasing [a 2018 Leagcy 3.6R]?

The 2018 infotainment head units were problematic early on, but updated firmware seems to have resolved most of the issues. As long as the price is right and the car passes an independent mechanical inspection, I'd say go for it. They truly don't make 'em like that any more.

Then again, depending on your daughter's age, driving skill, and judgment, a less-powerful 2.5 Legacy might be a more prudent choice for her.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

... Any concerns or things to look out for when purchasing? ...

The 3.6 mated to the TR690 CVT is the best Subaru combination I have experienced. Smooth, quiet, effortless, with quite good torque & acceleration when I needed it. Has quite good fuel economy on the open road but not so good in stop/start city driving. They have a more linear power delivery than the turbo petrol cars. I would definitely buy one again.

If buying second hand make sure you have a look for any oil leaks at the timing chain cover. This can be checked by removing the plastic engine bay undercover & inspecting with a good torch. If leaking there it can be rather difficult & expensive to have this fixed correctly.

This subaruoutback.org topic covers a few owner’s experiences with this leak.

Edited by XT-sub
Extra info.

Then again, depending on your daughter's age, driving skill, and judgment, a less-powerful 2.5 Legacy might be a more prudent choice for her.

Daughter graduated a few years ago from college - not that being a college graduate makes her a good driver, but she is buying the car with her own funds. ;-)

She has opted for the Legacy over an WRX, which was her first 'love'... ;-) She still remembers going with me to look at WRX's over 10 years ago and seeing the WRB color... She used to have a 2006 Sabaru (normally aspirated) and does want the H6 as she wants more power than her 2005 Sabaru had.

About two years ago, when looking to make a lane change, she rear ended someone when traffic stopped suddenly on the interstate. Thus, she has taken our advice to seek a vehicle with driving assistance / collision avoidance systems.

The 3.6 mated to the TR690 CVT is the best Subaru combination I have experienced. Smooth, quiet, effortless, with quite good torque & acceleration when I needed it. Has quite good fuel economy on the open road but not so good in stop/start city driving. They have a more linear power delivery than the turbo petrol cars. I would definitely buy one again.

We both noted how smooth the drive was -- not quite as smooth as my wife's Murano, whose CVT has over 20 'speeds', but still pretty good especially compared to my LGT.

If buying second hand make sure you have a look for any oil leaks at the timing chain cover. This can be checked by removing the plastic engine bay undercover & inspecting with a good torch. If leaking there it can be rather difficult & expensive to have this fixed correctly.

This subaruoutback.org topic covers a few owner’s experiences with this leak.

Thanks for mentioning this. The Legacy will be a certified pre-owned and comes with the 7 year / 100K miles drive train warranty. I wonder if this type of leak would be covered? To extend the regular 'full' warranty, it would cost $1,800, which I do not think she will do.

Thanks for all the responses. My daughter picked up the 2018 3.6R yesterday. ;-)

It was amazing how empty the sales lot was at the dealership. They had 0 WRX's, and only two STI's -- even one of those was used...

Terry

Check to make sure the tire tread matches all around. Get the past service records and see if the typical 30k stuff was done, brake fluid, diff oil, air Filters (engine, cabin), fresh oil...then try to get them to perform those as part of the sale.

We had some battery terminal corrosion on both our 3.6Rs around then so check both. Other than that it should be an awesome car with no other issues at that mileage.

I have nothing against your suggestion but for myself why is the equal tire tread all around so important in this case?

I wonder if you are referring to alignment issues where edge or the tires are worn out or edges are all good and no alignment issues but tire thread depth is just different on all 4 tires? As I said nothing against your suggestion I just want to learn more if I can. How can you get unequal thread on AWD?

Thanks - al

Edited by aki334

You can research why and get the full explaination but the short answer it can cause stress to the AWD system.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is good for the Soul.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

... why is the equal tire tread all around so important in this case?

Because Subaru states that the measured circumference of all four tires should be within 1/4 inch, which means a difference in tread depth of no more than 1.3/32 inch (1.0 mm). Mismatched tires can damage the AWD Multiplate Transfer Clutch.

How can you get unequal thread [sic] on AWD?

• Unequal tire wear, perhaps due to lack of proper rotation.
  • Mounting a new tire (100% tread depth), while keeping one or more tires with significant tread wear.
  • Mixing different tire types or sizes.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Because Subaru states that the measured circumference of all four tires should be within 1/4 inch, which means a difference in tread depth of no more than 1.3/32 inch (1.0 mm). Mismatched tires can damage the AWD Multiplate Transfer Clutch.

• Unequal tire wear, perhaps due to lack of proper rotation.
  • Mounting a new tire (100% tread depth), while keeping one or more tires with significant tread wear.
  • Mixing different tire types or sizes.

wow 1 mm. That will be hard to monitor.

Edited by aki334

If you rotate every oil change you'll be fine. If you get a hole in a tire and it can't be patched buy 4 new ones and you'll be fine.

Most people won't have issues with this but we bought a second 3.6R recently and the lesee allowed the dealership to fully replace a single tire when 13K were on the other 3. A tread depth gauge (very cheap tool I got at the auto parts store) showed a difference in depth of 2mm. Slight shaking could be felt in the wheel. We immediately had 4 new tires put on at partial cost to the dealership and it drives without any wheel vibration now.

I forgot to mention that the dealership had performed the 30K service when they took the car in on a trade (i.e., prior owner bought a WRX). The dealership showed us the services performed, which included standard 30K checks plus one end-link being replaced. Not sure if they do that for all certified pre-owned (CPO) but it was good so see.

I am familiar with the Subi requirement to replace tires in sets of 4 -- normally not an issue except when one tire goes prematurely (e.g., side rip due to road debris), and then you have to replace all 4 tires. Such is the price of owning a Subaru. ;-)