LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

Contacted Dave at cryo tune today and sounds like I'm ready to go for my tune. Used the discount code he had here on the forum and just awaiting instructions now. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like a kid in a toy store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled my LV this morning and my iam was below 1. I also pulled it Saturday morning and everything looked great.

Well what's happened between them. New oem filter, new maf, routed fpr to bpv, put on boost map sensor, and lost a bolt in the engine bay and started driving in sport.

Btssm froze on the way to work this morning but something has updated because it's connecting easily now which is great.

It knocks when I give it some throttle and boost in 2/3 gear. Fkc hit -1.76 but load was like 1.1g/rev. No misfires. I'm thinking that bolt, which is somewhere on the driver head, might be rattling around. I know what I'll be doing after work....

On the way home my IAM dropped again so I started driving cautiously. The work all took way longer than I would have liked. Took about 1.5hr to get the bolt I dropped. I was trying hard not to take off the intake manifold since I didn't have all my tools. After I got it, I decided to inspect around there and noticed another loose bolt next to the knock sensor. Got that one fished out, ECU was reset by a battery disconnect. Went and drove some.

My IAM is back at 1 now so that's good. I wasn't getting any misfires but was getting still random low load knock. I did have some knock toward the end of a random pull but I actually logged a proper 3rd gear pull and I think it looks ok? Anyone want to confirm.

I think there was no knock but there is learned timing being pulled from earlier attempts. From what I understand though, it started going down because it wasn't detecting knock? It all was in a pretty close together section as far as load, rpm, etc so I wouldn't think anything on here to be an issue.

BtSsm_20200130_012942.csv

Well I think so far a good weekend.

Got the windows tinted, changed the oil in anticipation of tuning. It was at 3200k and didn't see even any sparkles really. Installed a fumoto valve. Got the rear diff skid plate on with some invaluable help from my lady friend. Led lights for the license plate. Tires rotated. And most importantly, golfwang sticker on the rear.

d5a3e300936c10781b15f9295a8aed55.jpg

Glad to see the skid plate is already doing its job. Although admittedly that's 3/8" thick and might have not even hit without it.

Some observations. Got a slight leak coming from the lower radiator hose at the water pump. A little annoying and tightened the clamp. We'll see if that helps.

After cleaning the valve cover and changing the oil feed tube and gasket, I still have some oil seepage. I think it's coming from the front spark plug area and will likely stay like that until summer unless it's an issue. I think I used less than a quart of oil in 3200 miles even with everything in the throttle body hose. The small leak at the back of the transmission seems to use a negligible amount of fluids.

And whoever put on my tires put one of them on wrong. As in the part that says outside is on the inside of the wheel. Just the one thankfully. I got them measured at Costco and they were "90% one side 80% other side" but it's a 10/32 tire so I think I'll be fine to just get that one remounted correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't feel good this morning and called in sick. Felt better in the afternoon so I finally got around to doing the rear sway bar and kartboy end links. Used my space at my apartment and no one seemed to mind, but rhino ramps also means no tarmac damage. Had to take off the roof box though which was a pain to get off and lug upstairs.

Took about 3 hours. Tons of crud in my face. Had a bunch of trouble with getting things to line up for the end links. No trouble getting the old stuff off. Wish I had bought new brackets and hardware. Also noticed how flimsy the brackets are. They look pretty sturdy but would flex while putting the breaker bar on the lower bolt. Will need to get reinforcement brackets later.

8de8928a30fcddfe162c75a047ecee3f.jpg

Kind of difficult to see but it was dark when I finished. Might be able to make out the rear diff skid plate there too. No real impressions yet. Went around a little and didn't hear any squeaks creaks or thunks. Car might feel more solid on corners and high speed train tracks or it might be in my head. I would say that it feels like the front, which is what I would expect the car to feel like anyway. Maybe going to the ski resort tomorrow will give a better impression.

I did seem to notice my valve train making noise though. I can only really hear it at idle and when I pop the hood I can locate it to either head by the valve cover. It seems... louder? It's just a light clacking noise and I know these cars have "noisy valve trains" but it definitely seems more noisy than 5k miles ago. I'm only 500 miles into this oil change and levels are good so that's not it.

Also got my next map from cryo. Won't get to do anything with it until Wed but he said it was looking good and OK to do power pulls with this next one.

I'll try to get one later. Yea I actually heard it the first time at the atm. Been trying to listen for rattles to eliminate false knocks if I have any, which means I now know of no fewer than nine pieces of noisy interior trim.

Well not much new. Got some lgt front calipers in. Need to clean them up, prep them for painting, and I'd like to rebuild them. Is there a way to pop out the pistons without an air compressor?

Also got to show off my car to my only friend who really enjoys driving. Not much of a car person but she might co-driver for me if I ever manage to build a rally car. Was fun but in one tight corner I felt the inside rear tire skitter. Is that the vdc kicking in? I thought the bigger rear sway bar should transfer more weight to inside tire? Could have just been a damp patch.

If your replacing the pistons, just grab them with pliers and twist/pull them out.

You know a rebuilt caliper from the auto parts stores is much easier...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't over think this, with the wheels on you can't see the perfectly painted calipers, plus once you begin to drive and they get dirty...you have much more better things to worry about.

Just paint what you can, they'll look great from 10 ft away.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Don't over think this, with the wheels on you can't see the perfectly painted calipers, plus once you begin to drive and they get dirty...you have much more better things to worry about.

Just paint what you can, they'll look great from 10 ft away.

Facts!

As to the valve train noise comment, I too have noticed what I thought were loud lifters. Only difference is, you're on a fresh rebuild, and I'm on 175,000mi internals. Yikes!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Make sure your not confusing injectors firing with valve train noise.

I listened to my engine while scraping the frost off the windshield today, still just the clicking of the injectors. Didn't I post the video I made of my engine at idle, back in this thread...

Make sure your not confusing injectors firing with valve train noise.

I listened to my engine while scraping the frost off the windshield today, still just the clicking of the injectors. Didn't I post the video I made of my engine at idle, back in this thread...

You know what I think you did. I also have one from start up when I lost my mind about smoking and exhaust leaks. When I get to a computer I'll try to search the thread.

Was listening to a wrx at a stop light the other night and it made me feel better about exhaust sounds

I didn't find it either. On page 13 I think, there is a link to a Google drive video of my engine after first start up. It definitely doesn't have as much valvetrain/injector noise.

I swear I saw a video of maxcapacitys car at idle recently. Idk what injectors really sound like as they aren't as accessible on the civic, or maybe I haven't paid attention. I also have top feed so idk how that comes into play.

Got another tune tonight though but trying to sort out house stuff so won't get to do any flashing or logging until tomorrow.

I looked around my PC and didn't find it either, may be its one a thumb drive...sorry.

If you can take a video of the engine running while moving the camera around the engine, over the top and down by the valve covers...that would help us hear what your hearing.

Yea I've been meaning to take a video and just haven't. Did today after getting to work so this is with a warmed up engine that's been driven about 10 miles.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/169EO27HRzV6sUHxzh5CVNEnZSYJ3Rq1Q/view?usp=drivesdk

You can hear it on either side of the heads which is why I thought valves but injectors also would make sense. And I'm pretty sure that's either my alternator dying or the bearing going out.

That sounds a lot like my engine noise. I did find the video on a thumb drive.

If I can figure out how to post the video I will.

Methinks you're fine. My previous LGT sounded like that, the old motor out of my current LGT sounded like that, my 80k mile WRX sounds like that, and my new motor sounds like that. The only Subaru I've owned that hasn't sounded like this had no motor in it :lol:

Funny enough, my neighbor has an 09 LGT that's smooth and quiet. I suspect that a quiet EJ is a luck of the draw in terms of tolerances on a particular motor. Doesn't need to be quiet to run in spec, right?

A few days ago I took a video of the wagon next to a wall to show people because I remembered your thread, here it is:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dq--0Drem8vFbfpEKwF-vUuM_UOdEmsF

I love hearing confirmation that it's unlikely my engine will blow up again soon.

It's rotella t6. 1k into this oci and checked about 200 miles ago and was full. What do you mean by air? As in a vacuum leak? Yea the bearing noise is super obviously the alternator. I should probably hit it with some Triflow. I'm hoping it'll be fine for a few more months and then I plan to replace it (pretty sure I saw that was possible).

The only thing I hear worth mentioning in that video is your exhaust haha. I've been told that the outback sounds like a spaceship, and like it's screaming (turbo noise) and it makes me sad. I've got ideas of a cat back in my head but not sure if the money should go there or wheels or brakes or radio....