LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

It's clean and muscular - personal opinion - that says, I'm ready to go the distance without looking like I've spent 6 hours a day in the gym, to improve my macho physique. No offense to those who do.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw one. Looks like an Outback and a Forester had a bloated baby.

Bloated? Yeah its not that big, I would say more of a stretched Outback than a larger Outback. Most importantly it doesn't drive like it is big, the steering is very light at low speed and the general feeling is pretty pleasant.

Steering gets a lot tighter at highway speeds from what I’ve felt and read. Not sure if that is related to LKA but lots of people really praising it.

The elephant in the room is the new engine and transmission combo ;)

Finally saw an Ascent on the road yesterday. I think the most remarkable thing about the Ascent, is how unremarkable the styling is. Meaning, for a company that has made some ... interesting ... styling choices in the past, this vehicle is boringly not fugly.

:whore:

Last Friday, I went for a bike ride with my wife and kids. As we were loading the bikes back onto the rack, there was a car that stopped about 100 feet from us. I glanced at it and did not pay much attention to it. Glanced back and it was an Ascent!! At first I really thought it was a Hyundai Santa Fe or something.

But yeah, it really did not seem that large in the end.

I saw few ascents at my dealers lots, they premium is not my type but the limited and touring look sick, I think most of them were sold and waiting for the owners were picking them up.

I have to say the interior is such as the vents, seats and the navigation unit is definitely improved. The car is very big and it looks amazing. The grille imo is nice, but I rather have the legacy jdm grille look. But either way the grille is neat.

The rear end I am not a fan of it, looks lots like Toyota or ford. I wish they went with a more aggressive look, but the the price and amount of car you get and all the standard safety feature like eyesight it’s a great value.

Cup holders are a bit much, but again. It’s cool.

The rest of the Ascent exterior looks taut and well-executed, but the rear end, as designed, looks timid and puckered.

Subaru-Ascent-2019-1600-0f.jpg

I wish they had kept the upper 2/3s of the VIZIV 7 rear end and massaged the bottom 1/3 a a bit more. The VIZIV 7's rear bottom was a design carry over from the front bottom, but it was a little garish for my tastes.

CR-Cars-Inline-Subaru-Viziv-7-SUV-Concept-r-11-16

It's bland and a bit boring, but on the other hand it also means that it's not going to age as bad as a design that's looking extremely modern.

I see that the main target customers are probably more interested in how useful the vehicle is than a design that stands out as either modern or fugly.

453747.png

Originally Posted by kukabuka on that site which shall not be named:

I picked up a red Ascent Touring on Friday. Everything was great until it wouldn't let me park in the garage because of a phantom obstacle. I'm new to eyesight, so I don't know what it's problem was. I will be disappointed if I have to disable electronic nannies every time I try to park at home.

Coupled with the SIA QA issues with the Honeywell-supplied turbos and the FKC / FLKC orchestra when data logging a Dealer demo running AKI87 E10 and AKI89 E10 - leave only the S-AWD to provide any level of confidence before the new car smell wears off and daily family hauler status is unlocked.

The rest of the Ascent exterior looks taut and well-executed, but the rear end, as designed, looks timid and puckered.

Subaru-Ascent-2019-1600-0f.jpg

I wish they had kept the upper 2/3s of the VIZIV 7 rear end and massaged the bottom 1/3 a a bit more. The VIZIV 7's rear bottom was a design carry over from the front bottom, but it was a little garish for my tastes.

CR-Cars-Inline-Subaru-Viziv-7-SUV-Concept-r-11-16

Back of the Viziv reminds me of the New mode Honda Odyssey. Gross. Too tron like for me. I hate the new Civic.

I like the Fozzy tails but these look more like a hybrid between the OB and Foz together.

Hardest thing for me is the Touring trim. Have to find a color that goes with the Brown. I’m usually a Black / Black but I’m going to lean white this time.

I picked up a red Ascent Touring on Friday. Everything was great until it wouldn't let me park in the garage because of a phantom obstacle. I'm new to eyesight, so I don't know what it's problem was. I will be disappointed if I have to disable electronic nannies every time I try to park at home.

Coupled with the SIA QA issues with the Honeywell-supplied turbos and the FKC / FLKC orchestra when data logging a Dealer demo running AKI87 E10 and AKI89 E10 - leave only the S-AWD to provide any level of confidence before the new car smell wears off and daily family hauler status is unlocked.

You have evidence of the FKC going bananas with 87 compared to 89? Or just hypothesizing?

It's why I hate all the electronics in car today.

Jeep has run into a similar issue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3FAG5BJWT/

We've settled on CWP, or ABP if we go with the Touring model.

CWP, ABP, or my wife's favorite, TM, all with WI interior if we go with the Limited model.

You have evidence of the FKC going bananas with 87 compared to 89? Or just hypothesizing?
I think I spelled it out rather clearly above. Data logged/monitored the dealership demo car with AKI87 and 89 and BOTH showed fair bit of FKC noise. I have no interest in this vehicle, just wanted to see how the base t00n behaves and if Hitachi, Subaru and the unnamed thid-party which builds the stock calibrations (on a contract) learned anything from Liberty/Legacy DIT, last FXT days and then 2015-2018 Levorg/WRX/S4 days. Evidence? Ive given up on providing any on this site and others years ago. People can come to their own conclusions and spend their own time monitoring and logging Ascents if interested.

We've settled on CWP, or ABP if we go with the Touring model.

CWP, ABP, or my wife's favorite, TM, all with WI interior if we go with the Limited model.

I was thinking the white would hide deeper scratches and dings that go through to the base coat. I do like the blue and even the crimson. Those look cool.

Data logged/monitored the dealership demo car with AKI87 and 89 and BOTH showed fair bit of FKC noise.

You used BtSsm to do that? Would love to see some screenshots of your findings. How often was it detecting knock, and in what kind of load range was it happening? Does this engine have intake/exhaust vvts? Did you pay attention to target boost too? Sorry lots of questions :spin:

I think I spelled it out rather clearly above. Data logged/monitored the dealership demo car with AKI87 and 89 and BOTH showed fair bit of FKC noise. I have no interest in this vehicle, just wanted to see how the base t00n behaves and if Hitachi, Subaru and the unnamed thid-party which builds the stock calibrations (on a contract) learned anything from Liberty/Legacy DIT, last FXT days and then 2015-2018 Levorg/WRX/S4 days. Evidence? Ive given up on providing any on this site and others years ago. People can come to their own conclusions and spend their own time monitoring and logging Ascents if interested.

I'm actually not surprised seeing how every NA Subaru does exactly that too. It's part of the dual octane ECU logic, it has to knock to switch to 87 map with more restarted timing. Unless it was knocking even with IAM at 0 then that's bad.

What I'm really curious about is weather the 266hp is on 87 gas or on 93 gas. I applaud Mazda for providing two HP numbers based on Octane, just not sure if Subaru did the same or not.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm actually not surprised seeing how every NA Subaru does exactly that too. It's part of the dual octane ECU logic, it has to knock to switch to 87 map with more restarted timing. Unless it was knocking even with IAM at 0 then that's bad.

What I'm really curious about is weather the 266hp is on 87 gas or on 93 gas. I applaud Mazda for providing two HP numbers based on Octane, just not sure if Subaru did the same or not.

I am pretty convinced that all Subaru hp rating are all based on 93 octane. (I wonder if the FB motor less prone to knock and produce more hp on 87 than EJ motors).

I am cyclist and when I ride my bike up long gradual inclines, I hear most cars passing me knocking going up the hill. I suspect the % of car that don't knock is the take rate on higher 93 and maybe 89 octane. Knock on 87 is industry wide and not just a Subaru tune and ECM logic issue.

Edited by dgoodhue

That's fair, I can't really compare to other cars since I've never owned a newer non Subaru, and most of my friends have Subaru's. Plus I can't pull learning views from other manufacturers :).

Though my parent's 2013 CRV AWD, that they recently got, was pretty peppy and with no audible knock on 87 gas. It felt more like my outback does on 93 gas.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I am pretty convinced that all Subaru hp rating are all based on 93 octane. (I wonder if the FB motor less prone to knock and produce more hp on 87 than EJ motors).

I am cyclist and when I ride my bike up long gradual inclines, I hear most cars passing me knocking going up the hill. I suspect the % of car that don't knock is the take rate on higher 93 and maybe 89 octane. Knock on 87 is industry wide and not just a Subaru tune and ECM logic issue.

It's been stated in multiple places: the 2.4 DIT is rated on 87 octane gas.

It's been stated in multiple places: the 2.4 DIT is rated on 87 octane gas.

It is design to run on regular, but I am pretty sure that Subaru never said it made its rated 260hp on 87 octane. Percitus, just said a couple posts that using a scan tool, it had a fair amount of FKC (Fine Knock Correction) on 87 and 89 octane. It doesn't take much timing removed to knock down the HP.