LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

looking at the part numbers. the MY05 LGT auto tranny is 31000AG120

the MY05 OBXT is 31000AG140

the MY05 FXT is 31000AG250 or 31000AG300

this is why i was asking the question. they are all considered 5EAT but since the genuine Subaru part numbers are different, it gave me concern.

edit: here's the link i used for FXT with the auto tranny

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Forester-XT-Sports-25L-TURBO-AT/_52093_6021991/AT--TRANSMISSION-ASSEMBLY/S11-150-01.html

looking at the part numbers. the MY05 LGT auto tranny is 31000AG120

the MY05 OBXT is 31000AG140

the MY05 FXT is 31000AG250 or 31000AG300

this is why i was asking the question. they are all considered 5EAT but since the genuine Subaru part numbers are different, it gave me concern.

In short: MY05 LGT or MY05 OBXT will fit.

No other years will fit - someone on here tried to put an '06 into an '05, and had to give up due to too many ECU error codes.

I would assume the same with FXT - too many mismatches in the ECUs. I wouldn't take a chance on an FXT 5EAT..

I see many are saying LGT and OBXT will work... But what about final drive? I understand that's diff related, but don't the front and rear differentials have to be the same ratio? Unless LGT and OBXT use the same rear diff and final drive is determined by another factor?

Just playing devil's advocate :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I see many are saying LGT and OBXT will work... But what about final drive? I understand that's diff related, but don't the front and rear differentials have to be the same ratio? Unless LGT and OBXT use the same rear diff and final drive is determined by another factor?

Just playing devil's advocate :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said OBXT. I actually don't know for sure.

Going to do a drain and fill on my rear diff and tranny..

4 QT Redline 75W90NS for the Front Transmission

1 QT Redline 75W90 Gear Oil for the Rear End

anyone recommend any oil product that is better?

seems like the ATF filter you don't touch?

In the words of the maintenance schedule:

"The ATF filter is a maintenance free part. ATF filter needs replacement when it has physical rust, damaged or ATF leaked."

I will have to buy a T70 and a small hand pump off amazon but thats no biggy.

thanks

seems like the ATF filter you don't touch?

In the words of the maintenance schedule:

"The ATF filter is a maintenance free part. ATF filter needs replacement when it has physical rust, damaged or ATF leaked."

it's tucked in the engine bay near the battery. We decided to change it when I installed a trans cooler years ago, but never since.

If you want to change it, it won't hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

Was wondering if someone here would have any idea what this issue is. My cars been making an odd noise the last few weeks. Just starting to get louder.

Wheel Speed Relative

Only Hear it On Throttle

Slight Vibration Felt in Shifter with Noise

Higher Pitch with Higher Speed

Most Noticeable at 45mph and back at 60mph, tapers off after 65mph to slight whine

Anyone have any clue? Seems to be pointing to maybe the center diff transfer bearing? It's still under warranty. I'm kinda lost how this has happened. Maybe aggressive driving. I've been rotating tires. Tread depth seems to be within tolerance between wheels. It's never been towed on just the front or rear tires, or at all for that matter.

Trans fluid is at F after fully warmed up, car in P and running. Changed the front and rear diff fluid twice in the last 45k miles or so. Front is full, checked that a couple times. Rear I even took the fill nut out again and stuck the tube in and it instantly starting pouring back out the fill hole. Not sure at this point. Took it to the dealer once when it was quieter and they said "tire noise" but I really didn't think so at the time and really don't think so now. What do you guys think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDzROuCzs-4]Drivetrain Noise[/ame]

Edited by Timothy.B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ok i have seen the question asked but not fully answered. Currently have an 05 Outback XT 5EAT. Trans Slips going into 5th at times. Got P0735 incorrect gear ratio code today. Have spare perfect shifting 5EAT trans from my 05 Legacy Gt, but not the rear diff. Conflicting info on whether these can be swapped with out the rear differential.

Ok i have seen the question asked but not fully answered. Currently have an 05 Outback XT 5EAT. Trans Slips going into 5th at times. Got P0735 incorrect gear ratio code today. Have spare perfect shifting 5EAT trans from my 05 Legacy Gt, but not the rear diff. Conflicting info on whether these can be swapped with out the rear differential.

Front differential.

LGT 3.272

OBXT 3.5xx or something like that. Key point is it's different.

You would at minimum need to at minimum keep the original front diff ring and pinion with the car, or you're going to tear up your center diff quick.

IF those are the only differences, then you'll be alright. VBs are the same, most internal parts are definitely the same, center diffs are the same, but some people I've worked with have ended up in hell trying to get mispatched parts to work, so do so at your own risk, after pouring over a split screen pullup of every part number for each trans that you can find.

Just my $0.02 :)

Or just get the rear diff ring and pinion or total assembly to match. As long as they match you are likely good. I don't know whether you would throw codes or the various speed sensors feeding the various CAN modules (ABS & Trans) would leave you alone after they talk to each other.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

So, went to the dealer a week ago. Turned out to be my rear diff. So they ordered the parts they needed and said they'd call me back when they're in. Wasn't even the transmission. Thank god. Covered under warranty still too which is good.

I hear this happening more and more over the past few years. Rear diffs fail after a while, sometimes.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Front differential.

LGT 3.272

OBXT 3.5xx or something like that. Key point is it's different.

Are both transfer cases 1:1, or is one of them 1.1:1 ? Some models have different ratios in the front and rear diffs and the transfer case evens then out.

• 4 weeks later...

Checking in with the experts here before I go down this path... if I have a 2006 GT 2.5 (BL9) with a 5EAT, does this mean I can swap my transmission with any other BL9 regardless of their production year? Or do I have to specifically look for one that was made in the same year? I guess my main concern is the TCU differences between the two transmissions.

The only reason I'm considering this is because I get a very loud 2nd to 3rd gear clunk when the car is still cold. I've tried a full ATF flush and ATF additive but the clunk is slowly getting worse. I have access to a donor car and the cost would be much less than rebuilding my current gearbox.

I was going to say, at a minumum, you would need an 05/06. I know its different from an 08/09.

Who the hell knows what an 07 runs.

lol, I checked with the donor car and our transmission part numbers listed on the plaque match so I think it should be good to go.

Read this first: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5333533&postcount=1177

HexMods is considered THE guru for the 5EAT. Now, in this case, it was putting an '06 5EAT into an '05 car, IIRC. You're going the other way. However, his comment of "it will be a hybrid of the two" probably still applies. EVEN if the part numbers are the same, I would think. Unless it's really a late '05 and you have an early '06? I guess it depends on how much work you can do yourself - if you can swap over JUST the gears or something, then it's probably fine. If you're paying someone else, you don't want to end up paying them to do the research..

Read this first: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5333533&postcount=1177

HexMods is considered THE guru for the 5EAT. Now, in this case, it was putting an '06 5EAT into an '05 car, IIRC. You're going the other way. However, his comment of "it will be a hybrid of the two" probably still applies. EVEN if the part numbers are the same, I would think. Unless it's really a late '05 and you have an early '06? I guess it depends on how much work you can do yourself - if you can swap over JUST the gears or something, then it's probably fine. If you're paying someone else, you don't want to end up paying them to do the research..

Thanks for the links, it seems like like they were trying to swap transmissions from different chassis and models?

For me I checked the plaque in the engine bay on both cars, it is the same chassis, same revision, same engine code, same trim code, and same transmission type.

I'm in Singapore and the 2.5 LGT was only officially offered here with the 5EAT, I'm just hoping the TCU will be OK with a transmission from possibly different years.

Thanks for the links, it seems like like they were trying to swap transmissions from different chassis and models?

For me I checked the plaque in the engine bay on both cars, it is the same chassis, same revision, same engine code, same trim code, and same transmission type.

I'm in Singapore and the 2.5 LGT was only officially offered here with the 5EAT, I'm just hoping the TCU will be OK with a transmission from possibly different years.

As far as I know, Doc Crowley had a USDM 2006 legacy GT with a dead 5EAT and tried to put a 2005 USDM legacy GT 5EAT into it. Same model of car, just one year different. I do not know about engine code, transmission code and whether they matched up.

I also don't know what you got in Singapore, so I can't say for sure. What I'm saying is that from the 2005 Legacy GT in the US to the 2006 Legacy GT (same car on the outside, some everything, more or less), Subaru made internal/ECU/TCU changes so that you could not just swap parts from one year to the other.

I wish you the best of luck - and I mean that. I'm just trying to answer your initial question with as much detail as I have.

As far as I know, Doc Crowley had a USDM 2006 legacy GT with a dead 5EAT and tried to put a 2005 USDM legacy GT 5EAT into it. Same model of car, just one year different. I do not know about engine code, transmission code and whether they matched up.

I also don't know what you got in Singapore, so I can't say for sure. What I'm saying is that from the 2005 Legacy GT in the US to the 2006 Legacy GT (same car on the outside, some everything, more or less), Subaru made internal/ECU/TCU changes so that you could not just swap parts from one year to the other.

I wish you the best of luck - and I mean that. I'm just trying to answer your initial question with as much detail as I have.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help and links to Doc's post. Now I'm really having second thoughts on even attempting this swap...

Can the TCU be swapped over too or is it not that simple? I'll try to find out what year the donor car is and just pray it's the same as mine :lol: