LegacyGT.com

Minor bumper cover damage

This morning rolled mile 2000 that I've driven my Legacy. An opossum jumped out of a storm drain on an off ramp and smucked m my front bumper at considerable rate of speed... Fuzz was spread all over the ramp but it must of crawled back into the storm drain. None of my co-workers saw the thing after I hit it.

The drivers side upper part popped out around the headlight. A retaining ring that holds the upper part of the bumper cover on, broke out. Some of the friction plugs fell out or were ripped out of the plastic on the underbody.

I'm working on some pics.

Question is, my old subaru had minor damage like this that snowballed that caused tons of havoc. Inner fenders ripped out, bmper cover eventually held on with zip ties and etc.

Is this something that will cause it to fall out and fall apart if I just snap it back together?

It's tough to say. If you're able to snap it all back into place and you're happy with the appearance, then I say go for it. However if it's actually broken and won't stay in, you may want to claim it with your insurance. A new painted front cover isn't going to be cheap.

Is the paint damaged?

If not pull your bumper off and check behind it.

My exsisterinlaw backed into my car recently (not as fast as your crash). The fromt plate got bent, and the bumper ends were pushed out. I flexed the front plate bracket back in shape and the bumper ends popped back in place. Looks okay. When it warms up I will take the bumper off and check behind.

So far, there does not seem to be damage. Just have to replace a bunch of friction plug thingies. The bumper snapped back into place with no ill effect, but does unsnap pretty easy again.

But then theres this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-bumper-cover-popping-loose-261863.html?p=5628724#post5628724

Hopefully replacing all those plugs (counted 6 that let go of different sizes) will cause it to not pop off again.

If all else fails, I can drill into the part of the ring tab thats still left and throw a loop of 14awg copper wire in there to hold it on around the plug thats in the fenderwell.

Edit: I laughed at exssisterinlaw.

Archived