LegacyGT.com

Replacing the Turbo

Well, the LGT has 125k miles on it. I am the kind of gal that believes in replacing parts before they fail, not after:lol:

So I am thinking of a BNR 16 or 18 g. The car already has a Cobb DP and UP, stock exhaust and a Perrin IC (yeah, it fits, it's an 05), Cobb stage 2.

I prefer torque to high RPM hp. Any suggestions? This is my fun car, not a DD, but I do take long trips in it to the wilds of Newfoundland, hence the "stage 5" suspension mods:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

the turbo's bearing material and journal gets shredded and gets drained with the circulating oil through it, therefore that oil ends up back in the oil pan, the oil and shit in the oil pan gets sucked up by the pump and circulates all that happy stuff through the engine thus almost instantly clogging banjo filters and destroying crankshaft rod bearings. clogged banjos (for whatever reason) will throw the p0021 code. or if the avcs solenoid itself is bad, that code will come up too. a bad avcs solenoid can cause funky idle and poor performance. but the fact that you mentioned an oil pressure light (even briefly) leads me to believe its something else relating to oil delivery and/or contamination.

the turbo's bearing material and journal gets shredded and gets drained with the circulating oil through it, therefore that oil ends up back in the oil pan, the oil and shit in the oil pan gets sucked up by the pump and circulates all that happy stuff through the engine thus almost instantly clogging banjo filters and destroying crankshaft rod bearings. clogged banjos (for whatever reason) will throw the p0021 code. or if the avcs solenoid itself is bad, that code will come up too. a bad avcs solenoid can cause funky idle and poor performance. but the fact that you mentioned an oil pressure light (even briefly) leads me to believe its something else relating to oil delivery and/or contamination.

The motor runs perfectly. I just intend to replace the turbo b4 it fails. It probably is good for another 30k, but I would rather spend the money now, rather than risk big bucks in the future.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

+ 1 for the vf52, easy bolt on, with a tune...see my sig.

If I were you, knowing you have a clue about things mechanical, I would save the cash, listen to the turbo, learn how it sounds, mine gave me plunty of warning before it was time to change it.

after the P0011 and P0021 CEL at the same time, the turbo still lasted a 1000 miles. It began to whine under boost for most of that time. The day it began to whistle is the day I stop driving it and ordered the vf52 from Mike at AZPinstalls.com. I ordered it by email or PM in the morning and had it the next day when I got home.

I would also tell you to get bolts to replace the studs in the up pipe. It makes it much easier to install the turbo on the oil return hose fitting and the inlet tube at the same time.

Oh you should get a new oil return hose too. I got my bolts and hose from the dealer. The bolts are the same ones used to hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

Remember to use anti-seize compound on all nut's and bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

+ 1 for the vf52, easy bolt on, with a tune...see my sig.

If I were you, knowing you have a clue about things mechanical, I would save the cash, listen to the turbo, learn how it sounds, mine gave me plunty of warning before it was time to change it.

after the P0011 and P0021 CEL at the same time, the turbo still lasted a 1000 miles. It began to whine under boost for most of that time. The day it began to whistle is the day I stop driving it and ordered the vf52 from Mike at AZPinstalls.com. I ordered it by email or PM in the morning and had it the next day when I got home.

I would also tell you to get bolts to replace the studs in the up pipe. It makes it much easier to install the turbo on the oil return hose fitting and the inlet tube at the same time.

Oh you should get a new oil return hose too. I got my bolts and hose from the dealer. The bolts are the same ones used to hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

Remember to use anti-seize compound on all nut's and bolts.

I hear what you are saying, BUT!!!!!! If the turbo goes in Newfoundland, Florida, etc. I am faced with the LGT broken in a foreign place.

I hear what you are saying, BUT!!!!!! If the turbo goes in Newfoundland, Florida, etc. I am faced with the LGT broken in a foreign place.

That's the same reasoning I used when I replaced my short block 3000 miles ago for oil usage. Do it when its a good time for me...why wait until something happens.

If you have the money and time, order a turbo of choice and do it now.

Or have the shaft play checked in your's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

That's the same reasoning I used when I replaced my short block 3000 miles ago for oil usage. Do it when its a good time for me...why wait until something happens.

If you have the money and time, order a turbo of choice and do it now.

Or have the shaft play checked in your's.

We think alike:wub:

We think alike:wub:

I'm thinking that knowing what we have for cars, makes it that much easier to decide to keep them for a long time. I waited years for Subaru or any manufacture to build a car like this.

I'm thinking that knowing what we have for cars, makes it that much easier to decide to keep them for a long time. I waited years for Subaru or any manufacture to build a car like this.

Me too.:wub: I am not holding my breath for anything that comes close for a substitute:lol:

There is nothing, repeat nothing, that comes close to the 2005-06 wagon MT at ANY price.:)

My GF tells people, that the car and I are attached at the hip.

Thankfully she understands.

:lol:;)

Mine too.

Archived