LegacyGT.com

Hard brake pedal when pressing to start. (Push start)

Brake pedal all of a sudden has been rock hard when starting car with push start? Seems to get hard after a couple hours? It's normal if I restart after going in a store or getting gas? Anyone else noticing a hard pedal? I feel.like it's a sign something is wrong or will get worse? Any insight is appreciated.

do you get in the car with your foot pressing on the brake pedal to guide you in? if this is done, remaining vacuum in the booster gets depleted. if not, i would suspect a leaking check valve that should be located inside the hose going to the booster if its similar to most vehicles.

do you get in the car with your foot pressing on the brake pedal to guide you in? if this is done, remaining vacuum in the booster gets depleted. if not, i would suspect a leaking check valve that should be located inside the hose going to the booster if its similar to most vehicles.

No. I only press the pedal right before pressing the start button. As soon as the car starts the pedal goes back to normal. ?

If it only happens after a few hours and never when driving then it's probably just a one-way vacuum valve for the brake booster that's getting aged and starting to leak.

Not a big deal. If the brake booster completely loses it when driving so the pedal is always hard then it's a different issue.

453747.png

Just being proactive on my part. I've learned to address issues asap because more often than not something else can and does go wrong. Gonna check if its covered and have it replaced. Appreciate the feedback. Now let's talk about handling. Just kidding.

Subaru used to put a check valve in the hose that feeds vacuum to the booster. on my 2003 Legacy the brakes would be rock hard to push just after starting on cold days and it look a few presses to get them working. replaced that line and all good since