LegacyGT.com

Ignition Key Sticking

I have a 2018 Legacy Premium. Occasionally the ignition key will stick, requiring force to turn the ignition on. The car is in park at the time. The occurrence is very sporadic. Do you have any suggestions as to cause? A fix? I am concerned that at some point the car simply won't start at all. A dealer would probably be unable to replicate the issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the Start Button? The button on mine is smooth and shows no signs of sticking. It's a new car and should not do that. Take it in and have them fix it.
Hi Bobby- No, the 2018 Legacy premium uses a physical key to start the car. I learned that wheel lock can be a factor, but I don't believe this is the case in my situation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this TSB applies to your car, but it might be worth asking the dealer if your car could be affected. TSB 16-112-18R which was released on June 21, 2018.

The text below has been copied and pasted from the link below.

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/problems-maintenance-warranty/56050-key-stuck-ignition-4.html

"This bulletin announces a design change to the CVT select lever (shifter) mechanism in response to isolated customer concerns of not being able to remove the key from the ignition switch when the vehicle is in Park. The cause is contamination of the Park-Range switch internal components.

People talk about the problem in this thread as well.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/422746-key-stuck-2016-outback-8.html

So it sounds like they replace the shift lever, and the park position switch.

Shifter issues affect the ability to turn the car OFF. Not the issue here.

Does the problem occur with all 3 keys, or have you tried the others?

A shot of oil in the lock cylinder may help. DO NOT USE GRAPHITE! Use a light oil, such as wd40, pBlaster, Houdini, etc.

But yes, if the steering wheel is locked and bound it will be difficult if not impossible to turn the key unless you release the bind first. Getting the wheel locked and bound happens commonly when you turn the wheel after turning off the car, such as using the steering wheel to lift yourself out of the car. Easy to clear, just turn the wheel in the "springy" direction while turning the key.

Getting the wheel locked and bound happens commonly when you turn the wheel after turning off the car, such as using the steering wheel to lift yourself out of the car. Easy to clear, just turn the wheel in the "springy" direction while turning the key.

This. It has been this way in virtually all cars since 1968, when steering wheel locks were first required by federal mandate.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I had the same issue in my 2016 legacy premium. Turns out it was a faulty sensor in the shifting assembly. Car was in park but it still thought it was in gear so the key wouldn’t come out. They can’t replace just the sensor so they ended up replacing the shifting assembly and I haven’t had a problem since.

I'm not sure if this TSB applies to your car, but it might be worth asking the dealer if your car could be affected. TSB 16-112-18R which was released on June 21, 2018.

The text below has been copied and pasted from the link below.

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/problems-maintenance-warranty/56050-key-stuck-ignition-4.html

"This bulletin announces a design change to the CVT select lever (shifter) mechanism in response to isolated customer concerns of not being able to remove the key from the ignition switch when the vehicle is in Park. The cause is contamination of the Park-Range switch internal components.

People talk about the problem in this thread as well.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/422746-key-stuck-2016-outback-8.html

So it sounds like they replace the shift lever, and the park position switch.

Your right it is a Tsb park range select lever

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Archived