LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertone Install - first impressions

nomoreS4

Thanks to all who posted their horn install info, I ordered a set of Supertones (85115) and they finally arrived.

Some observations from my install:

1. Taking the front grill off was dead simple, as was the bumper cover...no more than 10 minutes work for both. Hate those plastic rivets! If I ever had to do it again, I'd make a custom tool to pry up the rivet tops without damaging them.

2. I tried really hard to make the Hellas fit in place of the stock horns...simply not enough room there. So, I ended up mounting the horns at the sides of the grill cavity -- there are two 10mm bolts on each side, I used the lower ones to mount the horn brackets. As others did, I spray painted the horns black to help them blend in. Used the stock relay.

3. I used yellow wire to make my connections, thinking it wouldn't be that visible, but in fact, you can see it from the cavity between the fogs. Black wire would have been better; will cover it with black spiral stuff.

5. Found a convenient ground point just under the airbox, easy to add another wire lug there.

Assembled everything and took it for a road test to see how it sounded. To be honest, it's much louder than stock, but I don't like the way it sounds. Maybe I can improve the sound by moving the existing black foam away from the horns...likely that will change the way they sound (I hope).

My passenger side bumper cover now doesn't stay "clipped in", sagging a bit, but that's how it was from the factory, until the dealer tweaked something..anyone know how to fix this?

Oh, I took a few pictures, but later when I tried to play them back, my camera said "no memory card".....I had my SD card plugged into my computer when I took the snaps...D'oh!!

the factory bumper clips, suck, in my opinion.

Even after ordering replacement clips to fix the 'sagging' issue the bumper still does not sit properly...

minor issue though, hardly noticeable... I think one day i may try and come up with a better solution to keep it secured.

My passenger side bumper cover now doesn't stay "clipped in", sagging a bit, but that's how it was from the factory, until the dealer tweaked something..anyone know how to fix this?

Be *sure* that you're getting the bumper "tab" up, over, and INto the clip that's at that location.

You might have to re-seat this clip several times during re-installation, as getting your hand into the wheel-well to seat the Pop-It securing the bumper in that particular area can cause the bumper "tab" to come out of the clip.

Pain in the ass, I know....:mad:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just ordered mine earlier this morning and plan on doing the install Friday. Hoepfully I can get some video. I was looking for something more boomy (a la 70's buick) but wasn't real impressed with the trumpet horns I bought (highway blasters). The Hellas I heard on a wrx sounded great. Guess I'll know for sure Friday.

I have Hella's and am not crazy about the sound. Better than stock and louder, but not what I was looking for. Our Mini has a 'real' horn.

Do you think using a Mini horn be an option based on sound quality and size? I want to do something about the "meep, meep".

Tom

Do you think using a Mini horn be an option based on sound quality and size? I want to do something about the "meep, meep".

Tom

I'll have to dig under the hood and find it to see the details. I'd like a pair of them for a +6db boost :D

Be *sure* that you're getting the bumper "tab" up, over, and INto the clip that's at that location.

You might have to re-seat this clip several times during re-installation, as getting your hand into the wheel-well to seat the Pop-It securing the bumper in that particular area can cause the bumper "tab" to come out of the clip.

Pain in the ass, I know....:mad:

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the clip there, I can see it, along with a few slots in the bumper cover at that point. Just keeps popping out, will have to scrutinize it tonight.

No - not IMHO, if all you want to do is to tap the horn wires and use the OEM relay and retain the OEM horns in conjunction with your new.

However, removing the bumper cover will result in a much easier project overall, as the horn wiring can be a little hard to see "from underneath." :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Installed my Light bar today and my dad decided to touch off my Supertones while I was screwing it down, holy shit these babies are loud and christ from a foot away, I was almost on my ass with a nice ring in my ear. For those that have been on the recieving end of these things...

you deserve it, I'm not sorry :D:D:D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived