LegacyGT.com

Looking for clutch with questions.

Cody480

So I've been searching around for a clutch and have been reading reviews that have been placed. From my research it seems that it doesn't really matter what brand you get there seems to be issues with all brands. Is there any one that thinks if i get a spec that it's worse off than any other. Also everyone says the TOB makes allot of noise, so why don't they replace with factory TOB is there a reason or is it just not a normal practice in the Subaru community? I know with my previous cars everytime a clutch replaced to avoid the noise a oem is used. Is there a reason its not recommended here? Just looking for some "imo" from the community and appreciate any feedback.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

I think it depends on your power output and what your looking for.? I think it would be safe to say that in almost any car once you change from an OEM setup you can expect some different noises and things.

Yes i know that and expect it fully. I have mainly bolt ons and bnr 16g currently being tuned by dave @ cryo. I am looking hard at the spec stage 3 cause it seems people dont have much problems with them i guess. So if i were to get it is the stock flywheel good with resurface, and if i use a OEM TOB will there be any issues with functionality? Because with spec if it works as good as others claim you really can't beat the price.

Alot of people do complain about the TOB. After i put my CMFX350 in i thought mine was singing like other people on here have talked about, but after i looked into it the slave rod is moving slightly against the fork from the engine vibration. But i dont see why a OEM TOB wouldn't work. Just make sure its the same as the one that comes with the SPEC kit.

Ok sounds good, thanks. Does anyone have anyone have any huge concerns on the spec that i just haven't found before i take the plunge on a lesser known brand?

IMO you don't need a stage 3 clutch.

I have a Spec 2 and the thing is great. I'm making 280whp on a mustang dyno, that reads low.

I also have the TSK3 kit and I got that TOB from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com

Email him and get a SMFW from a 07-09 Legacy GT and the Spec clutch to match it.

I wipe the FW and PP face with acetone to de-grease it before I install and grease the snout on the tranny as well as the end of the input shaft where the pilot bearing rides.

Also grease the shaft on the starter where the gear slides.

My Spec 2+ clutch which I replaced after 85,000 miles had good bite left in it. I replaced it with the new short block last May.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

DD or weekend car ?

The 5mt will not be very happy once you put lots of torque thru it everyday. Some have said about 350ftlbs is where you begin to have issues.

These cars can be a lot of fun at lower HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ya it will be a dd for the time being, and if i start to have issues ill have to do the 6mt trans from spec b or sti. Im quite sure im already around 350 tq already. Just waiting to get my tune finished and dyno. Just taking longer than i expected and currently having issues with leaks and such.

He's asking, how did you get 350ftlbs out of a 16g ? Is there something your not telling us?

I have a vf52, ported heads, 21psi and I'm making 300ftlbs on stock fueling

I have the ACT HD, TSK3 and SMFW. I'm 'only' putting down 265/290, but it would hold up fine with plenty more power. Lots of people seem to be going down the FX350 route now, which has a lighter pedal feel from what I've been told. Aside from Max's experience with the Spec clutch I haven't heard much good about them, but YMMV of course.

16G spec b?

Because this,

Ya it will be a dd for the time being, and if i start to have issues ill have to do the 6mt trans from spec b or sti. Im quite sure im already around 350 tq already. Just waiting to get my tune finished and dyno. Just taking longer than i expected and currently having issues with leaks and such.

May be that's why he wrot spec B.

Oh ok got ya... ya well i also have titanium bolts and run straight plutonium, once that flux capacitor gets to 1.21gigawatts ill definitely be passed 350 ft/lbs, who will be laughing then? :what:

But then again i came across this that shows him being very close to 350, close as in not quite but very close. And i have the same mods plus some. So it is possible no??

::Sorry for not knowing how to quote him from the other thread::

I had my car dyno tuned March 5th. The tuning was done by Bren Tuning. He uses PSI Racing's (Auburn, MA) Dynapack 2000.

Set-up:

BNR EVO16G

Invidia Catless Up Pipe

Megan Racing Catless Down Pipe

Infamous/Stromung 3" Cat Back

AVO Top Mount

GrimmSpeed EBCS

Stock Air Box & Filter

Stock Fuel Pump

Stock Injectors

Conditions:

Mean Temp: 39 °F

Average Humidity: 81

Elevation: 531'

Prelude to Results:

We did somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 pulls on the dyno before it was all said and done. It was pretty evident early on that the injectors and fuel pump weren't going to be able to keep up with the amount of air that this turbo was flowing. The stock fuel system couldn't keep up after 5500 RPM. There is obviously some power being left on the table.

Results:

Boost: 19 PSI @ 3300 RPM tapering to 16 PSI @ red line (6250 RPM)

Horse Power: 291 @ 5300 RPM and staying relatively flat to red line

Torque: 322 @ 3100 RPM

Conclusion:

The car drives awesome. The torque is right there whenever you need it. The turbo is very responsive. My tuner was impressed with how well the BNR EVO 16G was performing, and if he's happy I'm more than happy.

::rubbing my crystal ball:: "are fuel mods in my future?"

Archived