LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty???

Sub just sent me a card to get extended warranty up to 6 yrs and 100000 miles. I am not an extended type guy. Plus subies are pretty reliable. Any body have any comments on this. I am not even sure what the standard warranty is but 100000 mile is 1250.00 which would pay for a pretty big repair over the next 6 years.

Mark

I don't buy that crap...anymore. I once had a honda that they talked me into the freakin' extended warrentee...well it was a waste of money. I did use it for one thing that amounted to a couple hundred bucks...but the warrentee was about $1000. So I lost $800 when it was said and done. As bluesuby says, most things you find out about in 3yr-36k. The other question is: how long are you gonna keep it? Most people have a car for less than 5 years anyway. Plus, half the sh!t that happens to cars in the long run isn't even covered.

If you are still questioning it, try putting away the $1250 in a savings account or CD. That way if something happens you'll have the cash to take care of it...if not, you'll have and extra $1250+ interest in your pocket when it's said and done.

The powertrain is my main concern @ 5 year 60K miles.

the 3year/36k is for non powertrain related items.

New Car Limited Warranty

BASIC COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the entire car.

Wear Item Limited Warranty

Wear item coverage is 3 year or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve trains

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and cover

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake and exhaust manifolds

Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential

Transaxle case and internal parts

Torque converter

Electronic transmission control unit

Seals and gaskets

Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]*

Propeller shaft

Wheel bearings

*Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not coverable under warranty.

Take it easy baby, no need for this meanness. We should keep it peaceful, homeboy, Jesus!

mcrae.me/minecraft

facebook.com/mike.mcrae.me

twitter.com/mcraeme

I don't buy that crap...anymore. I once had a honda that they talked me into the freakin' extended warrentee...well it was a waste of money. I did use it for one thing that amounted to a couple hundred bucks...but the warrentee was about $1000. So I lost $800 when it was said and done. As bluesuby says, most things you find out about in 3yr-36k. The other question is: how long are you gonna keep it? Most people have a car for less than 5 years anyway. Plus, half the sh!t that happens to cars in the long run isn't even covered.

If you are still questioning it, try putting away the $1250 in a savings account or CD. That way if something happens you'll have the cash to take care of it...if not, you'll have and extra $1250+ interest in your pocket when it's said and done.

Well, this is true with a Subaru, not with an Audi, I strongly suggest and insist on anyone buying a second hand Audi to get an extended warranty, cause you will use it....

I have had on my A6 2.7T and used it for more than 5K in repairs, the car is only 80k miles old.....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

It really depends on your needs and driving habits. I drive alot..I commute 90 miles each way to work. If I didn't get a 100,000 mile warranty I would be out of my mfc warranty in another 13,000 miles and I just bought the car Feb. 05. So for me it was worth it. Besides, I opted not to get the extended warrently on my '02 Nissan Altima, thinking that Nissan makes a reliable car and I probably won't need it. I bought a '96 Altima and did get the extended warranty and did not need it at all, so with the '02 I thought I was safe. Boy was I wrong. That car was in the shop quite a bit. The most major thing came at 86,000 miles. The number 2 cyl went bad and the thing was burning oil so bad, I had to put a quart of oil in every few days. Nissan would not to shit for me at all...absolutely nothing. This should not have a happened in a newer Nissan with 86,000 miles. I changed the oil pretty religiously too. So since that happened. I will now by extended warranties as long as I can bargain a fair price.

edit...think of it as Life/Medical Insurance. You hope to hell you don't ever need it, but happy as a pig in shit when ya do.

Second hand Audis are being sold for a reason. First hand Audis are owned by masochists.
l

Not necessarily...

I had my S4 and very minor problems on it, the problem is that each minor problem, usually electronic gimmicks costs a fortune... Mechanically the car is awesome, just too many little electronic details...

On the other hand I have another A6 2.7T which has given me some problems and all coverred under warranty... So not a questions of being masochist, just preference...

I know tens of people who would prefer to have a used B5 S4 instead of our brand new LGT, maybe because of status, not sure, but they just don't like my car, because this, that and something else....

Comparing automobiles, I still believe that Audi's are ahead of our LGT, no questions asked, better AWD, better interior finish, better trannie, better leather, and the list goes on and on, however you also have to have a fat wallet or buy an exteded warranty to cover all that.. .

You have to pay to play this is what we say and it's valid everywhere!!! heheheeh

I am veeeeeeeeeeeeery happy with my LGT nowadays, but I do miss the S4, they are apples and oranges, we just can't compare the 2 IMHO....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived