LegacyGT.com

What fluids do you recommend?

I recently acquired a '12 Legacy 3.6R Limited with 69k. The vehicle had an oil change sticker in top right of windshield listing next change due at 72k. The car drives absolutely beautiful, especially on the highway. Cruise control at 80mph the car feels so smooth.

Well just wondering what are your recommendations for oil and transmission fluids. I in the past always used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, but I haven't owned a vehicle in over 6 years so not sure whats changed.

I figured I would do a transmission fluid change as well. So any recommendations on what fluid to use would be highly appreciated.

I will also make an attempt at spark plugs, father and I are pretty mechanically inclined, more him then me. Heard NGKs were best. Any specific model.

Air filter will be changed as well.

Thanks for any info you may provide me with. I want this car to last minimum another 80k. Oh I figure 5K intervals should be fine with synthetic

Thanks,

Omar M

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
welp that went off topic quickly. Not sure I can muster up 7 quarts of bodily fluids.

Don't mind s2, he's probably sober right now :lol: But to get it back on track, for engine oil alotta guys like Castrol synthetic or Motul. I'm probably one of the few that run Royal Purple and seem to have good results with minimal oil burning. I haven't personally done my transmission fluid yet so I'm curious to hear what other people think

In all seriousness though Schaeffer's oil, Amsoil, or Motul for your trans and you'll be A-ok. Subarus love NGKs so stick with those. Air filter wouldn't hurt to switch since its a new car and you don't k ow the last it was changed. Also a cheap and great change would be your cabin filter too.

Zee I'm sober to give a helpful answer to ;)

I'm going all Motul here pretty quick. 8100 5W40 in the engine, Gear 300 75W90 in the trans and rear diff. Read good reviews on it and although it's pricey, I figure my babe deserves to be pampered and well cared for.

After reading some of the other post I found, and with the information provided here, I probably will go with Amsoil products for the oil and trans. Cabin filter sounds like a good idea. Although the car was clearly a non-smoker and was well cared for, I figure the preventative maintenance will be beneficial in the long run. $100 for oil and filter is a little shocking but when you consider you can get 7-10k mileage it doesn't seem to steep. Between motor and trans its roughly $200 in oils.

Castrol oil(gold bottle), motul 300 in diff and motul 300 w/redline lightweight shockproof (60/40%) in transmission.

I don't think the 5eat is going to like that gear oil...I could be wrong though.

I used amsoil in our tribeca for the trans it works as well as the oem stuff and was a little cheaper here. I bought a whole case from an independent distributor.

Engine oil is a personal choice...as long as you are changing it regularly I don't believe the engine will care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Several people have recommended gear oil for your trans, but you have an auto, so don't do that. I tend to stick with OEM ATF when possible. AT's can be finicky with fluid sometimes. Plus the Subaru stuff isn't too bad on price. I can get them from my local dealer about 8.50 a quart.

As far as engine oil, I've had very good luck with good old Mobil 1. I use the high mileage since I'm over 80k. It's cheap and readily available at Walmart. I don't burn a drop of oil with it. I prefer to go that route and change every 3/3k (or whatever is the recommended for the 3.6) rather than going more expensive and stretching your interval.

Also, if you change your coolant, I would stick with the Subaru Super Coolant and the coolant additive. Subarus have had a bad history of leaking head gaskets. Their coolant is pretty specific. Others may work just fine, but I would feel better using the OEM. It lasts a long time so its easier to justify the dealership prices.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-fluid-change-216049.html?t=216049

Found this a few weeks ago.

Also, from AZP Installs:

"We've had very good results in blackstone lab results for Amsoil 5w30 signature in 7-10k intervals. Motul 5w30 X-Clean 8100 C3 for a more economical oil and good blackstone results in the 5-7k mile range.

Ones we would not suggest:

Mobil 1 5w30

Subaru Synthetic 5w30

Rotella is ok, but the only place local for us to get it is walmart. Call us a conspiracy theorist but Walmart seems to press manufacturers for mass market items, and I feel that when pressed these manufacturers will send them the products that just barely make the QC cutoff since it is being private labelled.

-mike"

Not suggest Mobil 1 or Subaru??? I'm aware the Amsoil and Motul may be better oils, but wondering what the science behind that is. They can't be that bad. Like I said earlier, I'm of the theory buy cheaper but still good oil, like Mobil 1, and change it on time.

Just get an analysis done every year or so that will tell you if the oil is of good quality. Oil choice is a hot button issue with some people and companies, whether the opinion is warranted is usually up to interpretation. Use what you feel comfortable using if it bothers you get the analysis done to put yourself at ease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not suggest Mobil 1 or Subaru??? I'm aware the Amsoil and Motul may be better oils, but wondering what the science behind that is. They can't be that bad. Like I said earlier, I'm of the theory buy cheaper but still good oil, like Mobil 1, and change it on time.

I meant to keep that part of the quote out. I feel like most oils are adequate for just daily driving. Ones like Motul and Amsoil I'm sure perform better when cars are driven hard. If I had to suggest one I would say Amsoil. I hear people say the name, all through out car brands. FLLegacy has a point. Try an oil, send a sample.

I don't have knowledge to support either side of the argument but when I purchased my BNR 20G turbo, he specifically pointed out that they would only honor the 1 year warranty if Mobil 1 was not used.

Again, I have no data or firsthand experience that I can offer to support or reject this. I'm just presenting it because it seemed odd to me. I ran Mobil 1 in my Mazdaspeed6 with no issues but once I installed the BNR, I've been with Amsoil.

Archived