LegacyGT.com

Engine Upgrade

So I have a 3 psi differential between my 3rd cylinder and the other 3, I need to get the problem fixed, and it was my understanding the entire engine needed to come out, does anyone have any recommendations of what to do to it as far as upgrades are concerned? I have 4000 to spend in total, So i figure 2000 to take the engine out and fix it, 2000 for fun. Thoughts? Thanks for the help guys and Gals!

wait...you have a 3psi difference on a Compression test on the #3 cylinder?

What is the overall compression of the cylinders.....they all will vary in pressure......about 5% is ok between cylinders......3psi is not above your 5% unless your only holding 10psi a cylinder, then I dont even know how you turn the engine over and you probably have a hole in your piston

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

3 psi???????

wait...you have a 3psi difference on a Compression test on the #3 cylinder?

What is the overall compression of the cylinders.....they all will vary in pressure......about 5% is ok between cylinders......3psi is not above your 5% unless your only holding 10psi a cylinder, then I dont even know how you turn the engine over and you probably have a hole in your piston

What they said. A 3psi difference on a compression test is nothing to worry about. Who said that you need to "get the problem fixed"??

thanks for the intel guys, I'm no good engine stuff, and new to this whole world, It was the Subaru dealership that said I should have it fixed, and also I'm running 16 mpg even though i drive like an old man.

My engine shakes when it idles even with 91 octane and sea foam additive, and the check engine light comes on and off intermittently, which in turn doesn't let me use cruise control... That being said, i've gone to get other tests from other people, and they are saying it has something to do with my o2 sensor, or a sticky valve...? If this were the case what would that entail as far as repairs go? that being said what could I do to upgrade this system instead of just replacing it oem? the ECU? maybe some other things? would any one be so kind as to let me know their estimated cost for these repairs?

I really appreciate the help... Thanks a lot!

the rough idle could be because of a vaccum leak, like a hose popped off somewhere around the intake manifold, get the computer read for the CEL codes, if we know what they are (and I think I do) it will help us more. could be time to change the spark plugs. we need to rule things out one at a time because a rough idle and bad mpg can result from a lot of different things.

P0301

P0303

-Cylinder one and Cylinder three Misfire

It says probable cause is...

A) Leaking or blocked injector

B) Ignition system malfunction affecting one cylinder

C) Engine mechanical condition

D) Valve adjustment needed

P0463

Fuel level sensor circuit high input

Probable cause...

A) Open or short circuit condition

B) Poor electrical connection

C) Faulty fuel level sensor

Also my right headlight flickers, and when i have my system turned up it appears to flicker to the heavy bass notes...

Any clue on what I should do next?

If so, any recommendations on how I should upgrade from oem when I am fixing these issues?

Thank you again for your help I really appreciate it!

Don't be so worried about upgrading. Just find a good mechanic, (not the stealership) and get it fixed.

Tell us where you live, may be someone can recommend somebuddy close to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived