LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

Infiniti doesn't exactly have a great reputation recently for build quality and reliability. I personally wouldn't buy a Dodge or Chevy but the SS and Charger would be solid choices over the Q50. Cadillac on the used market would be worth a look as well. I don't suppose you have considered a Genesis or Stinger?

40-50k isn't going to get you much in a MB or BMW.

Looking at a Stinger as well.. Just not sure how reliable 1st year Stinger (not just new model, new car entirely) will be, plus I keep hearing about horrible Kia dealers..

Also, read about a couple Stingers with just tunes blowing out OEM spark plugs.

Edited by hadvw
more info

I'd love a slightly used Tesla Model S P75D AWD, because I'm a total Elon fanboy. Seriously though, it checks all the boxes for me since I have another vehicle for long range and hauling. Edited by Cincy05LGT

I'd love a slightly used Tesla Model S P75D AWD, because I'm a total Elon fanboy. Seriously though, it checks all the boxes for me since I have another vehicle for long range and hauling.

I WOULD consider a P90D and up.. But they're out of my range.. Not really digging the Model 3 so far (put down $1k way back). I drive past the factory on my way to work :lol:

• I Donated
Looked at the SS - finding a reasonable '15+ (want the adjustable suspension) is hard. I've heard the 6EAT is so-so (again, need an auto - don't want to shift in rush hour) - drove a '14, but wanted a '15+. The lack of a folding rear seat was REALLY disappointing

My understanding is a TCM tune really wakes up the auto. With that said, I'm not giving up my manual. ;) Rolled over 11,000 miles on my SS a few days ago. Still loving it. Averaging about 15 mpg. Honestly, the lack of folding rear seat has barely been an issue for me. It has the center pass-through, and the trunk holds so much that you only need to use that for really long items. I took a 2-week road trip over Christmas -- loaded up with two suitcases, my laptop backpack, half a trunk of presents, skis and boots, two cases of the bottled water my wife likes, and a few other items I can't remember, and we still had room for my brother in the back seat the last day we were in NYC.

My understanding is a TCM tune really wakes up the auto. With that said, I'm not giving up my manual. ;)

Interesting - looks like Livernois now has an "aggressive+" TCM tune - one step further than their "aggressive" mode. If it could be had with AWD, sounds perfect :lol:

OTOH, first 2 links I found when searching "chevy ss tcm tune" were about cars where two separate tuners bricked the TCM during flashing, requiring replacement, Chevy warranty blacklisting, etc.... Not exactly what I want to hear :eek:

I would miss the fold down seats I use that feature quite a bit. The SS is interesting for sure but really there are some quirks like the seats that are head scratchers, and then the price...and sure a used one can be had much cheaper but that is only a good selling point if you never plan to get rid of it. At that price point there are many options, and 15 mpg WTH was Chevy thinking.

• I Donated
I would miss the fold down seats I use that feature quite a bit.

You probably wouldn't miss them, given the amount of trunk space.

sure a used one can be had much cheaper but that is only a good selling point if you never plan to get rid of it.

You really can't. 2014s with high miles are just getting down below $30k. It's rare to see 2015s below $35k, and low mileage 2016s and 2017s are still mostly $40k+.

At that price point there are many options, and 15 mpg WTH was Chevy thinking.

What other options with 400+ hp and four doors are there for $50k? The Stinger GT gets close for less, but no manual available.

As for 15 mpg, it's par for the course with a big V8. I have gotten higher on trips, but I like flooring it too much to get higher around town.

Dare I say Evo X? I know, I had one, and it was fun but that 5 speed was always too high in the rev range. That car can make power with simple mods though. If you are looking for a car that is stick and awd that can make power, that may be your only choice unless you go german - 340, S4. Possibly the new Jag XE (I think they come with a 6 speed not sure though).

You probably wouldn't miss them, given the amount of trunk space.

There are cars that meet the performance specs without the V8, which IMO is outdated and unnecessarily thirsty. Also unless that trunk will fit a stack of 2x4s and a 6ft folding table, I would definitely miss the folding seats. I don't always want to hook my trailer up to go to the hardware store.

The point not being the car doesn't have some features of other cars, the point being for the price they should be there. What do fold down seats cost, really?

There are cars that meet the performance specs without the V8, which IMO is outdated and unnecessarily thirsty. Also unless that trunk will fit a stack of 2x4s and a 6ft folding table, I would definitely miss the folding seats. I don't always want to hook my trailer up to go to the hardware store.

The point not being the car doesn't have some features of other cars, the point being for the price they should be there. What do fold down seats cost, really?

Sounds to me like your best option is to keep the LGT and get a beater pickup for those weekend trips to home depot...

• Moderators

Classifying a V8 as "outdated" and "thirsty" doesn't make sense in my opinion. The "outdated" part can be countered by also saying that they are a bit more simple and easier to fix than a boosted counter part. Also, "performance" is thirsty regardless of whether it comes in a larger v8 or a turbo / twin turbo 4/6cyl motor--you mash that right pedal and your gas mileage is gonna suck when you are pushing 400hp.

Turbo / boosted vehicles seem to be gaming the EPA tests a bit right now which makes them seem a less thirsty, but take them out into the real world and they are pretty similar it seems.

There was some talk about Kia and Hyundai not being able to shake their old stigma. I think they've shaken the stigma about being totally shitty and unreliable cars--they are building good value cars for the money that aren't going to leave you stranded. But damn, I hopped into my sister-in-law's 2016 Hyundai Tucson the other day and man that thing feels like a total pile of shit. No comparison to something like a Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• I Donated
There are cars that meet the performance specs without the V8, which IMO is outdated and unnecessarily thirsty.

I'm sure you can find a few turbo V6es with 415 hp. They're not going to be terribly reliable, though, or are going to require far more maintenance to stay reliable than my "outdated" pushrod V8. Check out the reliability ratings for the Taurus SHO. There is a reason Chevy smallblocks have been around forever: they are a tried and true method to make reliable power.

Also unless that trunk will fit a stack of 2x4s and a 6ft folding table, I would definitely miss the folding seats. I don't always want to hook my trailer up to go to the hardware store.

The folding seats aren't available on the SS because there is chassis bracing on the sides. The problem isn't cost, it's performance.

You're not going to be able to fit the 6' folding table (although I believe the 8' ones that fold in half will fit), but you will be able to fit a few 2x4s. I've done it before. More than a few and I borrow a truck.

Also, "performance" is thirsty regardless of whether it comes in a larger v8 or a turbo / twin turbo 4/6cyl motor--you mash that right pedal and your gas mileage is gonna suck when you are pushing 400hp.

Turbo / boosted vehicles seem to be gaming the EPA tests a bit right now which makes them seem a less thirsty, but take them out into the real world and they are pretty similar it seems.

A 400hp boosted engine requires more fuel at WOT than a 400hp NA motor does.

BarMan...completely true on gas mileage.

I can drive ever so gingerly in my hybrid and get 46 combined. But, if I drive it the way I normally drive, I get 34 combined.

Most of you have probably seen the top gear gas mileage test between a prius and an M3 around their track. The M3 did better.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

The couple I bought the GT from replaced it with a red RS3. Good looking car.

I really only wanted an Audi A3/A6 when it's Quattro AWD was longitudinally fore and aft symmetrical. The moment that changed to TVM engine and Quattro, it no longer held any charm.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• I Donated
I really only wanted an Audi A3/A6 when it's Quattro AWD was longitudinally fore and aft symmetrical. The moment that changed to TVM engine and Quattro, it no longer held any charm.

The A4 and A6 (and other series based on them, and A8) are still longitudinal, and still with Torsen diffs AFAIK. The A3 has always been transverse with a Haldex system.

Chevy smallblocks have been around forever: they are a tried and true method to make reliable power.

I am guessing you already know this, but the Gen III/IV (LSx) and Gen V (LTx) SBC are drastically different then Gen I/II SBC. The LSx Gen III engines were a clean sheet design, the only part they share with the prior generation was the rear main seal. The Gen IV and Gen V have both had significant technology upgrades from the original Gen III LSx motors.

Comparing current SBC with original SBC and is like try to equate the current FA/FB with the original EA Subaru boxer engine from the 60's.

• I Donated
I am guessing you already know this, but the Gen III/IV (LSx) and Gen V (LTx) SBC are drastically different then Gen I/II SBC. The LSx Gen III engines were a clean sheet design, the only part they share with the prior generation was the rear main seal. The Gen IV and Gen V have both had significant technology upgrades from the original Gen III LSx motors.

Comparing current SBC with original SBC and is like try to equate the current FA/FB with the original EA Subaru boxer engine from the 60's.

The LS may have been a clean-sheet design, but it shares the same architecture and (with the exception of EFI and of exotic dry-sump variants) same internal-to-block technology as the SBC has always had. The clean-sheet design was undertaken to update the architecture to take advantage of the new optimizations that have occurred as a result of CAD prototyping, not to blow up the old formula and start over.

The introduction of VVT, DI, and variable displacement in the LT series has resulted in significant reductions in reliability. One of the reasons I'm glad Holden was never able to update the Commodore platform from the LS series.

Edited by thefultonhow

The introduction of VVT, DI, and variable displacement in the LT series has resulted in significant reductions in reliability. One of the reasons I'm glad Holden was never able to update the Commodore platform from the LS series.

And how did that work out for them...

My point on the fuel economy seems lost, at full throttle all cars gas mileage suck, but at a cruise where most hours are logged on the road a 5.3 liter engine is still pumping in the same amount of air per revolution and has to match that with fuel. A 3.x L v6 is only moving that much air and subsequent fuel at atmospheric pressure. Chevy could have done a lot more with the platform to eek out another 10-15 mpg at a cruise without sacrificing WOT performance.

In a few years my next vehicle with be a 2017+ Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8. I've always loved them and I'll need a bigger vehicle for hockey bags and car seats.

I saw someone stomp on it getting on the highway over the weekend. Sounded awesome.