LegacyGT.com

4eat center diff bad?

I recently purchased a well cared for 93 turbo wagon.(I have a whole box of records from the original owner) The Motor seems very strong. The tranny also seems very strong, as it shifts well. It has had a tranny put in it though.

The issue I'm having is during slow right hand turns, mostly tight, I get a surging or binding in the car. It's super faint, but it's noticeable. Like it grabs, let's go, grabs etc. It does not chirp the tires or buck on u - turns. It also doesn't do anything weird when I shut it off. No lights on the dash. Just the power light for a second when I start the car.

I'm guessing something is starting to go bad. I changed the fluid recently. Seemed to somewhat help.

Could this be a duty c issue? Do 4eats have a viscous unit?

Thanks

Hello;

This issue has been covered many times on this forum. First of all check your tires, same manufacturer, size, and tread wear. The tranny uses clutch discs instead of the vicous unit, manual tranny only! I would have used a synthetic dextron II replacement, valvoline makes one, this could have helped a bit more. You can check the tranny computer for error messages. Look at the sticky at the top of the page and explore the website. Should be a FSM that you can download and I strongly urge you to do so, Steven.

Hello;

This issue has been covered many times on this forum. First of all check your tires, same manufacturer, size, and tread wear. The tranny uses clutch discs instead of the vicous unit, manual tranny only! I would have used a synthetic dextron II replacement, valvoline makes one, this could have helped a bit more. You can check the tranny computer for error messages. Look at the sticky at the top of the page and explore the website. Should be a FSM that you can download and I strongly urge you to do so, Steven.

First, I'm not a forum newb. I've been on many forums in my lifetime. I always search first. I've searched multiple times without a definitive answer to my question, hence my post.

Tires that were on there were even. I just replaced them with brand new tires. Tranny is currently being flushed with a few drain a refill procedures. If it continues, I planned on using a synthetic oil. Currently, there are no codes stored on the tcm.

Thanks for your help Steven.

Archived