LegacyGT.com

2019 Legacy fuel pump recall

How important is this fuel pump recall? How long can I wait before it needs to be replaced?

WRD20 - 19 Legacy & Outback 2.5L Fuel Pump Replacement

Type:*Recall

Service Campaign:*WRD20

NHTSA Campaign:*20V-218000

Open

Recall Date:*April 16, 2020

Description

The low pressure fuel pump may become inoperative in certain 2019 model year Ascent, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback vehicles.

Safety Risk

If the low pressure fuel pump becomes inoperative, the check engine warning light or malfunction indicator light may illuminate, and/or the engine may run rough. In the worst case, an inoperative fuel pump may result in the engine stalling without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

The answer to your first question lies in the last paragraph of your own post .

In answer to your second question - WHO KNOWS ??

If someone here can give you a definitive answer , then I am in awe .

And why on earth would you want to wait ??

SMH

George

I'd guess around 90%. I see a small sampling but most people do it because it's no cost to them. If you can't physically get to the dealership then that's one thing, but if you're able to drop it off they will provide you with a free loaner. It can be returned after hours when you pick up your car, at least that's how it worked for me. I handed in the keys to a clerk, she gave me my keys and I was on my way.

• 4 weeks later...
Mine just started acting up. Anything more than 1/2 throttle and it basically DIES! Have to keep driving it for a couple days because they can't squeeze me in for service until Thursday PM. Hope it does not totally crap out before then! They said tank has to be below 1/4 tank. Well, I have a full tank. Funny how the repair bulletin tells them how to get the fuel out safely. I guess they don't follow procedures... no surprise. I guess I'll be siphoning gas out Wed. night.

Got mine done about two weeks ago.

No issues since.

In and out in less than 2 hours (I was the first appt of the day).

Have them check to insure that they have the part in stock before booking .

Got mine done about two weeks ago.

No issues since.

In and out in less than 2 hours (I was the first appt of the day).

Have them check to insure that they have the part in stock before booking .

Service writer said "about an hour". And supposedly parts are available. I told her that I am taking time off from work to get this done and if for some reason the part isn't there, or anything else goes wrong, to let me know ASAP. We'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll pull the back seat out ahead of time to expedite this service.

Did you have to get the tank to 1/4 or below?

I had mine done, they said nothing about my fuel volume, but I brought it in with less than 1/3rd. The FSM says less than 2/3rds....my OPINION is that THEY should siphon your gas out, not expect you to do it. It took 4 hours but I had it in for a few things and they were slammed so I left it all day.

From the FSM:

25.Fuel Pump

A: REMOVAL

WARNING:

Place “NO OPEN FLAMES” signs near the working area.

CAUTION:

• Be careful not to spill fuel.

• Catch the fuel from the tubes using a container or cloth.

• If the fuel gauge indicates that two thirds or more of the fuel is remaining, be sure to drain fuel before

starting work to avoid the fuel to spill.

NOTE:

Fuel pump assembly consists of fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel level sensor.

1) Release the fuel pressure. <Ref. to FU(H6DO)-94, RELEASING OF FUEL PRESSURE, PROCEDURE,

Fuel.>

2) Drain fuel. <Ref. to FU(H6DO)-94, DRAINING FUEL (WITH SUBARU SELECT MONITOR), PROCEDURE,

Fuel.>

ETC…

2. DRAINING FUEL (WITH SUBARU SELECT MONITOR)

WARNING:

Place “NO OPEN FLAMES” signs near the working area.

CAUTION:

Be careful not to spill fuel.

NOTE:

• If the fuel pump cannot be driven, refer to the procedures for draining from the fuel filler hose. <Ref. to

FU(H6DO)-95, DRAINING FUEL (THROUGH THE FUEL FILLER HOSE), PROCEDURE, Fuel.>

• Be careful not to let the battery run-out.

• Be aware that the fuel may remain in the fuel tank after draining the fuel.

1) Release the fuel pressure. <Ref. to FU(H6DO)-94, RELEASING OF FUEL PRESSURE, PROCEDURE,

Fuel.>

2) Remove the clip (A) securing the fuel delivery tube.

3) Attach the ST to the fuel pipe assembly, and push the ST in the direction of arrow mark to disconnect the

fuel delivery tube (B).

ST 42099AE000 QUICK CONNECTOR RELEASE

So the special tool they use to drain it does not technically count as siphoning but yes...they need to drain the fuel.

"Fuel only needs to be drained if 2/3 full or higher"

You think those guys are draining the gas tank to replace the pump? I'm telling you, they will not siphon all or probably any gas out of the car to do the fuel pump. They may charge for it, but they aren't going through that trouble. The "special tool" in that description is only the quick disconnect tool for the lines.

FSM's say a lot of things, but are only followed by people who don't know what they're doing.

Edited by 08SpecB_DE

They may charge for it ...

It's a voluntary recall (a "campaign" in Subaru-speak). No charge.

FSM's say a lot of things, but are only followed by people who don't know what they're doing.
Hmmmmmm. Whom should we believe ... Subaru, or some anonymous guy on the Internet? The FSM is far from perfect, but it's the best reference available.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

"Fuel only needs to be drained if 2/3 full or higher"

I've never done one myself and I'm not a mechanic. The level of certainty you have seems to indicate that you are. I'm sure there are ways around following the manual exactly, but my point to the gentlemen who was told to "bring it in with a 1/4 tank" is that he should push back on the dealership and insist that they do whatever is necessary to complete the job based on the fact that it's a recall. There shouldn't be any stipulations.

Providing references to the FSM gives him ammunition for that conversation if nothing else. Personally I took out the (kid's) car seats and brought it in with a 1/3rd tank to make it easier for them because I had the runway to plan for that. But I didn't/ shouldn't have had to....

The tank access is in the interior under the rear seat. I have replaced a fuel pump on a car with a full tank, it is hard not to spill gasoline. Most people are going to complain with gasoline in the interior.

I disagree the service manual is followed by people who don't know what they are doing.

I've never done one myself and I'm not a mechanic. The level of certainty you have seems to indicate that you are. I'm sure there are ways around following the manual exactly, but my point to the gentlemen who was told to "bring it in with a 1/4 tank" is that he should push back on the dealership and insist that they do whatever is necessary to complete the job based on the fact that it's a recall. There shouldn't be any stipulations.

Providing references to the FSM gives him ammunition for that conversation if nothing else. Personally I took out the (kid's) car seats and brought it in with a 1/3rd tank to make it easier for them because I had the runway to plan for that. But I didn't/ shouldn't have had to....

You are right about the siphoning. I should not have had to do it. But it was worth while. I only had to wait 40 minutes and it the recall was done.