LegacyGT.com

Multiple Head Gasket Repairs...Thoughts?

Hi all,

I couldn't find a thread for this, but let me know if I should be posting elsewhere.

I bought my 2005 Legacy Sedan used in 2016 at around 180,000 miles.

In the last two years, I've replaced the head gaskets in the engine twice due to leaks. The first repair was done at a general automotive repair shop in town. The second time I took it to a legitimate, authorized Subaru dealership and service center. I also had all of the engine seals re-done along with the head gasket. This was February 2018.

Today (January 2020), I just took my car in for regular maintenance and was told there are leaks on my head gaskets again. I've probably only put in about 20,000-25,000 miles into the car since that previous head gasket replacement. I'm feeling pretty discouraged at this point and am wondering why this is happening again.

Any thoughts on this? Is it worth maintaining this vehicle and going through another head gasket replacement? Is this normal for the 2005 Legacy model? I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Much thanks, and happy new year!

Have you had the engine overheat in that time period? Are they sure it's not a leaking valve cover gasket?

I've seen people overheat their subaru's and get head gasket leaks after due to warping stuff. Really any vehicle with aluminum heads seems to do this from the way I hear it told. But otherwise, that seems abnormal.

Drove my 08 2.5i with a leaking head gasket for a year, then pulled the motor and put OEM MLS subie gaskets on myself and never had a problem. I thinks it might be time for true Subaru performance shop to look it over. It could be simple or short block time.

Are they pulling the motor to do the gaskets? I have always been token the it the true way to do it or you will be having issues 30K or sooner down the road.

Not normal but if you do it again definitely have the surfaces checked. HBolts are also single use stretch to torque type but I know a lot of dealers reuse them. Arguments can be made for both cases but for a few $$ it's worth it.