LegacyGT.com

Turn signals/hazards not working after pulling hazard unit

Hey folks, I have a 1998 Legacy Outback. 2.5L, 5 speed manual, 260K miles.

The other night I pulled the center console, heat/ac unit, radio, and hazards/center air vents to clean them. 20 years of grime meant the buttons all stuck and I couldn't change heat/ac settings (sometimes you just need more than defrost, you know?)

Anyways, I pulled it all apart, even fully disassembling the heat/ac control for a thorough cleaning. It was GROSS.

Got everything back together just fine, got in the car and drove off. The buttons work wonderfully now!

But now my turn signals don't work, and neither do my hazards.

I've checked fuses, none blown. I checked the connection, no dust or debris. I even pulled the hazard unit (from center dash) apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and reassembled. Still no turn signals or hazards.

Is it possible that something shorted while I got this back together? It had all dried overnight, so the possibility of water was low.

I guess I'm asking if you all think my flasher relay (under dash) just happened to go out at the same time as this small overhaul, or if I should suspect the flasher (center console) unit. If it was bad, would the rest of it not work? It all worked fine yesterday.

Any help appreciated!

Or when you plugged it back did one or more pins bind up and push out the back of the housing so they aren't connected when you think they are?

I've heard that connector problems are fairly common with the climate control right where you were working...

I got bored waiting for responses, so I pulled it all apart again! One of the pins was bent on the back of the hazard button, so it wasn't connecting fully, AND I hadn't plugged the turn signal flasher all the way back in. Let me tell you how silly I felt when I came out of a NAPA with a new flasher unit to compare sizes only to realize the old one wasn't plugged in. Had to make up a quick excuse when I walked back in to let them know I didn't need it.:lol:

Thanks for the replies folks!

Archived