LegacyGT.com

Radiator fans kicking on in the cold

My radiator fans are kicking on during the cooler Fall nights, and shortly after starting too. I noticed they were coming on in the dead of Winter last year too... when the engine wasn't even fully warmed up yet either. I am led immediately to suspecting the ECTS. Looking for "I second that" and so forth. What else could/would be implicated? Also, this is with the AC completely turned off obviously. And one last data point -- my radiator fans would not even kick on during Summer unless I turned the AC on. Nother clue that lends credence to my first supposition. Thanks in advance for your input.

Use a scantool with live data ability to see what the sensor is saying about temps. The dash guage lies. It basically only shows totally "cold", and "shut it off now".

Also, was the defroster on at all in the cold when the fans were on? The defroster runs the AC on our cars to reduce humidity in the vent stream.

Some time ago I was having a no fan when warmer condition but with fan during AC. It turned out to be the fuse for the level one fan blown, but the level two fuse was ok. (Each of the two fans has a low and high stage.)

Archived