LegacyGT.com

Did approach lighting replace puddle lights from last gen?

I noticed the last gen had neat puddles in the rocker panel...

Was this concept revised to what we are now calling approach lighting in the auto-dimming side-view mirrors or is still a feature?

In googling most of the literature refers to approach lighting but figured I'd ask since the last gen puddles looked slick

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

The mirror lights and puddle lights under the front doors replaced it.

It would be fairly easy to add if you like it and wanted it on your car. Since the approach lights mostly light up the door handle, I've thought about getting waterproof LED strips to mount underneath like ground effects/underglow and tie into the approach lights for power so they don't run all the time and attract cops. Would look sick and light up the ground nicely at night.

The mirror lights and puddle lights under the front doors replaced it.

It would be fairly easy to add if you like it and wanted it on your car. Since the approach lights mostly light up the door handle, I've thought about getting waterproof LED strips to mount underneath like ground effects/underglow and tie into the approach lights for power so they don't run all the time and attract cops. Would look sick and light up the ground nicely at night.

Did you replace your puddle lights yet andrew? You might not need to even add lights, my puddle lights really light up the floor.... in blue lol

I have a custom made puddle from my last car, lights looks awesome. Basically go to superbrightleds.com buy some led strips by the foot. I did two four foot sections. Then I bought plastic led light channels form environmentallights.com with the diffuser. Insert the led strip into a four foot section of channel. add a waterproof sealer on the ends then mount under the car. My local cartronics guy then wired them to come on when the vehicle is unlocked and go off when locked looks awesome way better the. 5th gen puddle lights. The diffuser in the channel casts a really nice even glow, no led spots on the ground. Looked awesome on my other car. I haven't had a chance to put them on my legacy yet. But will be soon. Doesn't look rice either imo.

Did you replace your puddle lights yet andrew? You might not need to even add lights, my puddle lights really light up the floor.... in blue lol

I put these crazy freaking bright ones in them: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D833REM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00]Amazon.com: Super Bright 18 White SMD LED Car Reading Light w T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter: Automotive[/ame]

You should see these things, I originally got them for the dome lights but I went blind every time they turned on lol. I only paid $6 a piece back in March they're a little more expensive now but still well worth it imo.

By no means do I NEED more light I just WANT more LEDs:lol: plus it looks cool.

Is approach lighting standard on the limited or is it add on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I do not believe so, if you are referring to the light that shines directly from the mirror. I have a 2016 limited, with package #23. I do have BSD, but I do not have the approach lighting feature on either mirror.

I believe the Approach Lighting comes with the Auto-Dimming side mirrors. I had the auto-dimming mirrors added after I bought the car and although the original mirrors had the BSD, they did not have the lights.

^ I have auto-dimming side mirrors with BSD, but unfortunately I do not have the Approach Lighting feature. It is not a huge deal for me, since the interior lights up as I approach the vehicle. I cannot lie and say it wouldn't be a cool feature to have though.

^ I have auto-dimming side mirrors with BSD, but unfortunately I do not have the Approach Lighting feature. It is not a huge deal for me, since the interior lights up as I approach the vehicle. I cannot lie and say it wouldn't be a cool feature to have though.

You should be able to pull the mirror and ensure all the harnesses are clipped...

AFAIK if you have AD side mirrors then they should have approach

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

You should be able to pull the mirror and ensure all the harnesses are clipped...

AFAIK if you have AD side mirrors then they should have approach

Lol. AFAIK, which I know for sure, my 2016 Limited does not come with approach lighting BUT I do have Auto-Dimming mirrors.

As Rob mentioned above ^, you can tell whether the Approach Lighting feature is available by the Subaru logo in the top corner of the mirror. Which I do not have on either mirror, but I do have Auto-Dimming.

... you can tell whether the Approach Lighting feature is available by the Subaru logo in the top corner of the mirror. Which I do not have on either mirror, but I do have Auto-Dimming.

Are your side mirrors auto-dimming, or is it only the inside mirror? Approach lighting is paired with auto-dimming side mirrors.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know the replacement bulb type for the rocker panel puddle lights (under the car)? I have a 2010 LGT limited, and have been looking for a replacement.

Do you mean the ones under each front door, or the accessory kit that actually mounts to the rocker panels? The doors are 194/168's.

Do you mean the ones under each front door, or the accessory kit that actually mounts to the rocker panels? The doors are 194/168's.

No the four lights located under the car along the frame. Not the ones that are under the rear view mirrors.

No the four lights located under the car along the frame. Not the ones that are under the rear view mirrors.

I believe those were LEDs but don't take my word for it. Your question would best be directed to the 5th gen forum based on your year.

Our 6th gen 2015+ cars have an LED in the mirror (if they have approach lighting) and a standard wedge bulb at the bottom of the door panel as a puddle light.

Archived