LegacyGT.com

Upgrading speakers on premium trim

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2.5i have aftermarket speakers professionally installed. So happy to have upgraded the speakers (4x 6x6 door speakers + 2 tweeters). Sound is so much better. The installers pushed on installing an amp. However, the stock head unit powered the new speakers sufficiently.

They did not seem to have any difficulty installing it. They ended up modifying the stock front speaker brace instead of using new ones. One of the installer said the install procedure was similar to the previous gen. I would recommend looking into getting 6x9s for the front thou. The front door panels are big enough for 6x9s but the depth is questionable.

The stock 4 door speakers in the 2.5i has paper cone, no weight and it indeed sounded like crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I put JBL GT7-6C's in the front and JBL GT7-6's in the rear of my outback. Made a world of difference. The JBL Tweeters are running off of the crossover -(as are the door woofers) I think that is important as well.

My wife has Polk DB651's in her 2012 Legacy Premium... I think mine sound way better. I think the head unit might be better.

These are just 6.5" speakers, there were Metra adaptors that came from Crutchfield that fit fine. I had to make my own brackets for the tweeters, and run wiring for the crossovers...

A) 1 x 80mm high-efficiency wide dispersion midrange speaker

1 Unit with 1 Speaker = 1

B) 2 x 80mm midrange speaker with 16mm tweeter unity extended bandwith speaker

2 Units with 2 Speakers= 4

C) 3 x 7 x 10 inch high-efficiency midwoofer in enclosure

3 Units with 1 Speaker= 3

D) 2 x 170mm Coaxial high-efficiency midwoofer with 25mm tweeter

2 Units with 2 Speakers= 4

that equals 12 Speaker System

E) 1 x 8-channel high-efficiency GreenEdge amplifier WOW 8 CHANNELS

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Guest rayms69
My 03 cobra had a killer stereo and speakers, not enough low end. I had circuit city install a 12" sub Kenwood box in the trunk, problem solved. I wonder how much power the amp supplies the rear deck baby woofer, if it was enough to drive a real subwoofer.

I can guarantee it won't drive a stand alone sub bigger than 6" max.

Speaker efficiency has no inherent relation to cone size.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I hear ya. I just want something clean and clear at any volume. I have the lowest of low legacy's on the totem pole. It's not bad but anything over 15 distorts and degrades exponentially. I like to feel my music. I want to hear the guitar pick hitting the strings. Which I know I won't get until there's a better compression system for music or a run tubes. But I think some focal components and a rainbow sub will do the trick.

• 3 months later...
I put JBL GT7-6C's in the front and JBL GT7-6's in the rear of my outback. Made a world of difference. The JBL Tweeters are running off of the crossover -(as are the door woofers) I think that is important as well.

My wife has Polk DB651's in her 2012 Legacy Premium... I think mine sound way better. I think the head unit might be better.

These are just 6.5" speakers, there were Metra adaptors that came from Crutchfield that fit fine. I had to make my own brackets for the tweeters, and run wiring for the crossovers...

Any recomendations on how to remove the door panels?

• 3 months later...
Any recomendations on how to remove the door panels?

Just pull em off!

I have some trim removal tools. Insert between steel door frame and the trim panel. I usually started near the corner, wherever I could get the trim tool to finally wedge in. It takes a bit of work the first time. Sometimes you need a small trim tool to get enough of a gap to get a larger one in...

Just wiggle and pry with the trim tool near one of the clips until it pulls out. Then move to the next clip and repeat. The trim panel then lifts up - its hanging up by the window. There will be several electrical connectors, such as the front door corners for the little lightts, for the switches, etc...

Archived