LegacyGT.com

2019 Legacy 3.6R

I've had 4th gen Legacy for about 10 yrs and sold it some time ago...I am eyeing potential purchase of a 2019 Legacy 3.6R and I'd like to hear some experiences from current owners...any big issues to expect? I'd like to get boxer-6 before they forever disappear.

I have the 2018 version which is literally the same vehicle. It’s not a rocket ship but it’s adequate with acceleration. After fixing my nightmare radio issues I now really love my car. Yes I wish I had the 2020 but I got such a great deal it was worth it. The eyesight system is pretty good and the safety features are good, especially the blind spot system.

I would suggest getting a set of winter tires as the stock all seasons are not too good compared to most other available types.

My radio literally failed and was replaced under warranty

You're not alone. My radio/head unit died in phases. First, the touch screen became finicky, then XM went out showing "NO SIGNAL", followed by bluetooth. It was replaced under warranty at around 10k, including a new XM antenna, and I've been problem-free since.

The biggest issue was finding a dealer who would replace the head unit. My local dealer said I needed to pay my XM bill and troubleshoot bluetooth issues with my cellular provider. No amount of pleading would get them to understand that the radio should always tune the preview channel.

Well I went for a test drive today. Love how smooth the 6-cyl is. CVT seems ok nothing to be excited about though.

I was surprised to see some lousy fit and finish on the 3.6 limited model...I currently driving mk7 VW GTI and all plastic and upholstery bits and pieces in GTI are tighter and better put together...

They're asking $31,300 for it...I'd be willing to offer $30k tops, as it's been sitting in their showroom for at least 6 months and new ones starting to come in. Seems like a solid car overall.

They're asking $31,300 for it...I'd be willing to offer $30k tops, as it's been sitting in their showroom for at least 6 months and new ones starting to come in. Seems like a solid car overall.

I'm not sure if there is any legit comparison between the car market in USA and here in Australia, but the car market over here is very flat at the moment, and a $1300 reduction off list price would seem to me to be on the small side, especially on a car that has been sitting on the showroom floor for 6 months. $30K wouldn't be my "starting point" for negotiations.

Whilst the following video clip is obviously aimed at Aussie car buyers, I think the basic rules depicted for getting the best deal at a dealership apply everywhere.

Cobi,

I have a 2019 3.6 with about 7,000 miles. The car has been excellent. While I was very concerned about the cvt, the 3.6 meshes very well with the cvt. The car has spirited acceleration but not that of a sports car. The fit and finish has exceeded my expectations. No rattles have occurred so far.

The car is simple to operate. The headlights are clear and bright. The radio has a crisp and enveloping tonal quality. One little known feature is a keypad that allows one to lock the keys in the car when going to the beach or a hike.

In summary, I would recommend the 3.6 engine. I never even tried the 4 cylinder for a test drive due to my preference for smooth linear power. Enjoy your ultimate purchase—-whatever it might be.

You're getting taken for a ride. That car is going down in value by the day. Financing will also be different since it's not the current model year.

Consider asking the dealer to match these prices.

Legacy H6 Package 21 -- Base Model -- $26,391

Legacy H6 Package 24 -- With options -- $28,652

Package 24 is the only option package available for an H6 and includes:

Moonroof + Navigation System + Reverse Automatic braking + High Beam Assist + LED Steering Responsive Headlights

I bought a 2019 3.6R back in December. It was more expensive then and I paid retail for a ridiculous trade on my existing car so it likely washed out to around 3k off...either way the important part is I love it and I'm glad I bought it. It has 16500 mi on it now and it's been flawless. My GF had a WRX, had some issues and the dealership lent her a 2.5 model. It was gutless and the fit and finish were incredibly cheap. By comparison the 3.6R is much better in both power and finish.

The one area I personally didn't like was the handling, but I'm an aggressive driver. So for about 250 bucks total I upgraded the rear sway bar and added a strut bar. For me it was just what I needed.... You might be fine stock. I hear the 4th generation was a little tighter than the 6th generation, so that might be relevant to you.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

... the dealership lent her a 2.5 model. It was gutless and the fit and finish were incredibly cheap. By comparison the 3.6R is much better in both power and finish.

Concerning fit and finish: The 2.5 and 3.6 vehicles are both built on the same production line, by the same people, using the same interior and body parts.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You're getting taken for a ride. That car is going down in value by the day. Financing will also be different since it's not the current model year.

Consider asking the dealer to match these prices.

Legacy H6 Package 21 -- Base Model -- $26,391

Legacy H6 Package 24 -- With options -- $28,652

Package 24 is the only option package available for an H6 and includes:

Moonroof + Navigation System + Reverse Automatic braking + High Beam Assist + LED Steering Responsive Headlights

I agree, it's a bit overpriced, it does have pckg. 24...did I say it has been sitting on their lot for a while. Photos they have on the site show the car with the snow in the background lol.

Yesterday before the test drive, they had to jump start it since the battery went due to prolonged "inactivity".

They offer 0% - 3yr, 0.9% - 4yr, 1.9% for 5 and 6yrs. I would most likely finance the difference between trade-in and downpayment for 3 yrs at 0%.

Thanks for those links, I'll forward to them and see what they say.

Concerning fit and finish: The 2.5 and 3.6 vehicles are both built on the same production line, by the same people, using the same body parts.
Have you been in both? We have and the 3.6Rs come in the top of the line trim, limited. The premium and sport trims are not nearly as nice as the cabin in the limited. If he meant how the body panels fit together then clearly you're right, it's all the same.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Have you been in both?

Yes, I have. In Limited trim, the interior and exterior "finish" of the 2.5 and 3.6 variants are identical; only the drive train is different.

The premium and sport trims are not nearly as nice as the cabin in the limited.
I was responding to your post about "fit and finish," not trim levels. "Nicer" trim is a matter of individual preference. My wife and I actually preferred Premium trim.

If he meant how the body panels fit together ...
He? I was responding to your post:

... the fit and finish were incredibly cheap.
Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I love my '19 3.6R, white with black interior. Perfect combination of performance and utility. It's also a great looking car. No real problems, although it was delivered with a couple small dents in the door. Dent Doctor at the dealer took care of that. I'm 99% satisfied with my decision to buy it.

The only thing I do not like is that it has no "Oil life monitor", which based on type of driving, time, and mileage will tell you when to change the oil. The last two cars I had (Ford Fusions) had this feature. I was rather surprised that Subaru does not offer this feature.

I love my '19 3.6R, white with black interior. Perfect combination of performance and utility. It's also a great looking car. No real problems, although it was delivered with a couple small dents in the door. Dent Doctor at the dealer took care of that. I'm 99% satisfied with my decision to buy it.

The only thing I do not like is that it has no "Oil life monitor", which based on type of driving, time, and mileage will tell you when to change the oil. The last two cars I had (Ford Fusions) had this feature. I was rather surprised that Subaru does not offer this feature.

In the service section in the star link options you can add maintenance periods that will pop up when you hit a certain date or mileage. I’ve been using it for oil changes and it’s really convenient!

In the service section in the star link options you can add maintenance periods that will pop up when you hit a certain date or mileage. I’ve been using it for oil changes and it’s really convenient!

Yeah but that is just going to give you the required mileage of 6,000 for the oil/filter changes. If you ran synthetic oil, and took fairly long trips (over 20 miles all at once) you could go 10,000-12,000 miles on the Ford until it tells you to change it. And that oil change interval still keeps your warranty intact. It would be nice (and save me money) if all auto makers used that system.

I've owned my 2015 3.6R since new. I thoroughly tested limited trims with both engines before ordering my car. The smoothness of the six ultimately won me over. I still enjoy driving this car every time I'm get behind the wheel.

I have had zero mechanical/electronic issues in almost 5 years. I am on battery #3 but the dealer has replaced the batteries at no cost. I would highly recommend this car!