LegacyGT.com

Intermittent cough

I'm thinking i've got a something fuel related going bad on me. Have an intermittent loss of power while cruising (haven't noticed a speed or rpm pattern). Hasn't done it under load.

Car seems to lose all power for a brief second then returns to normal operation. Anyone else have a similar issue or ideas as to what might be causing this?

No, steady throttle position and for no apparent reason the car stumbles. RPM and power drops off momentarily, before returning as if nothing happened. Has happened cruising at 30, 40, 45, and 55 mph.

I had this happening to me right before a coil pack went out. possibly not the issue but can be easily checked if you have an AP... just log cyl roughness (misfires) for each cylinder and if you see anything over 2 you've likely found your issue. swapping coils with another cylinder to see if it follows will make it definite.

Mine is doing something sort of similar to this. First noticed it Jan of 2018 when driving in 6th gear, cruise control set at 70something. Sudden kick, that's it. Extremely brief loss of power, so quick RPMs don't drop, MPG gauge doesn't change. It was so quick and so weird I just let it go. Later on in that trip (6 hour highway trip), same thing happened. Also in cruise. Thought it may be cruise control related so I stopped using it.

Since then, I have replaced spark plugs, cleaned fuel injectors, cleaned throttle body, changed fluids, all kinds of preventative maintenance.

Sort of forgot about it until this winter, and it seems to do it more frequently. Usually only when snowing (fine in rain), but I still haven't been able to notice a pattern. Car is usually warmed up, no pattern with certain RPMs, certain gears, certain temps, certain throttling. Kinda weird but I'm just waiting to see what happens moving forward because I know if I take it in to the shop, there's no way they'll be able to get the car to do that and they'll think I'm crazy.

Does this sound similar? A sudden "jolt", or kick? The only thing I have noticed is it's always when in gear and under some sort of acceleration, never coasting in gear.

Mine is doing something sort of similar to this. First noticed it Jan of 2018 when driving in 6th gear, cruise control set at 70something. Sudden kick, that's it. Extremely brief loss of power, so quick RPMs don't drop, MPG gauge doesn't change. It was so quick and so weird I just let it go. Later on in that trip (6 hour highway trip), same thing happened. Also in cruise. Thought it may be cruise control related so I stopped using it.

Since then, I have replaced spark plugs, cleaned fuel injectors, cleaned throttle body, changed fluids, all kinds of preventative maintenance.

Sort of forgot about it until this winter, and it seems to do it more frequently. Usually only when snowing (fine in rain), but I still haven't been able to notice a pattern. Car is usually warmed up, no pattern with certain RPMs, certain gears, certain temps, certain throttling. Kinda weird but I'm just waiting to see what happens moving forward because I know if I take it in to the shop, there's no way they'll be able to get the car to do that and they'll think I'm crazy.

Does this sound similar? A sudden "jolt", or kick? The only thing I have noticed is it's always when in gear and under some sort of acceleration, never coasting in gear.

It could be a coil. You probably don't have the ability to log the cylinder roughness or misfires for your 2.5i to confirm the issue. It will eventually get worse and set code.

It could be a coil. You probably don't have the ability to log the cylinder roughness or misfires for your 2.5i to confirm the issue. It will eventually get worse and set code.

Interesting. I do not have that ability. I appreciate the insight!

Interesting. I do not have that ability. I appreciate the insight!

get yourself a $15 bluetooth OBDII reader and the torque app, should be able to at least read the misfires even if you can't log them. but what your describing is the exact way i described my issue when my coil pack was dieing. a visual inspection can be done also, they tend to get rusty and the plates spread away from each other when they are going bad at least in my experience.

Archived