LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7 Tablet Install for Dummies (Guide)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I use an OBD2 to usb to run to the tablet and use btssm? I wanted to keep this on a budget and $150 for the tactrix cable isn’t in it.

Yes, there are specific $15 cables you can get to USB to an OTG cable to the tablet. I need to go see if I can find the one I have. Or someone else may chime in before I find it.

Yes, there are specific $15 cables you can get to USB to an OTG cable to the tablet. I need to go see if I can find the one I have. Or someone else may chime in before I find it.

I emailed btssm.com (heiche) to see if he still has/makes the KKL cables with OTG adapter. Wanna keep it as cheap as possible but would rather support the community if it’s a matter of a few $ difference. If you can find out where you got yours in case he doesn’t get back to me I’d appreciate it. I was looking on google and eBay and they have the vagcom KKL OBD2 to USB for like $7 and the OTG adapter for like $3-5. Curious if these will work if he doesn’t get back to me

I used to use the N7 in my LGT for logging and real-time gauges with BtSsm.

Things I used in my install:

• Nexus 7 2013 Tablet
  • 4-port USB hub
  • Tactrix OpenPort 2 (I also opensource tune my car, so I already had it)
  • RS232-USB serial converter for my wideband O2 (could also just get it from ECU but wanted the digital connection offered by my Innovate LC-1 and BtSsm)

Besides that, the install is the same as all of your other media nexus7 installs (modified kernel to allow USB-OTG charging, and a USB-OTG charge/data y-cable).

Shameless plug: I'm selling the JDM double-DIN vent/nav bezel from my LGT since it's been sitting for over a year now.

Thanks for your reply

So if i just need it to for bluthooth audio gps and usb connect

All what i need is

Tablet itself

Usb hub

Memory stick

How can i connect the speakers with the tablet then

Thanks for your reply

All what i need is

Tablet itself

Usb hub

Memory stick

I bought my car with a Parrot Mki9100. The previous owner used that to connect the tablet to car stereo via bluetooth

Thanks for your reply

All what i need is

Tablet itself

Usb hub

Memory stick

Behringer UCA202 is my USB sound card. I used the factory AUX in, which my LGT had since it was '07+.

All of this stuff has been covered in this thread and the other main thread here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tablet-pc-carputeri-149420.html

Read through them and try searching the forums on google using the "site:legacygt.com" modifier. Everything you want to know has already been covered in pretty extensive detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 2013 nexus7 last wk, the vag Kkl cable and otg adapter. Looking to do this in the next day.

Can anyone give a little help (maybe a how to vid somewhere online) with the Rom I need to flash (Timur rom I believe or somthn better if there is that anyone knows of) and any other bits of info, gesture apps for easy use etc that may be nice?

Only using for btssm (maybe nav and possible backup cam in the future)

Thanks

Edited by Wooosh

I like the gmd gesture app. Paid app but worth it. Even better if you can get the steering wheel buttons to communicate with the app. btssm opens up literally at your finger tips :spin:

I think I used a usb device called joycon exr.

I like the gmd gesture app. Paid app but worth it. Even better if you can get the steering wheel buttons to communicate with the app. btssm opens up literally at your finger tips :spin:

I think I used a usb device called joycon exr.

Thanks for the info. Do I need a specific Rom and if so do you know where I get it to run btssm in the vehicle or will it work on the rom that comes on the tablet? I want to make sure that’s all done and flashed before I start buying apps and setting it up for the car

And please excuse. I’m a caveman with this stuff

BtSsm should not have any issue running on any Timur ROMS. I think Timur made his latest ROM available to the public. I have it on one of my tablets and it is stable.

Here you should have all the info. Carefully study the steps and take your time.

BtSsm should not have any issue running on any Timur ROMS. I think Timur made his latest ROM available to the public. I have it on one of my tablets and it is stable.

Here you should have all the info. Carefully study the steps and take your time.

Thanks so much

One last set of questions for you. I have figured out a very nice, clean way of mounting this without having permanence in the car. I can take it out and reinstall at the flip of a wrist basically. If I have access to my sleep/power buttons can I run btssm without any issues on the stock Rom? Is the Timur Rom necessary to run btssm or does it just give more convenience when the tablet is in a permanent state in the JDM cubby?

No. Timur ROM is not necessary to run BtSsm. If you use the stock ROM, you will then have to make sure you use a charging cable which the tablet will be happy with (i.e. read fast charge). Also, you'd have to root the tablet if you want gmd gesture to work.

No. Timur ROM is not necessary to run BtSsm. If you use the stock ROM, you will then have to make sure you use a charging cable which the tablet will be happy with (i.e. read fast charge). Also, you'd have to root the tablet if you want gmd gesture to work.

Ok cool. My plans as of now are to do that n run the stock Rom and save my old caveman ass alotta headache [emoji23]. I will have a charging cable accessible to it wenever necessary. It will only be for btssm so the gesture apps aren’t necessary either. I already have the JDM double din and HVAC setup with all entertainment amenities in it so this will be perfect

Awesome. Thanks a lot XT2005bonbon. I appreciate it

Edited by Wooosh

Just make sure it is a genuine Asus cable and/or a thick gauge cable. Or else, it'll charge slow and still deplete the battery as you are using it. You have the bluetooth dongle right?

It’s a brand new tablet and came with all the accessories (including charger). It will b removable from the car so I can charge it in home wenever necessary as well. My car doesn’t get road tripped or even driven any more than 50mi or so on any given day so I don’t think I’ll ever and if I do it’ll be rare that I have to worry about charging it

I’ll be using the vag Kkl adapter not the BT dongle

Ah, if you use a vag com cable, then you need OTG capability as far as I know, which also implies that the tablet needs to be rooted. Others may correct me if I am wrong.

So the stock Rom doesn’t have otg capability? I have the Kkl to usb and then the otg adapter. Maybe I’ll buck up

on the Bluetooth dongle n make my life easy

I don't think so. But you could always root your tablet while still using the stock ROM. Will require following some steps, bla bla, etc...

Ok. Maybe I’ll just buck up for the BT dongle.

That will work no problems, no rooting etc with stock Rom?

It’ll make it even nicer aesthetically anyway the way I’m putting it in the car

Thanks again man