LegacyGT.com

Occasional no start with an odd issue

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and resolved it. I searched and couldn't find any account though.

So on the occasion on my 08 Spec B I go to turn the key after opening the car everything goes completely dead. No power to absolutely anything.

The first time I opened the fuse box under the hood to check fuses and relays and I hear the car "chirp" back on, I can use the remote right away and everything is completely reset, it takes a few tries to start but she cranks right over right away. I reset my radio presets and fix up the clock in the navi screen and go.

2 or 3 weeks later fast forward to last night, it does the same thing. I open the hood and hit the side of the fuse box open the cover and close it again and it fixes the issue. No change since then. It runs absolutely fine!

There's a ton of connections in there and somewhere under the box the issue lies...

If anyone has had this before and can point me in the right direction before I go shooting in the dark it would be very much appreciated!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

• I Donated Too

I have had this same issue, on BOTH my 2005 GT's

- Not saying it's same thing for you but I can tell you that's exactly what happened to me, car was dead like battery had been removed. Drove me insane on my sedan as it happened three times before I figured it out and then happened on the Wagon and I was like, here we go again - quickly solved on both cars and has never reoccurred.

What I think is the problem is the battery posts are either getting smaller to 'save money' for the manufacturer or it was that type of battery where the posts just aren't big enough. I bought lead slide over caps for the sedan at first and later just put on much nicer, brand new battery clamps. There was just not enough 'clamp' in the original battery clamps or they had just had it, whatever - but it was that on both cars.

I think best way is to get much nicer battery clamps and be done but a quick fix are the slip over covers to act as a shim.

Hope that's it... good luck!

I'll also vote for battery to alternator, battery to starter, battery to main fuse and main battery grounds as being the culprit(s). Neither the cables nor the terminals will last forever. In general, an 05 has terminals and cables that are going on 16 years old (2004 build dates). Unfortunately you can't really find the OEM cables anymore. When I replaced mine in August 2019 there was only 1 positive cable assembly left in the entire country.

I bought custom cables from CE Auto Electric to replace all of mine. Here is what I bought to replace them all. You'll have to also buy new battery terminals (I purchased OEM subaru for the positive and OEM toyota for the negative-the toyota is same style as positive with bolt-on connection).

**Note: I did have to grind a few terminal ends and drill out a couple holes to fit over the bolts, etc but it wasn't much and was simple. The wiring to the alternator is also large enough that the plastic cover didn't snap shut so I zip tied it. You could probably make due with a smaller cable.

Type A Cable Assembly - 2 AWG

Cable Configuration:

5/16 straight eyelet with black HS, 36 inches black 2 AWG cable, black HS and 3/8 straight eyelet at 90deg CW

Cable Length:

Type A Cable Assembly - 6 AWG

Cable Configuration:

5/16 straight eyelet with black HS, 26 inches black 6 AWG cable, black HS and 1/4 straight eyelet at 90deg CCW

Cable Length:

Type A Cable Assembly - 2 AWG

Cable Configuration:

3/8 straight eyelet with red HS, 24 inches red 2 AWG cable, red HS and 5/16 90deg eyelet at 180deg

Cable Length:

Type A Cable Assembly - 4 AWG

Cable Configuration:

1/4 straight eyelet with red HS, 30 inches red 4 AWG cable, red HS and 5/16 straight eyelet at 180deg

Cable Length:

Type A Cable Assembly - 8 AWG

Cable Configuration:

1/4 straight eyelet with red HS, 14 inches red 8 AWG cable, red HS and 5/16 90deg eyelet at 180deg

Cable Length:

Edited by rhino6303

Thanks for the replies!

Speaking of battery terminals, they are good and tight. I did have an issue with one a while back but I got it solved. Like I mentioned it really seems like it's in the main fuse box.

I have noticed on other friends cars, yes battery terminal posts do seem to be getting smaller and there has been multiple instances I've seen with either a screw or there is a washer bent around the terminal.

I'll try and stop into my dealership this morning (if I can get in the door) and see what I can get to replace the terminals. The trick to use a Toyota one is a great idea!

I may even see what I can get for a car audio one to be able to run my amp in this car like I did my last, I love how they are bigger and you can add accessories easily.

Rhino, thanks for that list! If it comes down to changing any of the cables, I'll do all like you did and just change them all to be sure.

Fingers crossed I can get this solved, it's finally warming up here so it'll make me want to work on the car again.

Yesterday I woke up to more snow...

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

All I can tell you, is I’ve had a similar issue on the old truck I used to have and on my 05 LGT the culprit both times was the connection of the negative ground terminal. On my truck it was the ground wire connection to the body that needed to be tightened up and on my LGT it was the terminal connector itself. I replaced the terminal connector and haven’t had the problem since. Never had this issue with any fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk