LegacyGT.com

Coil pack brand and what is this vacuum line?

Hey Guys, my bone stock 2005 LGT with 95k miles started running really rough when accelerating onto the freeway. My wife drove it gently about 3 miles home. I pulled the codes and got PO302 (cyl 2 misfire) as a current code and P0303 (cyl 3 misfire) as a pending code.

I pulled the intercooler to see check for vacuum leaks. All looked good, except these two vacuum lines in picture 1 that are open to the air. They ae directly underneath the intercooler. Is this normal? Do they need to be capped or anything?

Next, I pulled plugs and pic 2 is what cyl 2 plug looked like. The tip is completely burned off! Any idea what would cause this?

I put in new plugs in cyl 2 and 4 and it still ran like crap and CEL light came on. I swapped cyl 2 and 4 coil packs and pulled codes and it said P040 - cyl 4 misfire. So, i'm hoping all I need to do is replace one coil pack and change the plugs in cyls 1 and 3. I have most of the cars service records going back to about 30k miles and it doesn't look like the plugs have been changed.

What brand coil packs are recommended? Napa has "ultra 8" brand for $85.00. Amazon has beck arnley for $57 and delphi for $69. Rock auto has a number of brands for $40 to $70. I'm sure my local subie dealer has OEM for $200 or something crazy. Anybody have suggestions on what brand to buy or what brand to avoid? I'm hoping to buy only one.

Thanks!

1378908450_subievacuumlinepic.thumb.jpg.54307946f5874aa5334d8c775840292e.jpg

1061847409_subiesparkplug.thumb.jpg.7d22feeb0d154ff9afab4de60a54408e.jpg

I'm guessing new OEM plugs all around (if those are original plugs they are long overdue for replacement) and one new coil pack would solve your issue. I've seen the Beck Arnley 1788392 recommended around here...supposed to be identical to OEM.
I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

>They ae directly underneath the intercooler. Is this normal?

Yes it is.

>What brand coil packs are recommended?

Whatever is cheap. I just bought three for $27 each of rock auto. 05 lgt is the same as the 04 wrx so check under the ignition.

ULTRA-POWER 5C1478 Ignition Coil $ 27.99 $ 0.00 3 $ 83.97

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1428791&parttype=7060

Especially since you're stock, you're not going to need more spark.

those lines are transmission ventilation i believe

do not cap them either way

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• 2 years later...
For sure clean the MAF as soon as you get any weird running. And when you do, make sure you clean inside the hole at the base of it, not just the exposed bulb you see when you pull it out. The actual air measurement happens inside the hole, the air temp sensor is the bulb.

Yes, do new plugs all around. Use NGK Iridium plugs, other brands can cause misfires. These plugs are a bitch to change so you'd rather do it right the first time.

I had a coil pack fail recently too. I did go for an OEM replacement, it was about 160 bucks. I've had too many bad experiences with aftermarket coils. But if you're going to go with a cheaper one, find one at an auto parts store with a good warranty.

Sounds like a cylinder not firing and fuel burning in your uppipe cat. This will do damage. Don’t run long enough to turn the pipe cherry. Once this is resolved I’d do an oil change in case fuel bypassed the rings and diluted the oil.

Thanks for your response. Should I replace the engine?

No. You should diagnose and repair. I’d start with the obvious.. spark plugs.. correct ones? Bad plug or coil pack? Coil pack not plugged in or plug damaged and not seating properly? Black coil plugs to the back of the engine?

• I Donated Too
Yes I installed a new MAF. Also I found the coil that was not seated right and fixed. But in the process one of the clips for the coil packs broke so not making a connection had to reorder a replacement.

And how are you ordering a replacement?

This is quite common by the way - You can wrap a cable tie around it (them) and make good, the clips on those connectors get brittle and break very easily. I have several like this for 10's of thousands of miles on both GT's with no issues...

Not sure how you're replacing it unless you're getting the parts off ebay to repair the end as they are basically at the ends of the entire engine harness so can't just be "replaced" - repaired yes, if you want to go that way. Interested to hear what you're doing...