LegacyGT.com

An 09 OBXT DBM Photo Journal

FutureFicus

9KcQLL.jpg

Pressed out and pressed in Whiteline KCA334 caster/anti-lift bushings into the Mevotech lower control arms. Hoping to install the control arms, along with Moog front endlinks, and the KDT903 rear carrier bushing inserts over the weekend.

edit: I realize that the rear bushing eccentric sleeves are mounted upside down in the photo. Oriented them correctly before I reinstalled the control arms.

Edited by FutureFicus
detail correction in photo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d71e87799b3a21d84b9b19d1f90c3952.jpg

So that was a brutal weekend getting the old lower control arms out and new ones in as well as a seized and stripped endlink. It was a hot one too

Install Notes

I followed a bunch of how tos on this forum to install these, these are not instructions, but a recap of things I'd tell someone who might be looking to start this job.

- Mevotech arms looked and felt great.

- Rear bushings pressed out with this ball joint rental from Autozone. It took some juggling and balancing of the components to rig it up, but it's doable with hand tools.

- KCA334 looked great and felt solid. The pressed it pretty easily, just making sure everything is lined up straight being that these are aluminum. Reused balljoint press, took my time and backed off often to make sure the bushing stays seated flat. At a certain point swapped to a rubber mallet to finish the job.

- Soaked every bolt/nut and balljoints to be removed in PB Blaster 2 days and each day before touching anything, didn't have any issues with any bolts. The pinch bolts weren't too much trouble backing out either.

- Balljoint was a chore, used a stubby flathead screw driver, gently hammered on it to loosen up the grip of balljoint cup.

- Used the jack and 15mm short sockets wedge technique between the spindle and lower control arm, working my way up in socket sizes/ or handtools to wedge in and hopefully pop it free. Got to a certain point where had nothing else that would work as a wedge. Grabbed the spare wheel lug wrench and used the flat side of it to hammer down on the lip of the joint. Beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet. Broke out a punch and hammer and tried localized hammering on the joint and spindle. Took a break, beat on it some more with the mallet and flat end of lug wrench, then just went all gorilla, grabbed it and violently wiggling it, pulling up pressing down using the LCA as a lever eventually pop it free. Paused to feel the victory, then remembered that there's the drivers side too...

- Coated spindle cup and pinchbolt hole with plenty of anti seize.

- Seating the new ball joint into the spindle wasn't too bad, used a hammer and jack to press it back in. Except when you don't do a proper job of cleaning out and rough/rust areas in the receiving cup. Well, off them came, broke out the wirebrush and made everything nice and smooth, especially the ceiling of the cup.

- This is your SECOND REMINDER, clean the cups out with a wire brush drill/dremel combo. I read others notes too and being sure to clean too, THOROUGHLY CLEAN IT.

- Stripped the OEM pinch bolt while wrenching it back into the spindle as it stopped moving forward and just kept spinning. Tried the bolt that came with the Mevotechs but it stripped as well in the same spot. Assuming that the receiving path is no longer straight causing the bolts to hit the face second section of the bolt path.

- Picked up an undersized Grade 8 bolt (forgot it's an M8 or M10, 2" or 2 1/2" will check), washers and nuts to pinch the cup joint together.

- Installed Moog front endlinks, they're goliaths compared to the stock ones.

- Driver's side front endlink, top nut was seized and I ended up stripping the hex. Broke out the dremel and cutoff wheel and went to town. Battery wasn't fully charge.

- REMINDER, make sure batteries are ready to go! Tried a hacksaw for a bit, got half way then called it a day. Eventually got it cut off the next day with a charged dremel.

- KDT903, was able to easily get the diff inserts installed but having trouble trying to break the cradle bolt loose to install the other bushing set! For now, I love the diff insert and how it ties the rear end together. I had the solid bushing on my 06 STi and it was one of my favorite mods.

- Schedule alignment.

Worth It!

Wow, the whole front end is amazing now, a whole different car. It feels much more nimble and agile. I didn't realize my car still had a floaty corner feel to it, now it's like it locks in and pulls through corners with a lot less drama. The back end comes together nicely with the diff bushing inserts. Now I think I need to address some of the rear control arm bushings.

Edited by FutureFicus
Photo added

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Damn, I'm digging your build! I didn't mean for this to happen but we both have very similar setups...

I've got 245/45 with the 18" XXR 530s too. Everything suspension-wise is Whiteline. I installed BC BR with Swift springs for the Outback.

I want to go to a smaller tire as well, it's too meaty and it gets chewed up. I just re-rolled the fenders and added more camber so I hope it stops the rubbing, but I haven't given it a drive since I made the changes (I live in NYC and I don't want to lose my parking spot during this crisis)

The smaller tire set-up looks great. Would you recommend the change to a smaller tire?

860810028_Subaru08Outback-1.thumb.jpg.613b8435fd6b160e1f0669f001032629.jpg

• 3 months later...
Damn, I'm digging your build! I didn't mean for this to happen but we both have very similar setups...

I've got 245/45 with the 18" XXR 530s too. Everything suspension-wise is Whiteline. I installed BC BR with Swift springs for the Outback.

I want to go to a smaller tire as well, it's too meaty and it gets chewed up. I just re-rolled the fenders and added more camber so I hope it stops the rubbing, but I haven't given it a drive since I made the changes (I live in NYC and I don't want to lose my parking spot during this crisis)

The smaller tire set-up looks great. Would you recommend the change to a smaller tire?

Nice man!!! Been MIA, trying to catch up on messages.

At this moment, I miss having the 245/45s. Mostly because I keep curbing my wheels with the 235/40s.

However, I'm about to get rid of these wheels for some 15x7s and AT tires. There are beaches here on Oahu that have some mean rocks/terrain that I'd like to get to with the family using my Outback. My wife has a 2017 Outback, but I just don't enjoy driving it as much.

Looking at 215/17r15 or 225/70/r15 along with a 2" lift

LOL!! Before you lift it please take a bunch of photos of it lowered with the big meats. Looks hilarious but works. One of my outbacks has a 2"front/2.5"rear + multi link spacer, if you wanna check it out, peep my build thread under outback photos.

LOL!! Before you lift it please take a bunch of photos of it lowered with the big meats. Looks hilarious but works. One of my outbacks has a 2"front/2.5"rear + multi link spacer, if you wanna check it out, peep my build thread under outback photos.

I’m onboard with that haha! Yes, your thread definitely helped to sort out the direction for my outback, much appreciated!

Ended up ordering the 2” with the multilink spacers. Excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I’m onboard with that haha! Yes, your thread definitely helped to sort out the direction for my outback, much appreciated!

Ended up ordering the 2” with the multilink spacers. Excited!

How cool! Can't wait to see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...
Would you look at that more Oahu members. That's a fine looking outback. What are your plans for the current wheels tires and suspension setup?

Thanks! Planning on selling them. Going to keep the Konis with the ADF lift kit.

Will be working on my install tomorrow

Went for a quick off-road jaunt with my son over on Eastside of Oahu. Son fell asleep on the way over but I still did a couple test laps, felt great and my son never woke up over the terrain. Sadly forgot to get a photo in the element. Here’s a quick snap after getting gas.

c4908ec08ae28fe30118ea54f1ad15e1.jpg

Right now I have a super minor rub at near full lock. I’m sure there wouldn’t be a rub if I were on OB front struts.

Stoked with the outcome!