LegacyGT.com

Why am I higher on the right?

tilt your head a little....

Honestly .5" how did you verify this... I would say your driver's side front springs have worn over the past 3 years due the fact that (if your like most of us) at least 50% of your driving is done with weight only on that side....

I was admiring my beautiful automobile a few days ago and I noticed that it sits about .5" higher on the right side front. The ground is level, the spring is seated properly and the tires all have 44 PSI. Any thoughts?

my question is why are you at 44psi?

It's because youre heavy and the springs on your side have settled a little more on the left.

honestly all the cars i've lowered with springs have settled slightly more on my side because i drive the car solo 90% of the time.

It's because youre heavy and the springs on your side have settled a little more on the left.

honestly all the cars i've lowered with springs have settled slightly more on my side because i drive the car solo 90% of the time.

It was the hair pushing you down in the seat.:lol:

What you need to do is, say you weigh 180lbs, put 360lbs in the passenger seat and drive like that for 3 years. That way you'll balance everything out.

Perfect, won't hurt the speed or balance of the car at all either.

You guys might be on to something with the solo driver thing. I'm the second owner and the first guy commuted alone all the time. But if that's the case, why is it only the front that's uneven? Wouldn't the weight on the side effect both front and back?

--vr4Legacy, I took a ruler, a laser pointer, a verneer caliper, a protractor some duct tape and a paper clip. I then constructed a precision measurement acquisition device which didn't work because the batteries where dead in the pointer. So I trashed that and broke out my Bic lighter, put it directly above my axle and up to the fender well. On the left side, the bottom of the lighter was touching the ring around the tire, on the right it was about a half inch higher than that ring around the tire.

--schwinghammer, My tires' max psi is 44 with a 1356 lb max load (which I am no where near in my Legacy). When you have high pressure in your tires you get better gas mileage, more responsive steering, more even tire wear and better handling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

if you have 44psi cold, when driving you will get easily 50psi - that must be a very uncomfortable ride. And no, your tires and suspension will wear out faster instead

Yes perhaps I should have been more specific there. It is 44psi HOT. The ride is very comfortable and responsive meaning I can feel the road and all it's wonderful defects very well. But perhaps you can clarify how higher pressure would wear the said components faster?

Also I stated that it was more even wear of the tires with 44psi not faster/slower, which is the max cold pressure of my tires, if they had 1356lbs on each of them. Which they don't.

BTW, I've had several performance vehicles (all with high tire PSI), some with full race suspensions, and the ol' LGT here rides the best out of them all. Also I've never had any premature wear of any suspension components or tires.

you should have 2-4psi lower in the rear than in the front due to AWD setup and car's weight in the front. 44psi is still too much in my book - though if you have stock suspension, maybe it's ok because it's soft anyways (I don't so I can't tell). Also, what tires are you using?

running at the max psi without having a heavy load will bulge out the center of your tire which will cause less surface area on rubber vs. road which will cause the center to wear faster than the rest of the tread which, in turn, will void any kinda of factory mileage warranty you may have (depending on brand/model of tire).

• 3 weeks later...
you should have 2-4psi lower in the rear than in the front due to AWD setup and car's weight in the front. 44psi is still too much in my book - though if you have stock suspension, maybe it's ok because it's soft anyways (I don't so I can't tell). Also, what tires are you using?

Sorry for the delayed response, my DSL went south so I hopped on a roadrunner.

My tires are Nankang sport NS-1's, and it's funny you mentioned the lower psi in rear because I ran about 4psi lower rear in all of my past fun cars which have all been RWD. I figured with the all wheel drive I would experiment a little and try the same all around. So far it's handled nicely (for stock), and I don't think the center is bulging. Like I said, it's 44 hot which was about 40 cold, considering the ambient temperature and everything.

Archived