LegacyGT.com

Engine stall problem

Oil Control Valves and typical problem with our turbo cousins doesnt show up too much on the non-turbo side of life not that it cant be the issue. Do you have any blinking lights?

Do you change your oil regularly?

I've been chasing a similar problem with my car over the past year, although mine only tends to manifest itself once it gets warmer. If temps are below 60F it never really seems to be a problem.

Once it's hotter, I get rough idle and then the car will stall while sitting at a light or something which can then throw a CEL occasionally, usually P0108. So I replaced the MAP sensor, seemed ok for a while but then the problem resurfaced again towards the end of summer 2014.

Thought the throttle body was dirty, cleaned that. Problem didn't go away. Checked for leaks, nope. MAF sensor looked clean. Good fuel pressure. Disconnected battery, discharged and reconnected (battery 2 yrs old, shows good power still) --rough idle was a better after that. But stalling still occurred....

...but then temps dropped as winter came so I just said f**k it, since with lower environmental temps and the engine seemed to be running ok. Did not come across the issue once during the winter and the car starts fine every day. Change the oil at regular intervals, running 0w30 which the car seems to like for the colder months.

Still not sure what the cause is, but maybe checking OCVs will be next (thanks for the tip GEE-OTTO)...hadn't really thought that was an issue for our cars but I guess I might as well.

I'm thinking its a transmission issue. This happens on some high mileage 5th gen legacies, and the torque converter is the culprit. Could be related to the AT fluid level/quality as well, or maybe a sensor in the transmission.

really....hmmm

I ran Motul ATF at one point and noticed some binding at lower temps so I switched it for Redline and it seemed to run pretty good but I guess I never figured it was the transmission. I'll have to diagnose once symptoms start to show with the warmer weather.

One thing I forgot to mention is that initially I found it was worse when A/C is running. At one point the A/C pulley had to be replaced along with the belts, so I did that but then I still had the issue. :confused:

:iam:

I think it might be the transmission/ torque converter. It bucks sometimes. I have 86k miles on her and am planning to change the tranny fluid at 100k. Maybe I should do it sooner and see if that makes a difference. I'm still running original tranny fluid.

On a side note, do you recommend using anything other then factory subaru ATF in the 4spd auto?

I think it might be the transmission/ torque converter. It bucks sometimes. I have 86k miles on her and am planning to change the tranny fluid at 100k. Maybe I should do it sooner and see if that makes a difference. I'm still running original tranny fluid.

On a side note, do you recommend using anything other then factory subaru ATF in the 4spd auto?

I have roughly the same miles, but I've changed it a total of 3 times now :lol: initially I was wanting to just have it done every 30k miles but mostly because I had issues with the Motul ATF it warranted the additional change. I think it helps to make the powertrain run smoothly with fresher ATF.

I'd probably just recommend sticking to the factory stuff for the fluid. Redline has been ok for me in terms of operation but may or may not be contributing to the issue with rough idle/stalling. Still hasn't really gotten warm enough for me for the problem to resurface just yet.

• 5 months later...

So just to update the situation, for sure it was not the ATF that was causing my symptoms.

turns out the MAP sensor had burned out again, but this is my second time replacing it within 12-15 months. No clue why it keeps happening, but it's definitely symptom free since swapping that.

• 2 weeks later...
I read a post about cleaning the catalytic converters with cataclean. So I bought a bottle and saw a immediate difference in the performance of my 2010 legacy. it used to almost stall when i stopped at red lights or before driving up a steep hill. Not anymore!

• 7 months later...
P0171 is/can be an PITA. Have you ever changed the AFR sensor?

Never mind. What I found for the solution was a gap between the air filter and its housing. This was letting too much air into the engine and causing a stall under high load. The air filter was aftermarket that I had not installed. It was too small to seal the airbox and therefore caused a stall.

I hope that fixes the problem, but I'm not sure.. The filter is before the maf sensor, so any extra air let in would still be metered by the maf sensor, and the air fuel mixture would be adjusted accordingly.

I was about to type this any thing prior to the MAF is simply intake vs after the MAF is a leak. But the MAF sensor is one of the possible culprits to the P0171 so maybe if was affected adversely or something. Keep up posted if you need help (we are nicer than the turbo crowd :lol:)

I was about to type this any thing prior to the MAF is simply intake vs after the MAF is a leak. But the MAF sensor is one of the possible culprits to the P0171 so maybe if was affected adversely or something. Keep up posted if you need help (we are nicer than the turbo crowd :lol:)

Coming up on a week, I still have no problems. I think the airbox seal was the culprit. I've purposely been driving in key areas where my car might stall, but nothing has come out of it. The only other thing I did was change the engine coolant, but I doubt that would have an effect.

engine temp sensor does funny things :eek:

The reason I changed the coolant was because P0171 troubleshooting in the vacation pics said check the temp sensor. My coolant was a little low so I just changed it. Whether or not it got rid of P0171, I'm not sure.

Yeah that's what I meant :) as in the temp sensor is one of the culprits of that code why that code is associated with MAF, AFR, coolant, O2 and everything else is funny. But I guess it makes you check over some critical systems on the car. Either way glad it's cleared up

Archived