LegacyGT.com

Wasp build Thread

I originally planned on just upgrading my fuel system to support a 20G, but after further consideration and advice... i'm taking the plunge. Might as well do a minor build so that i can actually take advantage of the turbo upgrade... without damaging my motor.

This is my first flat four build. I've decided to use R&L Engines of of 108 in Dover. I've heard some pretty good things about their work. We're disassembling the motor and bringing them the heads and block. I got a set of Wiseco 99.5 drop ins, Eagle forged rods and Clevite bearings all around. I didn't buy a new crank so i'm having this one polished. Also thinking of having the heads ported and polished. I've decided to stick with another set of OEM valves as i don't really see the benefit of going bigger (thoughts on this?).

Parts list:

Wiseco Forged Pistons

Eagle Forged Rods

ARP Head Stud Kit

Clevite Bearings (depending on valve clearance)

FMS TMIC Kit

Kinugawa TD06 20G

DW 740CC Injectors

DW65C 265lph Fuel Pump

Gates Timing Belt Kit (complete)

Subaru OEM HF Oil Pump.

Subaru OEM Master Engine Gasket Kit

TSK3 Sleeve kit

Optima Yellow Top Battery (stock just went)

K&N Typhoon Intake

Forge BPV

New OEM Oil Pan (w/ SickSpeed magnetic anodized plug)

Machine Shop: KJE Engine Design

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember to get the half moons for the valve covers, the gasket doesn't come with them, as well as the copper crush washers.

Also grease the starter shaft and tranny snout where the TOB rides.

I'm no expert, but are 740's a little small for a20g ?

Good Luck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Remember to get the half moons for the valve covers, the gasket doesn't come with them, as well as the copper crush washers.

Also grease the starter shaft and tranny snout where the TOB rides.

I'm no expert, but are 740's a little small for a20g ?

Good Luck.

740cc injectors are what BrenTuning recommended for this application. You think I should have gone bigger?

What made you choose clevite bearings ?

Tuning?

My first choice would have never been Clevite bearings. They only come n one size. 9 times out of 10 the high mileage flat fours are going to have different valve clearances than stock; so different clearances due to polishing the crank.

The fact of the matter is that the bearings came with the Eagle Rods as sort of a package deal. Ah well, such is life. I'll most likely have to purchase different bearings after the machine shop measures the VC.

740cc injectors are what BrenTuning recommended for this application. You think I should have gone bigger?

As I said, I'm no expert, if Bren said to use them you should be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My first choice would have never been Clevite bearings. They only come n one size. 9 times out of 10 the high mileage flat fours are going to have different valve clearances than stock; so different clearances due to polishing the crank.

The fact of the matter is that the bearings came with the Eagle Rods as sort of a package deal. Ah well, such is life. I'll most likely have to purchase different bearings after the machine shop measures the VC.

What does valve clearance have to do with main and rod bearing clearance?

for the cost of the head port & polish, you could get sti heads?

Why the typhoon intake? oem intake is more than good enough

what about exhaust (downpipe, cat back, etc)?

I already have DP, UP, CP+polished factory manifolds, and CBE. I bought the Typhoon a while back but took it off until i got a bigger turbo that would actually utilize it; i assumed that the power created from the build would surpass the limits of the factory intake. You can't buy STI heads for cheaper than what i'm paying to have mine rebuild and resurfaced.

:lol: inb4kaboom

I'm having my motor built professionally and warrantied by R&L Engines. Leo is actually exceptionally good at what he does. I guess i'm not sure just what you meant, Shawn? Unless of course you were confused by the pictures?

What does valve clearance have to do with main and rod bearing clearance?

I have no idea why i linked these two together??? :lol: Had a million things going on. I've been trying to budget this build... and as with most projects, the unexpected expenses appear.

hmm...I'm at 335wtq on stock intake. Even at the original 369wtq, the intake was not a limiting factor. If you already have it, why not? :)

if you choose to dyno, it would be interesting to compare between OEM and aftermarket intake. Hint, hint

Aside from the funny noises it makes... i wish i had never purchased the K&N. There are several others i would rather have, with CF bits, and complete shields that actually seal off the filter... or the stock snorkel and box;)

You know i won't BoxKitty! It's been a long time since i've had anything worth posting about... with that said... this should be fun. Considering i have no idea what i'm doing... thank God for friends! :lol:

Archived