LegacyGT.com

4th gen nav to android auto headunit conversion.

So I have wanted to do this project for a while and finally got my hands on a spare navi screen to chop up for it. I plan to use an ODROID C2 and Vu7+ to replace the origional screen and hopefully retain the functionality of the physical buttons using either the GPIO on the C2 or a microcontroller to act as a USB HIM. The screen is the right size, however the placment of the HDMI and micro usb power could possibly make it tight to the ac duct. Let me know what you think and bug me to keep on this project so it doesn't die like so many of my other projects have.1a0bfc6c1a61a9759ab69c73974ffe7a.jpg4ab2a9cc9d377ce38a85452ea524ef26.jpgddb0500ed958d510ce3a28c49e80f690.jpg214851965bc5570aab05f1f3e69f8551.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

So I got the head unit gutted and started fitting up the screen. It looks like it will fit wit room to spare. I had to cut one side of the bezel out to clear the connectors and circuit board. I plan to reuse the stock connectors on the back for power, accessory, backup (I plan to add a backup camera) , park, ignition, and i may even be able to tap into the CANbus and speed signals.b95c07f4f3d00cceab8b226870b37aa5.jpg2b327e29467e04c445708497ceecd9e9.jpg0395a7d1131b0767aa370d5fa8594feb.jpgf31f52a98a26228fe47d3cdb3dec9385.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

Nice, I was thinking about doing something similar at some point. Figured I would start with a nexus 7 and get that's setup with all the car related additions and then build the next version similar to what you've started with "on the bench".

So your phone will be used for internet connectivity, GPS, phone etc I assume? Which will need to be plugged in via USB correct?

Edited by nevets27

Nice, I was thinking about doing something similar at some point. Figured I would start with a nexus 7 and get that's setup with all the car related additions and then build the next version similar to what you've started with "on the bench".

So your phone will be used for internet connectivity, GPS, phone etc I assume? Which will need to be plugged in via USB correct?

Initially, but I have something in mind that might let me forgo that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Do tell as this looks very interesting. Android auto is nice but it does have some downfalls, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Mainly, you have to plug your phone in everytime and it can't do anything without it.

And second, you can't use any app, only ones Google allows and those apps can have restrictions placed on them.

So it sounds like you have a plan to solved the need to the phone to have to be connected and if you are going to be running btssm then you also can install whatever apps you like. So this sounds great to me.

Doing know much about open auto so I might play with myself in the near future but would like to hear more about your project as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of into on open auto as it's a new release (though I could have sworn I had heard of it before, but it could have just been a similar project)

I don't have factory nav so I'll have to do mine a bit different but I really like what you are doing. If you manage to sniff the CANbus and pull info out of it that will be huge. That would open up a lot of really interesting things.

actually through bluetooth or wifi. im having some issues atm where the touch screen isnt working but im working through that

Well, I am looking into different options for the main computer. The one I am leaning toward is the UP Squared. I am mostly leaning that way because I have one (the top of the line $319 dollar unit) that I am literally doing nothing with. It runs an Intel Pentium N4200 quad core x86 CPU, 8GB RAM, 128GB eMMC and I have a 128GB mSATA drive for it. For OS, I can run anything from Windows 10 to Ubuntu to Android or even my own custom Linux build. It has a mPCIe/mSATA and m.2 2230 expansion as well as SATA III, USB 3.0 a 40 pin GPIO 2 UARTs. I should be able to use a m.2 4g cell modem to get GPS/4G, the GPIO to reintegrate the front buttons and maybe some other goodies, and the UART to read CANbus with a protocol converter. The hard part of that is gonna be sorting out the CANbus data Has anyone ever stumbled across Subaru CAN id's for our cars? I have found ones for "subaru diesels" but I doube they will be the same.

Did some work to fit the UP Squared. The heatsink and standoffs come from the metal chassis kit for it. It looks like it will just fit in the stock housing after I trimmed the bracket and circuit board that holds the RCA and 4 pin tubular connectors. If I need more cooling I may need to squeeze a fan in there somewhere. 06f7560cae9f71509dcf0629fb5af5ce.jpg5bc415bd79c49d167c7b90991f39be5a.jpg25489661fa40434cfc2fbf9cd59cc7fc.jpg6977eba3a283f97ae01d8b7b6e5b6872.jpg

Had to order a different screen that should fit a bit better. The ODROID one has no Windows drivers for the touch control. I ordered a Waveshare 7" HDMI 1024x600 5pt capacitive touch screen, basically the same thing as the ODROID one except it claims to support Windows 10 and it is slightly narrower so i will have an easier time fitting it between the AC ducts.

Well, I am looking into different options for the main computer.

What made you decide to change what main board you were going to use?

Big jump from the odroid to the UP. But I guess it makes sense if you had it laying around.

What made you decide to change what main board you were going to use?

Big jump from the odroid to the UP. But I guess it makes sense if you had it laying around.

A couple things. Like you said, I had it on hand(To be fair, I have ALOT of SBCs on hand, I have a bit of an addiction.) , and I also have some experience programming in visual basic, so the option of windows 10 is interesting to me. The odroid is nice, and I may still go that way if there is a problem with the UP. it also has more io options including USB 3, M.2 for wireless, and SATA III. Also, it is about the most powerful SBC you can fit in there. Like I said, it is still fairly early in the project, so these things can change.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my new screen, it works great so far. I am gonna look into getting my 3d printer working again to make some brackets to fit it into the housing securely.

• 3 months later...
Ok, so it has been a while, but I have made progress. I switched to the original heatsink and added a 70mm low profile fan to it to make sure it stays cool. I may need to make some room in the mounting area for it, but we shall see. I have the Waveshare 7" touch screen and the UP2 mounted in the housing, I was originally going to leave the chopped up stock PCB with the connector in place and just solder to the pins I needed, but PCB's are so cheap and easy to design these days that it just made sense to roll my own. This will give me a place to mount my Meanwell 12V-5V 6A DC-DC converter and some level shifting circuitry for the IO as well as a convenient place to put an FFC connector for the front buttons (via a longer cable).a9c3c40b1ff8a1834c451b247f6b283b.jpgeb160ade9da2131e67a3e73e6f1214cb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Since nexus 7s are getting old and hard to come by.. and I may end up holding onto the LGT for a little longer.. Totally interested in this. Although, would probably prefer to run some kind of android image so I can run btssm..

If you have CANBus access, just use RomRaider logger instead of BtSsm to log... that's already got all of that done for you. You'll just need to convert the CANBus into a serial port for the computer to use. RomRaider logger runs on Windows and Linux, so it should be doable if you're planning on using a proper computer instead of something running Android.

Good point.. I actually have a small (9") laptop for romraider, but I wouldn't want to install that.. RR needs WinXP, IIRC? And it's hit-or-miss with Win7+? Linux might be a better choice.. I have the JDM (empty) bezel, wish there was a turnkey option for a tablet / carputer..

So this screen works with a Pi2 / Pi3?

Any android stereo / head units that fit into the space?

Good point.. I actually have a small (9") laptop for romraider, but I wouldn't want to install that.. RR needs WinXP, IIRC? And it's hit-or-miss with Win7+? Linux might be a better choice.. I have the JDM (empty) bezel, wish there was a turnkey option for a tablet / carputer.

Works fine in Win7, or Win 8, 10, etc. It's written in Java so it pretty much should run on anything that has a 32-bit JRE.