LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy GT Struts vs. "Standard" Struts

Should be a very simple question here: From the factory, is the only difference in the suspension of a 2012 Legacy GT vs. a regular Legacy, the stiffer struts? Looking at the part numbers that seems to be the only difference I see.

The reason I ask is that I will be replacing the struts on my 2012 Legacy Limited soon and am thinking about going with the GT struts from Subaru. I'm not looking to do any major modification, but tightening things up a little bit would be nice and the cost will be about the same either way.

Thanks for the response. By KYB's you mean the Excel-G's? They are cheaper than the factory struts, but are they really better? I don't see their better adjustable models listed for the 5th generation Legacy.

The factory struts were pretty good, just a little softer than I would like. I'd have to go through the records to be certain, but I think they are still the original ones from the factory with over 100K miles on them. They are just starting to leak a little but still haven't gone off too far.

Sorry if this topic has been covered somewhere else. The related discussions I have seen are mostly oriented toward modifications involving many parts and setup changes. I'm trying to keep it simple. If I can keep this car pretty close to new for another 100k miles, I'll be happy.

I put 2010-2012 KYB Excel-G on my 2012 2.5i with the stock springs before I sold it. They definitely helped the handling and it got rid of the highway instability. As mention above KYB is the OEM supplier of the struts.

This is very interesting. I had not considered struts from 2013/14. I wasn't thinking about going with KYB either. Now I'm thinking the KYBs for the 2013/14 might be the way to go. Thanks.