LegacyGT.com

Boost issue?

Not sure if I’m even having an issue but I noticed that my peak boost is only hitting 12.5 with a stage 1 tune. Target boost is 14.5. AF learning is at 6.5%. I have attempted a boost leak test a few times with no results. Can’t pressurize. I just get air coming out my oil fill. I know I need to pinch off a few lines but I really don’t know which. The diagram on boostleaktesters is for an sti not a legacy so it’s slightly different. Anyway. I can’t get it to work. Is there a simpler way in which I don’t need to pinch anything off? Obv going right to the turbo isn’t an option as it isn’t accessible. And yes yes I know that this has been posted about before. I read all of them and still can’t get it to work. I even tried just capping the intake and going through the small hose on the bov. Not working either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never bothered blocking any hoses when checking mine, or opening the oil filler, what's the reasoning for opening that? Reducing the risk of over pressurising the system?

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I've never bothered blocking any hoses when checking mine, or opening the oil filler, what's the reasoning for opening that? Reducing the risk of over pressurising the system?

Yes supposedly you can mess up the motor. So you were able to build pressure without pinching any lines off? Did you go straight to the turbo with the test or did you go through the inlet pipe?

Yea have heard of people blowing camshaft seals when chucking too much pressure in. My setup uses refrigeration gauges so exact pressure control is extremely easy to control. Doesn't hold pressure super well but, drops down in 5-10sec if bottle is closed. just have the bottle and gauges open holding 10psi, have found all my issues with that little pressure.

spacer.png

Hmm weird that I can’t build pressure. I have a similar gauge that I can also easily control pressure. About how long of having air on does it take for you to build the pressure? I would think it would build relatively quick. I got nervous when I hear all the air going into the motor and turn it off.

Are you able to test with a smoke machine , that way I guess you wouldn't need pressure.

I made a smoker out of a paint can but it doesn’t flow right. I think I’m gonna get a cheap Halloween fog machine and try that. Should work well

Only takes 10-30sec to get enough volume in there to hear any leaks.

A smoke machine still pushes some pressure. Some leaks won’t show up well without pressure. Especially rubber lines that need to be pushed open to leak.

Well looks like I did have one leak that I saw. Coming from the turbo inlet. Also noticed that the previous owner has removed the hose clamp for whatever reason. Just going to put a new inlet on In case it’s cracked. All the smoke seemed to be coming out of the bottom of the inlet. Tough to see it coming out but it makes sense if the smoke was in that area.

Tried to pressure test again also and couldn’t build pressure. Going to install the inlet and retest.

cbb86cb778f72691af6a856dc26803a6.jpg

dce0a8f302c6294982e7c0c3915d57cf.jpg