LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed mine this last Saturday. Instead of the coating I decided to put some reflective film on it.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/Drazengalic/Mobile%20Uploads/20150124_194321.jpg

Couple of things I noticed. The liner does not go back on to the underside of the hood. It might be able to, but I did not force it as it tears easily. The AC line bracket on the firewall mount is different on the LGT then WRX. There is a lip on the back of it that I needed to grind down to get the mount to angle properly. Here is what I'm talking about:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/Drazengalic/Mobile%20Uploads/20150124_184756.jpg

Otherwise I really like the intercooler and the splitter. Well engineered. What I really love is that you can access all the PIA hoses on the back of the manifold and below it without removing the intercooler. As my little BOV vacuum line got pulled off on the install and I could put it back without touching the IC. Very, very handy.

i had the same issue with the rear bracket. Seems like they didn't even test this for the Legacy. Something like that should have been noticed and the bracket should have been modified.

A heads up would have been nice, but I really don't think it was that of a big deal for me. I was going to use my angle grinder on it, but the damned thing decided to fail by setting itself on fire right as I fired it up (pun intended) to do this...ha ha ha... I think all that fiberglass grinding got to it.

After a drive I did notice that the hot side was warm to the touch, but the cold, was actually really cool. Even though the hot side sits right over the turbo, which I have a PTP turbo blanket on, I was expecting hotter. The temps outside were in the high 40's or so.

I had the same lip on my 05, but I just flattened it. It really wasn't a big deal. If you want to leave it intact, a washer under the bracket would allow that.

you can also just put the bracket on top and not have to grind anything. but I get it, grinders are fun. :cool:

IMG_4917.thumb.jpg.9f8b374a487052007a2d4cf6d439cc45.jpg

you can also just put the bracket on top and not have to grind anything. but I get it, grinders are fun. :cool:

For what it's worth, I didn't have to grind mine to flatten it. It's fairly soft.

But... Your suggestion works a whole lot better. Lol.

Edited by wicknetzel

I can't believe you gave up that easily and put it under the bracket... :)

As soon as I saw the damn lip on it, without hesitation I went for a 5-pound sledge, then thought better of it and busted out the grinder.

Thanks. That's more or less what my plan was so ill just run with that I guess. Not terribly happy with it though.

I'll try and take some pics when it's all done.

The same guy mentions later in the thread that he is thinking of 3D printing a better solution.

• Moderators

Posted this over at nasioc (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43045300&postcount=1001), copying over here :

gsrcrxsi & others: it *is* possible to get the extension piece installed over a samco hose. It's not easy but it can be done.

I rubbed a tiny about of superlube inside the extension piece, and with the help of a friend I was able to get it installed over the samco. I had the metal insert in the samco, and while I pushed the pieces together my friend worked a flathead screwdriver around the inside of the extension until we finally got it over the samco. Once it was pushed on a bit, it seemed to stay on fairly well. Tightened the hose clamp and I definitely don't think it will come apart or leak.

That said, it's still not my favorite solution and I think you are on to something with printing a small plastic elbow and using a straight extension piece. Interested to see what you come up with http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Other than that, things fit mostly great. I had to move the washer hoses for the windshield nozzles to get the splitter on. Also, on my OBXT it looks as though the splitter does not and on the OBXT the splitter does not make full contact with the TMIC, especially as you get toward the front of the intercooler. It's close, but I think the lower engine tilts the whole TMIC forward just a bit so as you come forward the splitter does not make full contact. May need to add some extra foam or similar material to get a better seal.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Now, FOR THE OBXT GUYS (and Grimmspeed):

The TMIC fits. The splitter fits. IMO, the splitter is not perfect for outbacks.

The front mounting point is attached to the engine, and therefore drops the front of the TMIC down towards the ground by approximately 1". The result is that the whole TMIC is tilted forward just a bit. Not a big deal, but the splitter material (the rubber) begins to lose contact with TMIC as you get towards the front of the TMIC. You can see the gap start to form there.

Big deal? Probably not. I think it can be fixed with some foam (or similar material) being stuck to the TMIC itself. I also may try some small spacers in between the splitter and the hood where the front fasteners are installed. I think this should angle the whole splitter similarly to how the TMIC is angled and things should line up.

Grimmspeed, maybe including spacers and new bolts/screws for those mounting points would be the ticket for the OBXT guys :)

• Moderators
Now, FOR THE OBXT GUYS (and Grimmspeed

The TMIC fits. The splitter fits. IMO, the splitter is not perfect for outbacks.

The front mounting point is attached to the engine, and therefore drops the front of the TMIC down towards the ground by approximately 1". The result is that the whole TMIC is tilted forward just a bit. Not a big deal, but the splitter material (the rubber) begins to lose contact with TMIC as you get towards the front of the TMIC. You can see the gap start to form there.

Big deal? Probably not. I think it can be fixed with some foam (or similar material) being stuck to the TMIC itself. I also may try some small spacers in between the splitter and the hood where the front fasteners are installed. I think this should angle the whole splitter similarly to how the TMIC is angled and things should line up.

Grimmspeed, maybe including spacers and new bolts/screws for those mounting points would be the ticket for the OBXT guys :)

What if the front of the TMIC were lifted to match the amount of "lift" on the back?

Based on this, I think I should have no issues with my STi STB

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/CA6E8C3C-0662-4E13-B678-9D2C4524D072_zpsfki2lidv.jpg

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/47C04D81-86A7-4FB1-9854-BFF62CB17B83.jpg

Perhaps putting the rear mount bracket under the A/C pipe brace and putting a thicker washer under the front mount point would give you the fore-aft balance you need to level it against the splitter seal.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators

Again, raising the front of the core could cause issues with the 2 hose fitments. Better to adjust the splitter that is attached to nothing but the hood.

And mine is already installed under the ac bracket due to the lip that is there. That only makes an 1/8" difference where the engine difference is closer to 1" on the OBXTs according to the info I've come across.

• Moderators

No no no, it's not just about the samco. The samco actually has a lot of flex. I'm saying that if you raise the core itself, you may have issues with the turbo hose and the TB hose. The connections at the turbo/TB will remain the same, but you will be hoping for more "flex" in order for the other ends of the hoses to connect to the core.

Does that make sense? The splitter is really attached to nothing but the hood, so there's really no other "conflicting interests" to deal with. Just move it around as needed.

Got it. Fix the splitter, let the rest, well rest where it is. But, adding a washer under the front edge would get you an 1/8" or so closer without impinging the two end hoses that much.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -