LegacyGT.com

2013 3.6R Differential Leak?

I noticed a drop of dark liquid on the floor of my garage yesterday and another today when my wife left for work. It looks as though my rear diff is leaking. I felt the top and also used a mirror to check if it was the breather hose was the culprit, but the top of the diff is dry. The fluid doesn't smell, but the texture and color does lead me to believe it's diff fluid.

It seems to be contained on the drivers side of the diff, the diff mount is filled/covered in fluid. I can see there is discoloration on the diff where their has been fluid on it. I did notice the passenger side rear axle boot and where it goes into the tranny is caked with old road grime and prob diff fluid, not sure why that side wouldn't be wet too.

Thoughts? I can always take more pics.

20190709_111102.thumb.jpg.2f3b8a3d6430cfa67e5df16c7b508cf3.jpg

20190709_170628.thumb.jpg.465e698991b816fb3c4ed1d3cf3e4d7a.jpg

20190709_170644.thumb.jpg.35230016ed801657a955e4ff5925f698.jpg

If it doesn’t smell then it’s probably not gear oil. Gear oil has a lot of sulphur in it. It stinks to high heaven.

It sure looks like it and is in the right place, though. I’d say you should clean the whole area thoroughly and see if you can figure out where it’s coming from after that.

This is odd. I cleaned it up, can't find the source. I popped the diff fill bolt and bit of golden honey fluid came out, smell and all. So it doesn't seem to be from the diff. I guess I'll have my wife drive it tomorrow and check when she gets home.

:spin::eek::confused: Well that's a first! Thanks for the info. I assume that must be it based on the location and color of the fluid.

Seems that is it! https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/420986-fluid-filled-rear-diff-bushing.html

Thank you so much!!