LegacyGT.com

A few minor issues - Squeak when turning and hard start

Edit: attached learning view. Looks like a it of a leak.

I am having a few minor issues that I wanted some input on.

The first is I am hearing a squeak somewhat like worn brake pads when I am turning slow, less then 10 MPH. I just had my tires rotated and the day after the ABS light came on for a few minutes then turned off. After that I noticed a squeaking noise when turning into driveways/parking spots. Does it on right and left turns. I was thinking wheel bearing, but with the low speed sound and ABS possibly the differential? Fluids are clean and always full.

Second issue is the car was hard to start today. It took 2 tries of cranking to get the car started. I usually insert the key for a second then turn on the car. I know the fuel pumps can take a moment to start up. Temp out is around 50 - 55. Battery is fairly new, but not ruling that out. I do have a DP, which recently I am getting a lot of exhaust smell in the cabin and when I popped the hood and fired up the car I can smell exhaust near the DP/Turbo, which may also be coming from the crossover pipe.

Thanks!

romraiderLTV_20181120-120624.png.84aa98714632d96bd981734c4b5da5fd.png

The starting issue seems to be due to a loose battery terminal.

The exhaust smell was an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. That took some fiddling (hate those metal gaskets), but I got it all sealed up.

Those issues are taken care of.

I am still hearing the squeak when I turn left/right slowly. Any ideas what the cause is? :spin::spin::spin:

Thanks everyone. I did check the PS fluid as one of the first items, full and clean.

You need to get under the car and take a good look and may be take the brakes apart and inspect the hub.

I'll get back under there and tear into it. I did look for any leaking axle boots or anything else out of the ordinary. Visually everything seems fine.

I find it odd that the sounds comes at low speeds. Anything over 10 - 15 MPH and no sound.

FWIW, A few years back after my trusted mechanic installed a cardone left front axle, I noticed a clicking sound in the summer time with the windows rolled down. The sound would happen when I pulled away from a stop sign.

I stopped by one day and told him I have a question about that axle he put in. He said back to me, "is it making a clicking sound?" I said yes, e said, " they found that some of them were a little to long" he replaced it and its been fine for years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, A few years back after my trusted mechanic installed a cardone left front axle, I noticed a clicking sound in the summer time with the windows rolled down. The sound would happen when I pulled away from a stop sign.

I stopped by one day and told him I have a question about that axle he put in. He said back to me, "is it making a clicking sound?" I said yes, e said, " they found that some of them were a little to long" he replaced it and its been fine for years.

After an accident with my Jetta many years back a mech put on an aftermarket axle. It clicked as well. I had them replace with an OEM and fixed it right up.

On my LGT I have a SURTRACK from Rockauto. It was all fine until the tire repair and rotation. After I installed the axle it felt just like the OEM.

I still have my original axle that I can reboot worst case.

I would reboot the OEM axle and put it in. I had my right front rebooted at the first sign of it leaking. Wish I would have done that with the left many years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yeah, a lot of us are cheap...but there comes a time when you realize, it's time to pony up and pay the price.

At 64y/o, I'll do the easy stuff, I now let the experts do the bigger jobs.

• 4 months later...

I fixed the boot on my orig axle and replaced the aftermarket axle.

Car is still squeaking/grinding at low speeds (5 - 10 MPH), but is doing it when driving straight and sometimes when turning. It sounds like brakes dragging on the rotors. I guess next thing to replace/check is the wheel bearing. Really hoping it's not the differential.

Check and see if you got a rock stuck somewhere in the brakes. That did it for me once after they "repaved" the road in my neighborhood. You can also try putting the car on jack stands and have someone rev it up to 10mph while you look for the grind.

Check and see if you got a rock stuck somewhere in the brakes. That did it for me once after they "repaved" the road in my neighborhood. You can also try putting the car on jack stands and have someone rev it up to 10mph while you look for the grind.

Ahh a rock. Let me check that.

I would need to get all 4 tires off the ground for the rev method, correct becuz AWD?

I am hoping I found the issue. The lower caliper pin on the drivers side does not move freely. I'll grease it up and hopefully that solves that.

Edit: I guess I need a new rubber "boot" that goes over the pin. Mines swollen and won't go back into the hole. Always something.

I had that problem, I think the green permatex I lubed the pins with expanded the rubber, lots of similar complaints on Amazon with the green and purple permatex brake lubes. I'll only use something like sil glyde on pins with boots now. I bought a few new boots last year, one aftermarket kind didn't fit my non-turbo 09 caliper pins.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/caliper-piston-corrosion-and-guide-pin-bushings-269717.html?p=5791758

I had that problem, I think the green permatex I lubed the pins with expanded the rubber, lots of similar complaints on Amazon with the green and purple permatex brake lubes. I'll only use something like sil glyde on pins with boots now. I bought a few new boots last year, one aftermarket kind didn't fit my non-turbo 09 caliper pins.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/caliper-piston-corrosion-and-guide-pin-bushings-269717.html?p=5791758

I see grey permatex on the pin and when I cleaned the hole with a q-tip I see green mixed so obv it swole and not in a good way. :) I guess OEM is the way to go based on your thread or remove all together as people mentioned. Hmmmm

Edit: Replaced the pin without the sleeve. The sound is not as loud as it was, but when I push the brakes I can hear the sound faintly the whole time I hold the brakes. Maybe pad is rubbing on rotor?

How do the pads look? When my pin was seized, the inner pad on the piston was more worn than the outer pad. Makes sense, pistons can still move just fine, but the outside of the caliper can't clamp down properly. Maybe the pads are just a little rough, or.. I don't know what you'd call it, abnormal from uneven contact from that seized pin. With a little time the problem may get better now that the caliper slides freely? Also, it doesn't sound like the diff to me, I was getting a noticeable click from mine when turning at slow speeds, never any issue when going straight.

*I forgot to mention, having the lower pins seized also caused my pad shims to shift somehow, just somethin else to take a peek at.

Archived