LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

If we wanted to really nerd out on this and someone wanted to take a whack at CAD modeling the car with some representative engine bay/undertray geometry, could do some CFD runs with various vent placements to get an idea of how they'd work out flow-wise. I do aero design/analysis (among other things) for a living, and have access to the compute cluster at work off-hours. I know you can already find LGT body models on the interwebs to get the body geometry.

Just sayin :D

I've been curious as to just how much air comes in through the scoop, front grill, and lower grill. So many people run without the under shield or engine cover that I can't imagine either really do that much.

No concept on the amount of effort that takes though lol. Didn't even realize you could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my rear sway bar on. Took quite a while honestly. 3 hours. Had no trouble getting stuff off, but getting the kart boy end links on was pretty difficult. I'm not sure if I should have lifted the car, done the work, then put it on ramps to torque everything down. I just drove it onto ramps and did all the work under load.

Got my rear sway bar on. Took quite a while honestly. 3 hours. Had no trouble getting stuff off, but getting the kart boy end links on was pretty difficult. I'm not sure if I should have lifted the car, done the work, then put it on ramps to torque everything down. I just drove it onto ramps and did all the work under load.

I find it easier to lift one side slightly at a time to get the right angles so that the holes line up straight. Not that it matters now though since you’re probably not going to touch those endlinks again unless you’re using the Whiteline adjustable bar.

I am indeed using the adjustable. I also have a front sway at the storage unit that'll go on when I do my lgt steering rack. It's set to soft right now but we'll see where I go from there. Also if the powder coat on it doesn't hold up like they are known for doing, I'll be getting it recoated in a few years likely.

Good to know. I thought it might help to jack it up some to change the angle but I was at my apartment and didn't have my jack anyway. I tried twisting and pulling and lifting the car with my legs. I figure since it's not exactly movable, if it's all in and torqued, then it's good to go right?

I've been curious as to just how much air comes in through the scoop, front grill, and lower grill. So many people run without the under shield or engine cover that I can't imagine either really do that much.

No concept on the amount of effort that takes though lol. Didn't even realize you could do that.

Depends on the level of accuracy you want, I think. The more complex the geometry that's resolved in the CAD model the trickier it'll be to get running reliably. Gotta spend some time thinking where it's OK to cut some corners to simplify stuff without losing too much resolution. Probably a few weekends worth of effort. Sorta sounds like fun, too bad I can't bring beers to work :lol:

Depends on the level of accuracy you want, I think. The more complex the geometry that's resolved in the CAD model the trickier it'll be to get running reliably. Gotta spend some time thinking where it's OK to cut some corners to simplify stuff without losing too much resolution. Probably a few weekends worth of effort. Sorta sounds like fun, too bad I can't bring beers to work :lol:

Yea that would be real cool. I could probably chip in motivation money lol. Sounds better to give you a few bucks than try to tape yarn all over my hood, front bumper, and roof. And then do it again with Madrigs hood scoop and removing hella horns and auxiliary light placements....

So the engineers at my work use sketch up some. You can print 3d models with it but I don't think it's ideal. It's mainly used as a drafting software for architecture. Most of our 3d printing is done with autocad.

Idk if you can do a step file but I imagine you can. As for 3d printing with it you need to save to the right file and then I think there's some finagling wall thickness and stuff. There's some walk throughs on teh interwebz.

If you can use that awfulwaffle, I might have enough of an understanding to adapt that one to a wagon, and an outback as well. Maybe....

So the engineers at my work use sketch up some. You can print 3d models with it but I don't think it's ideal. It's mainly used as a drafting software for architecture. Most of our 3d printing is done with autocad.

Idk if you can do a step file but I imagine you can. As for 3d printing with it you need to save to the right file and then I think there's some finagling wall thickness and stuff. There's some walk throughs on teh interwebz.

If you can use that awfulwaffle, I might have enough of an understanding to adapt that one to a wagon, and an outback as well. Maybe....

I wonder if we can just shoot an email to SOA corporate and ask them straight for the autocad file(s). BL/BP is >15 years old now, platform has been retired and any competitor did their analysis on it more than a decade ago.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

We need wagon too !

The VERY ambitious idea would be to have a model for wagon and sedan with separate layers for hood, scoop, spoiler, body height, wheels, grille, front bumper, and the two different roof rails on the wagon/outback. Extra ambitious is different layers for rear bumpers and under body stuff.

I'm not really sure what's most important for cfd, but for initial discussion, we are really just looking at engine bay so I'd think order of importance is front bumper, grille, body height. I haven't had a chance to download that model or look for others to determine if I can chop it up.

Honestly though, I'm a bike mechanic not a 3d modeler, so don't get too excited here.

I wonder if we can just shoot an email to SOA corporate and ask them straight for the autocad file(s). BL/BP is >15 years old now, platform has been retired and any competitor did their analysis on it more than a decade ago.

Oh that would be fantastic. Think they'd do that? I'll trying drafting an email tomorrow. That's a much better base to work from I imagine.

Certainly worth a shot. Worst they can say is no, right?

For CFD purposes, if we get the front end/bay right, we can rough in the rear of a wagon just to get decent boundary conditions for the part of the model that matters. I sorta doubt that the wagon body would have a major impact up by the grille/scoop, anyways, at the air speeds involved

Even "right" is relative - we'll often defeature the parts of models that aren't deemed to be major players in what we're looking to analyze, to knock down the computational cost. I think I agree with Nonamedude's listed priorities - front end and air entry points, body height.

Edited by awfulwaffle

You might want to get an underbody view as well. Think about the prospect of being able to bend and weld piping for an exhaust system. Want to go up to a 3 inch exhaust? This view would tell you if you can and the exact placement and bend angles. No test fitting required - just make it on a bench and have it fit exactly without having to hold up pieces against the chassis and cut and tack weld as you go along.

What range of model year WRX/STi driver's seats basically drop into an 05 LGT again?

Found a good condition 2010 WRX seat with heat near me, and my wagon driver seat is trash. Idc if I only have one newer seat as long as my ass is in it.

If this is taking off, a dedicated thread would be best.

I'll make a dedicated thread once I start messing with the models as I'm sure I'll be asking people for measurements.

In the mean time, I don't think there is really much more to say about it. I'll ask people to hold their requests until we have a thread.

Edited by Nonamedude

What range of model year WRX/STi driver's seats basically drop into an 05 LGT again?

Found a good condition 2010 WRX seat with heat near me, and my wagon driver seat is trash. Idc if I only have one newer seat as long as my ass is in it.

That should bolt right in and only need some minor wiring work.