LegacyGT.com

Turboxs UTEC vs Cobb Accessport

subylegacy

Ditto... I have been researching this a lot myself as I plan to take the plunge into engine management soon and would like some feedback regarding Ecutek vs. AP vs. PerfectPower7, etc. Does one offer better "bang for the buck" or are they all basically different routes to the same place?

I personally went through this stage too

Cobb AP costs more money and is not as user tunin friendly as UTEC

Street Tuner costs 300 bucks on top of AP which is like 600

I got my UTEC for 450 shipped (used)

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

UTEC has launch control and easy map switching.. that's really the only advantage I can think that really sets it apart from a ProTune AccessPort. Some tuners still like the UTECs more, so it depends on the tuners in your area. Piggyback hardware still makes me nervous, and the crossover point can still be not as smooth as a reflash like ECUtek or AccessPort.

UTECs new are over $700 right? New AccessPorts are $645 + a couple hundred for a ProTune.

UTEC Pros

Firmware Upgradeable, Free updates.

Rev. Launch Control and quick Map switching w/ switch

Tuning for Big MAF, and extreem aftermarket modifications can be easier to tune for than on Cobb.

Realtime map editing capabilities.

Wideband intergration

DTEC integration

Some very sweet capabilities coming down the road (speed density anyone?)

UTEC Cons

Cross over needs to be massaged but can be made pretty smooth with some work.

Cost compaired to a plug-n-play AP.

Learning Curve for tuning may keep people away from it's best feature.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

I had a utec tuned by none other than turboxs and even they could not give me a smooth transition from closed to open loop. they've updated the software for wrx's and apparently made an improvement, but the software has not been updated yet for sti's or lgts. I considered that a major downside to the utec if you value a refined/stock-like throttle application. but the utec is definitely easier than an AP for multiple maps and switching betw them.

I'd recommend doing some extensive reading here and on nasioc before making your choice btw the two.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Hey Alex, I got mine smoothed out by anaylizing what was going on with the car... it does the jerk in open loop mode when TPS > 25 and it switches over to the UTEC map...

First I set the switch over TPS to 35%, this keeps me out of the UTEC map while cruising around, and until I want it, usually 100% TPS anyway....

Second, I up'ed the timing on the 2-3k rpm range in the 10% column to smooth the transition between stock timing in that area and the UTEC map. Stock timing is around 35 deg and the timing with the UTEC default map is around 25... I bumped it up to 30 deg and it smoothed out. It's the timing transition that causes the annoying hesitation...

Does turboXS make a remote map switch for Legacy's? I know the standard one is a differnt switch cover style than that found in the Legacy's.

I had both an AP and a UTEC for my WRX at one point. I always wanted to tune the UTEC, but never had the time, and found that I never needed to switch maps. For me, just casually using, the AP was far better than the UTEc. If you are going to the bleeding edge, or adding nitros or alky or water, then the UTEC is definately for you. If you are staying at stage 2 or maybe even a stage 3, then the AP is for you.

TXS doesn't really acknowledge the LGT existing at all lol...at least not in their product descriptions... The map switch faceplate is designed for a impreza. I have mine running at the side of center console tunnel for easy access and out of view.

Map switching is really only useful if you plan on running two different fuels and boost levels... One map for 93 oct... one map for 100 oct, one map for 116 oct... With a flip of the switch and a few gallons of 116 the car can gain +50hp depending on mods, and tune.

Let me know what you guys think about this. Downs and ups on these most popular engine management for subarus.

One (the AccessPORT) is a map transportation device; the other (the UTEC) is a piggyback/hybrid engine management system that requires a laptop interface.

Many write-up and comparisons have been completed on this and other forums. I would suggest you take your time, research, and then purchase the product that best suits your application/meets your needs.

Take care,

Christian.

Archived