LegacyGT.com

avoid santa monica subaru at all cost

subylegacy

This is what I wrote to SOA to complaint

On Feb 1st, I took my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT to Santa Monica Subaru because it was making unbearably loud noise when I am driving the vehicle. When I arrived at the service center, George Arboleda told me that if the problem is caused by the transmission, there will be no charges made but If the problem is caused by the clutch, I am going to have to pay $100. So I agreed.

On Feb 2nd, I received a call from George Arboleda. He told me that they checked the transmission, checked the clutch and even test drove the car but they didn't find any problem with the vehicle. So I told him that I will be there the next day (Feb 3rd) and I request to test drive the car with the technician.

On Feb 3rd, I stopped by SMS (Santa Monica Subaru) service center and paid $100 for the inspection and test drove the car with service manager Bill. He said there is definitely something wrong with the vehicle. I was told that since the car drives fine except for the grinding sound, Bill told me to take the car with me and bring the car on Feb 7th, because Subaru technician will not be in until then.

On Feb 7th, I dropped off my vehicle once again at the service center.

On Feb 13th, I received a call from George Arboleda, he told me that they need to lift the transmission to find out what's wrong with the vehicle but warranty will not cover my car because it has aftermarket modification. So I asked him loud and clear if I change the modified parts to stock parts will it be cover with the warranty, he told me yes bring the car back to stock and it will be covered. So I picked up my car and spent money out of my pocket to bring it back to stock. and dropped off my vehicle once again at the service center on Feb 15th.

I believe on Feb 22nd, George Arboleda called me and told me that warranty will not cover my vehicle because it was once modified. Then I called Subaru of America and talked to Bill about my situation. I told him, I am not trying to argue about warranty issue. The problem is, it has been more than 3weeks since I went to service center, George from SMS should have told me that warranty won't cover my car from the day I brought the car in. I am pretty sure he knew that warranty will not cover the vehicle with aftermarket parts installed. I don't know what he was thinking when he told me to bring the car back to stock so the warranty will cover it. And If he didn't know, I think that is something he should know because that is part of his job. Because of his misleading, I have spent so much money and time, such as 3 weeks of rental, the money I spent to bring the car back to stock and most importantly, he made me spend 3 weeks of time for nothing. matter of fact, they didn't even know what the problem is.

Bill from Subaru of America told me that, SOA will pay full amount if the problem is not caused by aftermarket parts I installed. If the problem is actually caused by those parts I installed, SOA will be paying only half of the cost and I pay the other half.

On Feb 27th, I called Santa Monica Subaru and told them to go ahead and lift the transmission.

I believe about a week later, I got a call from SMS service manager Bill, he told me that the problem is caused by transmission fluid. There was wrong fluid pour into transmission. Therefore, the transmission overheated and I need a whole new transmission. He also informed me that SOA will only pay half of the cost to fix it.

In my opinion, I don't believe that's what really happend. Because I had my 30,000 mile tune up at the suby specialties in Monrovia, CA. These guys have been working on only Subarus for ages. It's hard to believe that they'd make some mistake like that. Other than that, nobody else ever touched my car.

I told Bill from SMS to go ahead and proceed with ordering the transmission. I had no choice but to pay thousands of dollars for something I had nothing to do with. It really pissed me off but what can I do.

On Mar 20th, George from SMS called me and told me that they are almost done with installing the new transmission but he said my clutch and flywheel needs to be replaced. The day I brought the car in, I paid $100 to check the clutch but George told me that they didn't find any problem with the clutch. This is one of many reasons why I can't trust them. When he told me about the clutch and flywheel, I had this weird feeling that the main problem is actually the clutch and flywheel not the transmission. I stopped by many transmission shops and asked them for advice because I felt that SMS is making a big mistake. Each and every technician I spoke to, they said if the transmission is overheated because wrong fluid got injected to the transmission, the car won't be driveable at all. But my car was driving like it was brand new. It was just the unbearably loud noise that was bothering me.

So I told SMS not to replace the clutch and flywheel. Because the reason why I went to the service center is because of the sound. I wanted to see if transmission was what caused the loud noise.

Today on Mar 28th, I went to SMS and paid $2,610 and picked up my car. Hoping everything is alright. Just as I expected, my car is still the same as 2 month ago. The same unbearable sound was still there. So basically I paid $2,610, waited 2 month and the rental...... for what?

After I noticed the same noise I drove back to SMS and complaint about the problem to service manager Bill. Bill said that they are still waiting for the rear differential to come in, and that the fix is not complete yet. This is what he told me when I drove back to complaint about the problem. He didn't tell me that when I saw him at the service center before paying.

Since he said, rear differential will be in on friday and it will be covered with the amount I paid already, I am going to wait once more and see if everything comes together. If not, it's about time to step forward and get my money back.

excuse my writing skills ^^ english is my second language..

Sounds like you got taken to the cleaners. They probably took advantage of your lack of knowledge about warranties and your willingness to pay. The burden of proof is on them to show that anything you did caused the problem. Sounds like your diff may be the real problem.

Of course, if the wrong fluid was put into your gearbox and/or differential by another shop, then they should own up to the damage.

the fix is not complete yet.

i wonder if they would ever say that if you had never returned and complained.

anyway this whole thing just doesn't sound right to me... i'd like to know SOA's response.

This Space For Rent

This entire story sounds off to me. If you have a manual transmission, you have oil in it, not "transmission fluid". It is pretty hard to screw up a manual transmission because of the wrong oil under normal use. I think you needed to have someone show you the damage to your old transmission. Either gears and bearings are damaged or they are not. There is no mystery to this.

It sounds like the problem was the differential all along and the the transmission was just the work of parts switchers rather than mechanics. Always beware parts switchers. Good mechanics diagnose a problem in no time. For example- did the sound occur in all gears or just one or some?

Wow. First, I'd get a declaration from George and whoever worked on your transmission stating exactly how they discovered the wrong fluid was in your transmission, the damage it caused, and the reason why it led to you needing a new transmission. Tell him you need it in order to get Suby Specialties to reimburse you for your share of the tranny. If what they say is true (huge "if" I might add), then Suby Specialties should pay.

What it sounds like, though, is that the problem you had all along relates to the rear differential. If they switch out your rear differential and your noise goes away, I would insist that they give you back everything you paid them since the problem will not have been the transmission as they originally suspected. If they claim your mods are responsible for the rear diff, make them state exactly how.

That all sounds like BS to me.

i hear this crap all the time. ive warned people on this board about santa monica subaru numberous times...just search.

i had a customer come in the other day, heard soemthing strange from the engine, santa monica subaru said it was rod nock and the motor needed to be replaced....he then brough it to irvine and they found it was just a clogged cat. A CLOGGED CAT! That is a 4 thousand dollar difference in problems.

ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION! AND GO TO A MOD FRIENDLY DEALERSHIP!! THERE ARE PLENTY!

NO ONE SHOULD EVER EVER GO TO SANTA MONICA SUBARU SERVICE DEPARTMENT THEY ARE ALL THE DUMBEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!

They lie and they break cars!

The sales department however is a great one with great deals:)

What mods do you have that would lead to your transmission problem? They have to prove that the mod you installed caused the problem before they can deny your warranty.

Suby Specialties is a very reputable shop, they know more than other so called Subaru Technicians that works at the dealers.

I am pretty sure that there was no problem with the tranny, I think they assume that it was tranny issue because after they change the tranny with brand new one, it was no different from 2 month ago.. same problem..

The mods i have on my car is catless turboback, catless uppipe, sti utec, shortram intake, tein springs, and aftermarket wheels..

The only warranty that they should void is yor exhaust, and struts because that is the only thing that you replaced on your car. If your engine blew up then they could say it was caused by the reflash.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a totally different experience at SMS. Not arguing with you however. The service guy who assisted me was Louie. My car and a SEVERE grind only in reverse and it was on a car with under 10K. It seemed at first that they were going to string me along with the loaner but my GF showed up and played uberbitch really well. After about 3 weeks with a new Tribeca as a loaner, they replaced my entire transmission free of charge, honored the warranty and SOA gave me a 7 year, 100000 mile warranty extension. When I walked in there initially, I noticed some of those guys looked a lot more with it than some of the other service guys. I was careful.

Sorry man. Best of luck. Take it to SOA, SOA seems to have serious veto power over the dealership. Keep us posted.

i hear this crap all the time. ive warned people on this board about santa monica subaru numberous times...just search.

i had a customer come in the other day, heard soemthing strange from the engine, santa monica subaru said it was rod nock and the motor needed to be replaced....he then brough it to irvine and they found it was just a clogged cat. A CLOGGED CAT! That is a 4 thousand dollar difference in problems.

ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION! AND GO TO A MOD FRIENDLY DEALERSHIP!! THERE ARE PLENTY!

NO ONE SHOULD EVER EVER GO TO SANTA MONICA SUBARU SERVICE DEPARTMENT THEY ARE ALL THE DUMBEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!

They lie and they break cars!

The sales department however is a great one with great deals:)

sleepin gt,

If you don't mind me asking, and my apologies to the original poster for taking this off topic, but what are the mod-friendly dealerships in SoCal?

I purchased from Sangera in Bakersfield.

-Jim

I'm not clear on this... So rennick is will honor warranty with mods or will they give me a hard time. I have a stage 2 with a protune but I can revert it to stock... Am I cool going there?
...sporting the hottest Legacy on the westside of my block:icon_bigg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived